Does your FSJ get "respect" on the road?

Area for General NON-Jeep related chat. Topics are typically not moderated, but must fall within the Use Guidelines.

Topic author
Lumpskie

Does your FSJ get "respect" on the road?

Post by Lumpskie »

Hey guys,

My wife and I have been noticing an interesting trend with our stock Grand Wagoneer. It seems like we run into a LOT of people that go out of their way to tell us that they like the Jeep. It's the friendliest conversation-piece vehicle I've ever owned and we joke that it "brings the world together".

On the other hand... When I'm driving it down the street, people seem to go out of their way to pull out in front of me, try to pass me, block me from passing and act like general idiots. My wife's theory is that they see it coming and assume that it's a slow grandma vehicle and don't want to be stuck behind it. I'm just puzzled that the general public and like it so much and, at the same time, drive with such an aggressive passion against it!

So, does this happen to any of you? Did other peoples perception of your vehicle change when you modified it? Does anyone have any theories as to people's motivation to drive like idiots near my jeep?
1989 Grand Wagoneer - Rebuilt 360, 2" Alcans, 10" travel Gabriel Guadian shocks.
1996 Land Cruiser - 1HD-T Diesel, Gturbo (23psi), Wholesale Automatics 442f, F/R ARBs, 35" Duratracs, ARB Rear Bumper, OME 2" lift, home built sliders and aluminum belly skid
2000 Honda Civic - Integra GSR engine, transmission, shift linkage and axles, 200hp, 33 combined mpg
2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 9 - 437hp/447ft-lb

rlars7

Re: Does your FSJ get "respect" on the road?

Post by rlars7 »

Lumpskie wrote:Hey guys,

My wife and I have been noticing an interesting trend with our stock Grand Wagoneer. It seems like we run into a LOT of people that go out of their way to tell us that they like the Jeep. It's the friendliest conversation-piece vehicle I've ever owned and we joke that it "brings the world together".

On the other hand... When I'm driving it down the street, people seem to go out of their way to pull out in front of me, try to pass me, block me from passing and act like general idiots. My wife's theory is that they see it coming and assume that it's a slow grandma vehicle and don't want to be stuck behind it. I'm just puzzled that the general public and like it so much and, at the same time, drive with such an aggressive passion against it!

So, does this happen to any of you? Did other peoples perception of your vehicle change when you modified it? Does anyone have any theories as to people's motivation to drive like idiots near my jeep?
I'm with you. I have had people flag me down to tell me how much they like my trucks. I do get people cutting in front of me but it's because I drive slow and don'ty accelerate fast with my rig. Too much steel, too little brakes :-bd
1990 Grand Wagoneer
360/727/229
Pre Runner Bumpers
Locked in the rear
250k+ miles and going strong

73 J4600/79 J10 - Sold

serehill
Vendor

Post by serehill »

Does mine get attention yes.

Do I think people drive differently around it? No. The drive like that around everything.
Last edited by serehill on Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
1980 Honcho 258 4 speed mostly stock with 4 " lift.

WIP

You know the rude dude from IFSJA

1980 Cherokee wrangled & mangled
MSD complete system
Eddy intake
Holley 650
Comp cam 270H
4" Rusty's
Ramsey 12K winch
Built to drive not sit in the garage.

No longer strangled. I didn't build it for anyone else.
If you can't improve it why waste your time?

bigun

Post by bigun »

LOL Have you seen pictures of Crom "respect" no Fear yes I think they expect me to go all Road Warrior on them when I pull up behind them.

Topic author
Lumpskie

Post by Lumpskie »

bigun wrote:LOL Have you seen pictures of Crom "respect" no Fear yes I think they expect me to go all Road Warrior on them when I pull up behind them.

Haha, I was wondering about that. People never cut me off in my yota, but I built the bumper on that rig and it looks kind of mean.

Meanwhile, the Wagoneer might just look TOO friendly as it rolls down the road:
1989 Grand Wagoneer - Rebuilt 360, 2" Alcans, 10" travel Gabriel Guadian shocks.
1996 Land Cruiser - 1HD-T Diesel, Gturbo (23psi), Wholesale Automatics 442f, F/R ARBs, 35" Duratracs, ARB Rear Bumper, OME 2" lift, home built sliders and aluminum belly skid
2000 Honda Civic - Integra GSR engine, transmission, shift linkage and axles, 200hp, 33 combined mpg
2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 9 - 437hp/447ft-lb

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

When I drive around town in my FSJ I get more road manners 'Respect' from other drivers than any rig I've owned or driven.
I think it's the combination of aggressive tires, size and exhaust sound that does most of it. I've always suspected that many drivers here see the jeep, the Montana plates and an old bald white guy driving and think "Oh NOES...MILITIA!" and try to stay away. :P

I did drive it around Sacramento before the resto-mod and it seemed many people figured I was a criminal but my jeep didn't get the 'respect' it does now.
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

haminawag

Post by haminawag »

The hillbillies out here all seem to know what it is, I've gotten a few, "Hey boss, neat four-by." in that odd Illinois drawl they all have out here. The "regulars" that notice it just seem to want to get away from it. It'll be interesting to see how people behave toward it when I get back home to NM.
Let us not forget what our fathers taught us.

Ham-in-a-Wag
1967 Plymouth Fury
1979 Wagoneer
2000 RAV4

90supra

Post by 90supra »

The GW gets a lot of "Great truck, I used to own... or "My friend had one of those..." It seems like more people just appreciate the Gladiator but don't really come up with stories about having one.
The Fleet:
1967 J3000 (258/T18/D20, MC 2100)
1972 240Z (heading under the knife :evil:)
1978 Corvette (wife's HS project)
1987 Grand Wagoneer (Howell TBI 360 HEI, Thorley headers, Edelbrock intake, 727 NP208, Rustys 4")
2013 Subaru WRX

68glad

Post by 68glad »

When i'm driving most try to steer clear. I assume they think I don't have insurance. :)
68 Gladiator- RIP
78 Wagoneer- 401, D60/70, 203/205, 38's, Dual PS pump, Hydroboost, OBA, OBW, bla bla bla.

If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything.

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

68glad wrote:When i'm driving most try to steer clear. I assume they think I don't have insurance. :)
HAHA!
That or like my previous Cherokees, they were afraid something might fall off and hit their car! :D
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

KJ Ryu

Post by KJ Ryu »

Both of my J10s get a lot of looks, thumbs-up, and "nice truck!"s but the tonned-crawler definitely gets the right-of-way when I drive it on the road. I'm sure most people assume I don't have insurance, as well.
Ron

2005 KJ, Hit-n-Run, 2am 6-17-2012, Totaled. :mad:
1977 SJ J10, 4v360, T18, D20, 37x14s, SOA & SF on tons, still ugly.
1978 SJ Wagoneer, 4v360, QT, 33x12.5s, lift by Sawzall :-bd NOT Running :(
1977 SJ J10, SniperEFI 401, QT, D44s, 31X10.5s :fsj:
2006 KJ
Mars wrote:One man's trans leak is another's penetrating oil :D

Mdcptman

Post by Mdcptman »

Yeah, even as rough as mine is, I get people who wave smile and want to talk about it. But on the road people tend to get out of the way. I think that they figure if im willing to drive this, then there are no limits to my aberrant behavior.

Last edited by Mdcptman on Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
88 Grand Wagoneer
360/727/208
Edelbrock 2131, non-EGR
Holley 600
Hydroboost
Hedman headers
Dual exhaust
MSD 6A
TFI conversion
Rusty's 2" Add-a-Leaf kit
31 x 10.5 LT15 Goodyear Wrangler Authority Tires
S-10 Steering Box Mod

Quote From Friend's Mom:
"You don't rely on that vehicle do you?"

jaber
Vendor

Post by jaber »

I had a lady last weekend tell me my truck has the "dont give a sht, Mad Max look".... :-bd :-bd

Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 Cummins service truck
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/

carnuck

Post by carnuck »

haminawag wrote:The hillbillies out here all seem to know what it is, I've gotten a few, "Hey boss, neat four-by." in that odd Illinois drawl they all have out here. The "regulars" that notice it just seem to want to get away from it. It'll be interesting to see how people behave toward it when I get back home to NM.
They probably expect it to explode into a ball of rust out there. I've had some fearful drivers swerve when they saw mine (or at least the tires) pull up alongside. I even had a few boys in blue ask about my gun rack. I just tell them it's for fishing gear and they grin.
Check my parts for sale near Seattle

Mrpatatomoto

Post by Mrpatatomoto »

There is definitely a difference between people around me driving my Cherokee vs driving my dads Wrangler, I get cut off in that thing all day long. But then I think I actually have people staying out of my way more in my bug, that may be because I'm usually flying past them though. Bug Vs Cherokee, the Cherokee gets more appreciation in way of comments.
1982 Cherokee Chief, 258, T5 , NP208, 3.31, 33" BFG KO2's
32/36 weber, MSD 6a, Core/Hurst Shifter

MadMax78

Post by MadMax78 »

I get more thumbs up, high fives and awesome Jeep more than anything. Kids in the soft top jeeps are always taking pictures and grinning. I wonder how this will change once my bumper is finished and they see it in their rear view mirror. :D My coworkers like it to. Even the lady with the FJ likes it. There is just something about a classic 4x4 that people like. Even if its no longer stock.
MadMax78

78 Cherokee S, Wide Track, 360, TH400, Quadra Trac, TAD's SOA, 35" BFG KM2, Edelbrock Carb & Intake, MSD Coil & Ignition

Gumby

Post by Gumby »

I get some crazy looks when I drive my waggy around. But since I finished the lift and have my "Halos" in people take a second look, as if they cant believe an old vehicle like mine has a modern feature. My wife thinks I get a big head when other people give the waggy the props it deserves.
1984 GW 360/727/208.... 4"/ 31"
2004 CRD QC SRW 3500 4X4 (DD)
1983 "project Dubya" (long term)

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

I've noticed two things when driving a FSJ. First, older persons love it and point it out to their kids/friends or hold a Thumbs-Up while driving by. Second, the younger Jeep guys dont know what it is. I don't get the Jeep wave and its not until they see the Jeep emblem that they Gawk, point and say " Dude-that's a Jeep. Coool!". ;)

Grand_Wag_85

Post by Grand_Wag_85 »

I can't go anywhere with my J10 without tons of staring and loads of stories about these Jeeps back in their heyday. Usually about once a day(if not 100x more) somebody pulls up along side and gives me the thumbs up.

Found this pic of me & my Jeep on the local Jeep club forum a few weeks back

82 J10
77 J10 Golden Eagle 401
88 GW

You know it's bad when your car is on the EPA's 10 most wanted list!

B-three

Post by B-three »

Tatsadasayago wrote:When I drive around town in my FSJ I get more road manners 'Respect' from other drivers than any rig I've owned or driven.
I think it's the combination of aggressive tires, size and exhaust sound that does most of it. I've always suspected that many drivers here see the jeep, the Montana plates and an old bald white guy driving and think "Oh NOES...MILITIA!" and try to stay away. :P

I did drive it around Sacramento before the resto-mod and it seemed many people figured I was a criminal but my jeep didn't get the 'respect' it does now.

What size tires did you have before and after your restore?