Jeep-less newbie introducing myself

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
mgbreis

Jeep-less newbie introducing myself

Post by mgbreis »

Hi everyone,

Finally joined the site and thought I'd say hi. Early 40's car nut living in southeast Nebraska, lawyer by trade, who has a major lusting for a FSJ at the moment. Actually, as my wife can attest, I've been longing for a Wagoneer as long as she's known me. I try to be somewhat rational, and I guess the time was just never right (even though I managed to collect all kinds of other irrational junk over the years). I've mainly been into British cars, so I'm no stranger to major rust repair. In fact, I might be off my rocker because I look at rusty jeeps and think they look fairly easy to repair compared to some of the stuff I've welded together! Currently I've got a '59 Hillman Husky and "68 MGB. I guess you can never say "never", but it's not likely I'll ever willingly part with either one. Once you've welded, painted, fabbed, sewed, and bled all over something, it kind of becomes part of you. Here's some info on the Husky: http://www.britishv8.org/Other/RyanReis.htm

I've decided that it's time for the first 4x4 of my life, and it's gotta be a Wagoneer project, maybe a 2 door Cherokee if it was the right one. If anyone has line on something in my area I'd be grateful for a heads up! I thought I had a 78 bought recently, but there's an issue with the title and I don't think its going to work out. Such a feeling of dejection. I really prefer the pre-80's non Grand Wagoneers, I guess I just like the more vintage looking stuff. On the other hand, I know you can backdate the look and beggars can't be choosers!

Anyway, sorry for rambling. Ryan

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: Jeep-less newbie introducing myself

Post by Stuka »

Welcome tot he forum. Thats a really cool Husky, not something you see in the wild very often.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

Thanks for sharing your story and welcome to the network.
Not wanting a woody GW and being open to the 2 door Cherokees goes against the usual trend, which I find refreshing.
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

Red-dog

Post by Red-dog »

My first car was a 78 MGB. Welcome and good luck with your search.
'86 GW, work in progress.
'01 wj, DD

Renodemona

Post by Renodemona »

Welcome! Nice British iron!
Easier to find non-rusty FSJs out here than there I suspect, but they are out there if you're patient. The national judicial college is here in Reno, so if you found a FSJ and wanted to take a class...just sayin ;)
"Wait, what's on fire!?" KJ7TCT
--------------------------------------------------------------
1976 Cherokee w/t 'Susan' 401/TH400/QT(PT)
FiTech Go EFI, Edelbrock Performer intake
3" Rough Country Springs, HEI Dizzy
-------------------------------------------------------------
2018 Cherokee Trailhawk V6 'Sedna'

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

I've got a 67 MGB GT that holds a tarp down and kills some grass. Welcome to the board.
Gabe, "reformed" Jeep hoarder.

will e

Post by will e »

Welcome from Phoenix! I hope you find one!
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Topic author
mgbreis

Post by mgbreis »

'67 gt, best of the breed! I'm glad it's serving a purpose for you! :D My in-laws have a house in Phoenix and winter there, it has occurred to me that it might be a good idea to have my father-in-law be my gopher and track one down out there during the winter months. He's a car guy and a great mechanic, so it might be doable. As long as it doesn't cost him anything!

What do you guys think of this one? http://desmoines.craigslist.org/cto/5796510308.html

Am I off base for thinking this should be more like $1,000? I'm kind of in love with this '73 in Wyoming, but again.... NO TITLE. http://wyoming.craigslist.org/cto/5788873614.html It looks really solid.

Thanks for the welcome!

KJ Ryu

Post by KJ Ryu »

It's not too hard to get a title for older vehicles, here in Wyoming.
Ron

2005 KJ, Hit-n-Run, 2am 6-17-2012, Totaled. :mad:
1977 SJ J10, 4v360, T18, D20, 37x14s, SOA & SF on tons, still ugly.
1978 SJ Wagoneer, 4v360, QT, 33x12.5s, lift by Sawzall :-bd NOT Running :(
1977 SJ J10, SniperEFI 401, QT, D44s, 31X10.5s :fsj:
2006 KJ
Mars wrote:One man's trans leak is another's penetrating oil :D

bigun

Post by bigun »

mgbreis wrote:Hi everyone,

Currently I've got a '59 Hillman Husky and "68 MGB. I guess you can never say "never", but it's not likely I'll ever willingly part with either one. Once you've welded, painted, fabbed, sewed, and bled all over something, it kind of becomes part of you. Here's some info on the Husky: http://www.britishv8.org/Other/RyanReis.htm
I
This just showed up on local CL in case you need a parts donor
http://albuquerque.craigslist.org/zip/5800058230.html

Topic author
mgbreis

Post by mgbreis »

Thanks for the heads up - but what whatever it was it's gone! Was it a Husky?

bigun

Post by bigun »

mgbreis wrote:Thanks for the heads up - but what whatever it was it's gone! Was it a Husky?
Yup 1958 complete body less glass and no title for free! It was gone before I finished posting. l'Il keep an eye out usually something like that shows up for sale after somebody gets it for free.
Back in the 70s they were putting in a golf course in Alb. there was a couple working on the landscape crew who were living in one. I was working guard they used the pond to bath in I guess they had never heard of binoculars!

Topic author
mgbreis

Post by mgbreis »

Now that's a funny story! I can't imagine living in a Hillman, tight quarters.

I've spent most of the last year considering whether to try selling the Husky. I know I'd regret it, but I'm more of a "project" guy than someone that wants a bunch of finished cars sitting around. One of the main attractions to a FSJ is how useable one would be. My sports cars collect a lot of dust, but I think I'd use a Waggy all the time.

Still no luck finding one, I'm not very patient!

bigun

Post by bigun »

Have you tried outside of your state
Here is a 64 rust looks repairable
http://albuquerque.craigslist.org/cto/5788865550.html

Hmm they don't give a year, and the pictures are dark
http://albuquerque.craigslist.org/pts/5756990325.html

http://albuquerque.craigslist.org/cto/5757071241.html

1980 needs drive train
http://clovis.craigslist.org/cto/5801061083.html

bigun

Post by bigun »

mgbreis wrote:Now that's a funny story! I can't imagine living in a Hillman, tight quarters.
You ought to hear my stories of squeezing my 6'3" 230 pound body into my buddies MG midget back in the day! The real fun was getting out!!

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

Nebraska isn't far from Colorado, so I'll keep my eyes peeled. I've got a buddy who might have a few for sale as well and shipping to Nebraska would be cheap.

If you'd like shoot me a PM with your bugdet and must have items and I can start hunting. I love helping people find the right project, especially when its a full size jeep!
Gabe, "reformed" Jeep hoarder.

Topic author
mgbreis

Post by mgbreis »

Hey Bigun, that's nice of you to post those links! I've been watching Craigs quite a bit and I have seen a couple of those previously, I'm just trying to be patient with the knowledge that it's going to be a lot more realistic for me to get something a little closer to home. That '64 is sweet though!

Nikkormat, I really appreciate you offering to keep your eyes peeled. I'll send you a PM.

bigun

Post by bigun »

I have plenty of space to keep till you can arrange shipping.

Topic author
mgbreis

Post by mgbreis »

That is a really kind offer. I will keep that in mind as the search continues!

Now for a good laugh - this Cherokee just popped up fairly local today. It's not quite what I'm looking for but you have to admire his salesmanship! Are you "badass" enough for this truck? http://omaha.craigslist.org/cto/5800638651.html

Red-dog

Post by Red-dog »

He is right. That is a badass Cherk.
'86 GW, work in progress.
'01 wj, DD