New QuadraTrac cones and other parts coming

Area for General FSJ related chat.

mathman

Re: New QuadraTrac cones and other parts coming

Post by mathman »

MadMax78 wrote:Question. If we do get all of the parts needed to rebuild our QTs, what will we do about the special fluid needed for them?? Is it readily available somewhere at a decent price and I'm just overlooking it?
http://www.bjsoffroad.com/prod-76.htm
David
'78 J-10, J-20
'79 Cherokee
'50 Willys (not Willy's) 4WD Pickup
http://www.jeep-trucks.com

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

TCL1 gets the job done. :-bd I will be draining the QT and checking chain slack this weekend. Looks like BJs is moving towards announcing the new product.
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

MadMax78

Post by MadMax78 »

Yes. Cant wait. Been a long time coming.
MadMax78

78 Cherokee S, Wide Track, 360, TH400, Quadra Trac, TAD's SOA, 35" BFG KM2, Edelbrock Carb & Intake, MSD Coil & Ignition

TitaniaDieKrieger

Post by TitaniaDieKrieger »

I have 2 going to open up one and see if all it needs is a new chain. The other has a good chain but seems to have a stick slip problem. Saying that If replacements parts were made I would probably rebuild both. That saying I wouldn't expect anybody to have these cones stocked up. I would get preorders before milling them out. maybe have a few sets on hand for rush orders
I have no idea what I'm doing.

Post by 243 »

When will the Ramsey chain be on the market?

fulsizjeep wrote:I just installed one of the test chains Sunday. The old chain had 1 1/8" slack, the new Ramsay chain had 1/8" slack. It looks exactly like the new Morse chains we have here except the link stamping is different. The new chain fit fine. It is in a QT that was an NOS install in 2007 and had about 60K on it. We will beat on it at Ouray next week and I may have more to report after that.

Ramsay chain on top, Morse on bottom.

Link Stamp

Installed

Because I AM
1978 Cherokee NT, 5.3/4L60/NP241 in Progress

letank

Post by letank »

Found the posting on IFSJA about the cones, and sent email to Novak,

Hi,
Sorry to be a pest, but rumors on IFSJA.org as of Februray 16th 2015 are that you are in the process of finalizing the cones for the QT?
Should we pre order or wait,
A serious potentiel customer,
Cheers for your hard work,
Michel

And Erik's reply on April 9th:

Hi Michel,

You're not being a pest at all. I'm glad I can give you an update:

700R4 to QuadraTrac adapter is in production. The shafts are done, and the adapter plate is being machined. The design work came out fantastic (after some difficulties) and it will be a simple and affordable kit
Friction drive cones: these are also in production and we have an innovative process that allows the friction surfaces to wear reasonably without sacrificing the hardness of the splines, which was a problem with these from Borg-Warner. We temporarily lost a machine that was slated to do these cones, and are having to finish them in a series of smaller machines with complex set-ups
Output shafts: We are doing a faithful reproduction of these shafts, though out of a better alloy than factory. They are also in work.

I owe a handful of FST / QT guys an apology. We really took these on enthusiastically late last year, and we have had a real setback with one of our very large and significant 6-axis mill/turn machines going down for repairs and maintenance, and among one of the busiest seasons we've ever experienced. We've had to keep our commitments to our customers for the products that we openly carry. In summary, our machinsts and the whole company has been working at fever pitch and that hasn't left us a lot of time to smell the roses of cool, new projects, which this is.

I hope that helps. Please follow up at any point.

Eric at Novak
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

Topic author
TrenchFoot

Post by TrenchFoot »

From working with him on this I can shed some light on the 700r4 kit. It's based on the 2WD version with the longer tailshaft. Also, he wanted to ensure this kit would work well with a non-low range QT. I sent him all the parts needed to verify their design would be universal. Hoping we see the finished products soon.
'78 Waggy: 401/QT pulling the rust down the road. 6.2L +turbo waiting in the wings.

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

Can't wait!!!! I just f'ed mine up good. :banghead:
Gabe, "reformed" Jeep hoarder.

Lumpskie

Post by Lumpskie »

Just a couple of questions.

fulsizejeep: Is this the chain that you were testing?
http://www.bjsoffroad.com/prod-21.htm

Also, will the cones be sold on BJ's offroad, when they come out?
1989 Grand Wagoneer - Rebuilt 360, 2" Alcans, 10" travel Gabriel Guadian shocks.
1996 Land Cruiser - 1HD-T Diesel, Gturbo (23psi), Wholesale Automatics 442f, F/R ARBs, 35" Duratracs, ARB Rear Bumper, OME 2" lift, home built sliders and aluminum belly skid
2000 Honda Civic - Integra GSR engine, transmission, shift linkage and axles, 200hp, 33 combined mpg
2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 9 - 437hp/447ft-lb

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

Yes. :-bd

I have nothing to do with the cones nor have further details.
Flint Boardman

78 Arizona Chief

Post by 78 Arizona Chief »

I swear, it feels like I have gone to heaven with all this 'new quadratrac parts' talk. Just sitting here gitty thinking that my 5 and 7 year old boys will not only get to drive my old jeep the way she was intended, but possibly have the parts to keep her going when I pass it down to them. Just awesome!
Kevin
1978 Cherokee Chief: Parents bought new. 360/TH400/NOS Quadratrac, 44's/ARB's/4.10's, SOA, Shackle Flip, Alcan Springs, FOX 2.0's, 35" BFG KM2s, custom bumpers, 324,000 miles and counting...

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

I hear ya Chief!
I've been threatening to drop the QT and go with a D20 or some other transfer case after the crappy Import Chain Debacle.
Having new cones available would sure be nice since the QT does not work as well with the part-time kit off road...that is CERTAIN!
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

StuS77J20

Post by StuS77J20 »

I would definitely be interested in any new parts for Quadratrac. Was considering going with either a MM part time kit to do away with the cones or switching to a D18 tranny case. Currently running (down for mechanical and restoration) a 1977 J20, 401, QT/TH400, 3:73 D60 FF Rear/D44HD Front, 98,000 miles, no cancerous or demon rust. Also interested in new chain from BJ's or Ramsey? Have to check for availability and price. Am about to yank TC and tranny. TH400 definitely needs rebuild and need to inspect and rebuild TC.

letank

Post by letank »

any news?
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

Topic author
TrenchFoot

Post by TrenchFoot »

Yes! I just got the first revision of the install instructions for the 700r4-QT adapter to review yesterday and should get the first kit in a couple days. I'm going to run through them step-by-step and provide feedback to Novak.

Eric said the cones are done with the exception of the inner splines which need to be cut.

Getting closer. I'll post pics of the adapter when Novak gives me a green light. But from the pics in the instructions I can tell you it won't look like much, two familiar hunks of aluminum get bolted together...
'78 Waggy: 401/QT pulling the rust down the road. 6.2L +turbo waiting in the wings.

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

Do you have to cut the output of the 700r4
Gabe, "reformed" Jeep hoarder.

Topic author
TrenchFoot

Post by TrenchFoot »

Nikkormat wrote:Do you have to cut the output of the 700r4
Yeah, you'll start with a 2WD output shaft and cut ~1/2" off of it.

MarshallTheFox

Post by MarshallTheFox »

Any further news on these parts?
1997 Dodge Dakota - Current daily driver
1979 Jeep J10 - Under restoration
1979 GMC Sierra Classic - Awaiting restoration

Dr. Marneaus

Post by Dr. Marneaus »

drive cones, sun gears, what the hell are these things built out of? How many unicorn horns are in there? How many mermaid tears does it take to meet fluid capacity?
Well it ain't just the smoke and the traffic jam that makes me the bitter fool I am But this four-wheel buggy is A-dollaring me to death.
For gas and oils and fluids and grease, And wires and tires and anti freeze....And them accessories, Well honey, that's something else.

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

Tim at Novak contacted me through my web site last week. They now have brake cones ready for production. I asked for pricing and picture(s). They are still working out those kind of details. Tim was looking for the AMC part number for them. I was not 100% aware of this until some research was done, but the individual internals for the differential were not offered over the counter. There was one p/n for the whole assembly. I am told the brake cones will be available from BJs Offroad.
Flint Boardman