Mexican Vehicles

Area for General NON-Jeep related chat. Topics are typically not moderated, but must fall within the Use Guidelines.

Topic author
fxtechphx

Mexican Vehicles

Post by fxtechphx »

Yesterday I was driving down the freeway and spotted a Toyota Hilux will Mexican license plates and it got me wondering a question.
Is it possible to buy a vehicle in Mexico, register there but keep it in the States? That way you could get a vehicle that isn't normally available
Tomorrow we may face destiny, we may fight and die and fall to the fires of perdition, but tonight is ours, and we drink and make merry.

derf

Re: Mexican Vehicles

Post by derf »

I don't know about maintaining registration there. You can, if you jump through some hoops, import vehicles and get them titled and registered here. There are some restrictions but it's not as hard as you might think.

irondawg

Post by irondawg »

My friends have a house in Monterrey and were going to bring a car over and decided not too as it's too much of a problem so ended up keeping it there and they drive down there.
1978 Cherokee Chief WT in a thousand pieces
Previous Jeep: 2001 Grand Cherokee

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

So, I have a friend/coworker that lives in Mexico. He is a dual citizen and is back and forth across the border all the time. His vehicles are all registered in Mexico, but he has to have two insurances on them. One for the US, and one for MX. It gets to be pretty costly.

So technically you could if you had a residence to register it at in MX, but the insurance you totally kill the deal IMO.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

Not to mention when your neighbor complains to the law.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Topic author
fxtechphx

Post by fxtechphx »

Thanks for the answers guys. I waa kind of thinking the registration would be a pain but didn't think about the insurance part.
Tomorrow we may face destiny, we may fight and die and fall to the fires of perdition, but tonight is ours, and we drink and make merry.