Electric Temp/Oil Gauge Recommendation

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
mpatch

Electric Temp/Oil Gauge Recommendation

Post by mpatch »

Posted the question in my engine rebuild time thread, but thought I would put it up here too. Sorry for the overkill.

I have decided to go after market electric temp and oil pressure gauge. Mechanic recommended auto meter. Anybody familiar with that brand, have any recommendations on brand, color and size. I will probable place it center below the dash below the vents. I have an red interior, just looking for some ideas and would like for it to look nice.

serehill
Vendor

Re: Electric Temp/Oil Gauge Recommendation

Post by serehill »

Good brand name usually white back ground & black Background I prefer white.
1980 Honcho 258 4 speed mostly stock with 4 " lift.

WIP

You know the rude dude from IFSJA

1980 Cherokee wrangled & mangled
MSD complete system
Eddy intake
Holley 650
Comp cam 270H
4" Rusty's
Ramsey 12K winch
Built to drive not sit in the garage.

No longer strangled. I didn't build it for anyone else.
If you can't improve it why waste your time?

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

There are a handful of good brands. Stewart-Warner, AutoMeter, VDO are all good.

Go to http://www.summitracing.com/search/depa ... =Ascending and look at what you like. Since you want electric, pick digital or analog. Choose the dial design and colors you prefer, if analog. There are thousands of different combinations possible.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
mpatch

Post by mpatch »

I didn't even think about digital, is anybody running those? If so do you like the looks of them?

haminawag

Post by haminawag »

I personally hate the digital gauges, hard for me to read, others love 'em, lots of different gauges to choose from in both analog and digital. The last Stewart-Warner gauges I bought, I returned, the quality was really poor, which disappointed me because S-W has been around a LONG time and always made top quality gauges. I've never gotten a bad AutoMeter gauge, but they tend to be pricey. VDO is another company that has been around a long time, they used to be associated with European cars, they've always had a good reputation. Order a Summit Racing catalog, or a Jegs catalog, they both show several types of gauges and their prices.
Let us not forget what our fathers taught us.

Ham-in-a-Wag
1967 Plymouth Fury
1979 Wagoneer
2000 RAV4

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

Analog for me. These are Autometer in individual surface mount pods. Sorry it is not better light.
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

Topic author
mpatch

Post by mpatch »

Anybody have an opinion on these. I don't want to go much more than hundred but I don't want to go cheap where I need to worry, that is why I am installing gauges because I worry about my stock. Having trouble finding what is a good electrical oil and temp, possible voltage plus a mounting bracket for a good price and brand.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-g2888/overview/
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-g2889/overview/
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-g2980/overview/

FSJ Guy

Post by FSJ Guy »

The digital gauges look nice. But I've seen an electric analog oil gauge for around $50 at the local parts stores. I haven't priced them recently, however.
Ethan Brady

http://www.bigscaryjeep.com

Jeepless, but I still have a lots of old parts in my garage!

Topic author
mpatch

Post by mpatch »

digital didnt get good reviews as a single unit, 50 for one unit puts me at about 100 for oil and temp. then mounting. Thats why I may go for complete set unit.

haminawag

Post by haminawag »

The first set of analog gauges by Summit you show ought to be just fine for monitoring a stock or mildly modified engine. You definately want the electric oil pressure gauge, the mechanical is just an excuse to have oil drips on your FSJs carpeting. You can probably get a fine set of gauges at your local parts store, like Sun Gauges. Really all your shooting for is something that's going to deflect quickly if you're overheating, or if the oil pressure drops suddenly. They'll be as good as stock, probably better, and definitely easier to read if you can mount them up at eye level. On your oil gauge, buy a brass tee that will fit the port where the oil sender screws in, get an idiot light sender and thread it into one side of the tee, the oil gauge sender to the other side, run a wire from the idiot light sender to a bright red light where you can see it, now you'll have the gauge plus a warning light. You can do the same thing for the water temp light, but use yellow for that light, you can even hook up a buzzer if you want to that will sound off when the light goes on. etc. etc.

Ham-in-a-Wag
1967 Plymouth Fury
1979 Wagoneer
2000 RAV4

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

better view...
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

dbabicky

Post by dbabicky »

fulsizjeep wrote:better view...
Exactly what I use in all my vehicles. Auto-Meter "Ultra Lites"

Topic author
mpatch

Post by mpatch »

That is sharp looking, I found a used summit digital gauge package. I am not sure how it will look but I am going to install them below the dash. I want to be able to look down quick and get a reading with out having to take much time. I really liked the auto meters and it is what was recommended to me but the cost of two of them and mounting was just two much right not. Hopefully I wont be regretting it.

If I mount them center under dash, will the heat vent in the back effect them?

FSJ Guy

Post by FSJ Guy »

Mine never seems to be bothered by the heat. Experiment with the mounting position. I angled mine towards the driver for ease of viewing.
Ethan Brady

http://www.bigscaryjeep.com

Jeepless, but I still have a lots of old parts in my garage!

GhostMedic

Post by GhostMedic »

I'm gonna be running these in Old red. Gonna pick up a Tach as well.

http://www.harborfreight.com/electronic ... 41017.html

http://www.harborfreight.com/2-inch-led ... 98480.html (maybe this one but I'd be happier with black)
Keep The Shinny Side Up And The Greasy Side Down.

1965 Kaiser Jeep Gladiator project "Old Red" http://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtop ... 564#p62348
kyamcalvert wrote: I hate to sound pessimistic, but these vehicles are not coveted, save for our relatively small and insane group...

haminawag

Post by haminawag »

mpatch wrote:If I mount them center under dash, will the heat vent in the back effect them?
If you've ever driven a car with the gauges mounted under the dash it's pretty difficult to get your eyes to refocus quickly from the road to the gauges and back again, especially if you've got a few years under your belt. That's why I recommended retaining the warning lights along with the gauges. Small warning lights, even LEDs, can be mounted almost anywhere.
But no, the heater air won't affect any decent quality gauges.

Ham-in-a-Wag
1967 Plymouth Fury
1979 Wagoneer
2000 RAV4

Topic author
mpatch

Post by mpatch »

I did think of that, I don't want to have to take my eyes off the road and look down for sure. That is one reason as much as the analog gauges would look better the digital will be able to give me a quick reading with out having to look to hard. I am also more concerned with the ideal pressure, so I would really be looking most of the time when stopping at a light, in traffic or when turning the car on and right before off.

But before I mount them, I will definitely look around for different options.

haminawag

Post by haminawag »

Smart. :)

Ham-in-a-Wag
1967 Plymouth Fury
1979 Wagoneer
2000 RAV4

Topic author
mpatch

Post by mpatch »

Can I keep my stock pressure gage running along with an aftermarket electric gauge? Could I do some short of t-connection? Or would I not have strong readings from both?

And does using a nipple extension say 3 inches to get the sending unit more room have an effect on the readings?

Thanks,

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

mpatch wrote:Can I keep my stock pressure gage running along with an aftermarket electric gauge? Could I do some short of t-connection? Or would I not have strong readings from both?

And does using a nipple extension say 3 inches to get the sending unit more room have an effect on the readings?

Thanks,
The main issue will be whether you can physically get the sender into appropriate fittings to go into the single pressure port. The pressure will extend out to whatever collection of fittings you can put together, so no worries there. But to fit two senders may need an unwieldy series of extensions and adapters.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.