Hesitation and stalling

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
Charles Kline

Re: Hesitation and stalling

Post by Charles Kline »

Thanks, hopefully I be able to see it and shoot the strobe at it at the same time.

On your questions;
idle vacuum is ~15
the dist is still hooked up to the High temp CTO/Spark CTO/Liner Valve hose mess. I'm probably going to simplify it back to just the Spark CTO like my '79 is.

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

15" seems a bit low. Are you above 5000 feet altitude CK?
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

Tatsadasayago wrote:15" seems a bit low. Are you above 5000 feet altitude CK?
I can answer that one! Yes, he is. 15" is inline with my readings.
Gabe, "reformed" Jeep hoarder.

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Charles Kline wrote:Egr is bad and not opening at all. New one is in route. (Found because of high NOx on emission test posted above)

Thanks for your thoughts Tats! The level in the bowl looked really low to me when I opened it.
I picked up a timing light and just need to figure out how to lineup a view to see the mark!

-Charles

Okay and with the EGR being bad... have you disconnected the vacuum line to it like i said? when they go bad they cause hesitation bogging and stalling
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

Topic author
Charles Kline

Post by Charles Kline »

Yep mile high city

candy, the EGR wasn't open so it wasn't affecting idle at all, I disconnected it to eliminate the vac leak it caused.

New one arrives tomorrow so it'll be good to have that eliminated.

Topic author
Charles Kline

Post by Charles Kline »

Still waiting on the EGR, first time I've ever experienced UPS loosing a package. :\

Looking at the bowl photos, are these the jets? and are those numbers the size? if so is that the typical size?

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

Yep! These be the main jets and 51 is about right for 5200 feet.
Last edited by Tatsadasayago on Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

Topic author
Charles Kline

Post by Charles Kline »

I wish I would have taken a note when I had it open, but it looks like 51F.. maybe a bit small? Rig lived all its life at ~10,000'

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Yeah looks like 51F to me to. Which is pretty dang small. Probably correct for 10k ft, but I am betting you are lean at 5k.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

letank

Post by letank »

Stuka wrote:Yeah looks like 51F to me to. Which is pretty dang small. Probably correct for 10k ft, but I am betting you are lean at 5k.
is 56 the standard for sea level ? so 51 is not too far off for higher altitude... but if it is 61 then sure you will have some severe bogging.

May be one is 51 and the other 61???

Best guess is to try 53 or 54 and see what is happening.

For refs 55 was for the 2100 motorcraft with 1.08 venturi carb that I had on the 74

edit, my 74 w the 2100 after Ethanol gelling

Last edited by letank on Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

Topic author
Charles Kline

Post by Charles Kline »

Thanks for the advice guys.

I finally got the new EGR so I've got to get that one, then I'll probably do the carb rebuild I've had sitting on the shelf. See how it does all cleaned up.
I'd kinda like to do fixes one at a time to see what solves it, but maybe I'll get some 53 and put them in while doing the rebuild...

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

It kind of looks like the right jet is a 61. Comparing the left side of the numbers. I typo'd when I posted my comment, then corrected. Afterward, I opened the image in Photoshop and it sure looks like a 6 on the right.
I'm not sure if the 1 jet size per 1000' holds true for the Motorcraft 2Bbls like it does for Holleys, Webers and Carter/Edelbrocks etc.

Note the curve on the left jet in this inverted photo. The right one appears to be a 5 with a straight back whereas the other has 6 looking backside.

Topic author
Charles Kline

Post by Charles Kline »

I'll have to open it up again and take a closer look at whats really there.

What is the factory size? Did they put different jets based on where it was going? or would the dealer change them?

Topic author
Charles Kline

Post by Charles Kline »

Finally got some time to check out the fuel pickup.

First thing to note is how cracked and gummy the fuel lines are.

I don't think they're getting sucked closed (as I read on a ifsja thread) but I didn't check which the engine running/ stomping throttle. It doesn't fit that problem as I would think that issue would be at higher fuel usage than idle.

I wanted to replace these lines but I realized they connect to the metal lines under the shield and there is a clip above the tank so I'll have to plan a tank drop in the near future. for now I put a fresh cut on the ends.

The pickup sock looked fine, not plugged or degraded or anything.

While I was messing with fuel lines I replaced all the rubber lines in the engine compartment as well as replaced the fuel pump. I did find something interesting on the fuel return line. The clip on the fuel pump bolt was tweaked so bad up against the side of the pump I doubt that hardly any fuel made it through.

I keep finding enough oddities to make me think the engine had been rebuilt at some point. this adds to that.

New fuel lines before and after the fuel filter. The filter is fairly new so I decided to leave it for a bit so it can catch any crud I may have knocked loose. I'll put the new on in after getting the new tank lines.

One thing I did note and didn't know to look for was that the fuel filter's return line was at the 6 o'clock position. I have since turned it so its at the 12 o'clock.

No change in hesitation.

I did find why the fuel gauge gets goofy around 1/4 tank.

New sender is on it way...

letank

Post by letank »

Charles Kline wrote: I wanted to replace these lines but I realized they connect to the metal lines under the shield and there is a clip above the tank so I'll have to plan a tank drop in the near future. for now I put a fresh cut on the ends.
I did it without dropping the tank, I managed to fetch the hidden side by crawling underneath and moving the metal lines around
Michel

Topic author
Charles Kline

Post by Charles Kline »

I finally installed the new EGR. WTF is up with those orifice washers? I was annoyed to see that. The washer based on the part number of the original wasn't anywhere near the size of the one I took off. #64. It was the same size as the opening in the casting so I'm not sure what the hell good its doing.

Something is funky, when the EGR is plugged in I get some super wires surging hesitation. I don't know if its having its own issue or if its compounding the existing hesitation issue but I couldn't drive with it plugged in.

The other thing I hate about these EGRs is how impossible they are to test. It'll supposedly only hold vacuum when exhaust gas back pressure is holding the internal valve closed, but after I bolted it on, stated up the engine and put the vac pump on it it still didn't hold anything. I temp plugged it into manifold vac while it was ideling and nothing. put if I push up on the diaphragm then engine stumbles.

It would be my luck I get the one bad EGR from the factory... :-?

Anyone else have this kind of issue with a new EGR?

-Charles

letank

Post by letank »

Charles Kline wrote:I finally installed the new EGR. WTF is up with those orifice washers? I was annoyed to see that. The washer based on the part number of the original wasn't anywhere near the size of the one I took off. #64. It was the same size as the opening in the casting so I'm not sure what the hell good its doing.

Something is funky, when the EGR is plugged in I get some super wires surging hesitation. I don't know if its having its own issue or if its compounding the existing hesitation issue but I couldn't drive with it plugged in.

The other thing I hate about these EGRs is how impossible they are to test. It'll supposedly only hold vacuum when exhaust gas back pressure is holding the internal valve closed, but after I bolted it on, stated up the engine and put the vac pump on it it still didn't hold anything. I temp plugged it into manifold vac while it was ideling and nothing. put if I push up on the diaphragm then engine stumbles.

It would be my luck I get the one bad EGR from the factory... :-?

Anyone else have this kind of issue with a new EGR?

-Charles

They are a pain, when I serviced mine on the 74 the washer was gone... so lucky me this has been smog exempt, but I installed one from a 1986 honda civic, that does not have the back pressure sensor, same footprint, looks OEM.
Michel

Topic author
Charles Kline

Post by Charles Kline »

Is there any good reference on what port on the 5 port CTV goes to what? I'm skeptical that its hosed up correctly...

letank

Post by letank »

Charles Kline wrote:Is there any good reference on what port on the 5 port CTV goes to what? I'm skeptical that its hosed up correctly...
the sticker on your valence,

schematic for the 89

or my 85, which does not have the dump valve in the EGR circuit

Michel

Topic author
Charles Kline

Post by Charles Kline »

That diaphragm doesn't show What ports go to what.