2150 air cleaner

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
pyro

2150 air cleaner

Post by pyro »

I bought my 2150 carb 2nd hand and it came with a generic looking 8" air cleaner/filter combo, but no mount screw. Just curious to see what others have for an air cleaner setup.
'81 J10 Laredo 258/T176
'82 Cherokee 258/TF904
'84 CJ-8 258/T176

Florida FSJ's Click Here!!!

haminawag

Re: 2150 air cleaner

Post by haminawag »

Well, I'd like to have either the stock air cleaner for my '79 so I could hook up the warm air snorkle for cold WX driving, or a dual snorkle setup off of a Plymouth 400 ci police interceptor, had one on my Fury for years, shoulda never gotten rid of it. Right now I'm using a generic 12" round, with a K&N element on the 2150. Runs fine except when cold.
Let us not forget what our fathers taught us.

Ham-in-a-Wag
1967 Plymouth Fury
1979 Wagoneer
2000 RAV4

FSJunkie

Post by FSJunkie »

Engines need a richer carburetor in cold weather than in hot. Back in the day, carburetors ran a little rich in hot weather to make sure the engine didn't lean out in the cold.

Emissions came around and the carbruetors couldn't get away with being slightly rich in hot weather any more, so now carbruetors were jetted for the proper mixture in hot weather, but unfortunately ran too lean in cold weather. This was made up for with the warm air intake air cleaner to basically fool the carburetor into thinking it is summer all the time.

What does this mean for you?

It means if you run an emissions-era carb designed to use a warm air intake air cleaner with a conventional open air cleaner, it will be too lean in cold weather, particularly until the engine reaches operating temperature.
1972 Wagoneer: 360 2V, THM-400, D20, D30 closed knuckle, D44 Trac-lok 3.31.
1965 Rambler Ambassador: 327 4V, BW M-10 auto, AMC 20 3.15.
1973 AMC Ambassador: 360 4V, TC-727.
1966 AMC Marlin 327 4V, T-10 4 speed, AMC 20 Powr-lok 3.54.

VOX

Post by VOX »

FSJunkie wrote:Engines need a richer carburetor in cold weather than in hot. Back in the day, carburetors ran a little rich in hot weather to make sure the engine didn't lean out in the cold.

Emissions came around and the carbruetors couldn't get away with being slightly rich in hot weather any more, so now carbruetors were jetted for the proper mixture in hot weather, but unfortunately ran too lean in cold weather. This was made up for with the warm air intake air cleaner to basically fool the carburetor into thinking it is summer all the time.

What does this mean for you?

It means if you run an emissions-era carb designed to use a warm air intake air cleaner with a conventional open air cleaner, it will be too lean in cold weather, particularly until the engine reaches operating temperature.

Uhhh...that's what a choke is for guy. :P
Keith

1980 Wagoneer
1973 J10
1975 Cherokee Chief

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

The main purpose of the heated air inlet system was to ensure consistent air/fuel mixing to lower emissions and reduce fuel usage. A secondary purpose was to prevent carb icing.

By increasing the temperature of the air, the fuel will more effectively stay in suspension rather than falling out and forming droplets on the floor of the manifold.
The down-side is a loss of volumetric efficiency due to lower intake air density caused by the temp increase.
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation