Does your FSJ get "respect" on the road?

Area for General NON-Jeep related chat. Topics are typically not moderated, but must fall within the Use Guidelines.

candymancan

Re: Does your FSJ get "respect" on the road?

Post by candymancan »

Yea it happens to me all the time.. At red lights ill get people occasionally waving at me.. A week ago i jad a guy in a wrangler from the early 2000s late 90s chat with me at a redlight saying my Wagoneer was awsome and perfect..

i get alot of thumbsup too.. I was at microcenter buying computer stuff.. and as i was texting in my Jeep i jad s younger couple walk in front to look them give me a thumbs up.

Yesturday when filling up with gas i had a guy pull over and talk to me about it. I also get alot of younger kids like 7-10 year old who love it.. probably because its different then what they are used to seeing.

I get alot of people talking to me about it saying there dad or whatever used to have one and these are people who youd never think care about a wagoneer by looking at them.

But i do get people on the road who like to try and pass me or turn out from behind and pull in front of me. Im not sure why. as i always go 5mph over the speed limit so i dont drive like grandma.. I think its because it looks old like a sluggish snail and so people automaticly want to pass me... As i have noticed people who drive antiques drive slow.

But i have a lead foot and my 360 gets alot of it.. Im usually an aggressive driver and ill speed around people in my wagoneer... I dont like slow pokes or stupid drivers so i try to get away from them.

Im onky 32 and i bought this when i was 29-30... But i noticed as well that the people who drive these lifted 35 inch mud tire mall crawler 2018 wranglers.. have no idea what it is... Only the older people or people with older Jeeps know what it is.

Same goes for my 5.9 ZJ its way more rare then a wagoneer and yet no one knows what it is. I dont get the same looks as i do in the wagoneer. Of course serious ZJ owners know what it is and wish they had one. There are tons of people who strip them to put 5.9 ZJ parts on theirs as thats as close as they will get to owning a real one
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

Theodore

Post by Theodore »

Yes! Didnt realize we were joining a cult, of sorts, and given its been being worked on more than its been on the road, its been surprising how many people have passed us & blown the horn, given thumbs up, or a couple days ago - wanted to take pics of it, and/or with it.

Wrote about the Christmas tree farm experience on Saturday here: http://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtop ... 15&t=15857

For a nearly 30 year old vehicle, with clear thats gone, the nostalgia these jeeps evoke is something else.

1990 Grand Wagoneer - "Theodore" - AMC 360, fuel-injected, TF727, NP229 - Sand Metallic - restoring to stock - Build Thread

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

I get this a lot. "Nice International man! My grampa had one just like it."
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

toothofwar

Post by toothofwar »

Tatsadasayago wrote:When I drive around town in my FSJ I get more road manners 'Respect' from other drivers than any rig I've owned or driven.
I think it's the combination of aggressive tires, size and exhaust sound that does most of it. I've always suspected that many drivers here see the jeep, the Montana plates and an old bald white guy driving and think "Oh NOES...MILITIA!" and try to stay away. Image

I did drive it around Sacramento before the resto-mod and it seemed many people figured I was a criminal but my jeep didn't get the 'respect' it does now.
That's one nice looking rig. Who did the hood louvering? That's one upgrade I am wanting on the 79.

I get waved into a parking lot at least every other time I drive mine. People love talking about it. It's been called a bronco, scout, even a blazer. Everyone seams shocked when i tell them it's a jeep.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

will e

Post by will e »

I get some horn honks and thumbs up. A lot of the folks in the local 'jeep' club also shows love to the Cherokee. They are often amazed on its trail abilities. The wrangler is a better platform but a lot of them admire the old iron. And the 80's era CJ folks are like cousins!
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Fast79Chief

Post by Fast79Chief »

"Does your FSJ get respect on the road?"
Yes ... or else the little tuna cans get run over by the 2.5 ton STEEL BEAST. Hahahahaha!!
1979 Cherokee Chief S, V8, MSD Pro Billet Distributor with New Factory Ignition Box (are these 2 even supposed to work together?), HEI Wires, Edelbrock 1406, Edelbrock Performer manifold, 3.54 gears, Tru-Trac Locker in the rear, Turbo 400, New Quadratrac, Dual gas tanks, new 32 x 11.50's, Big 9000 winch, Homemade 2.5" full length exhaust, Custom Headlight Harness, Custom front bumper working, Custom Rear Swing-out Bumper, Class V receiver hitch ... and a lot of work to do yet. :)

MischenFSJ

Post by MischenFSJ »

I have owned mine for a little over a week. I was maybe 2 miles from the place I bought it and the first car I came across on the road was all thumbs up and waving like crazy.

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

People keep a wide berth from the J10! TSL's, no sway bars, no exhaust, smokes like a tire fire on high rpm downshifts, and a mess of body damage. It's a hoot. Image
Gabe, "reformed" Jeep hoarder.

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Yesturday when at petco looking at fish for my aquarium hobby.. I got back in the waggy and someone left a note on my wipers saying cool Jeep
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)