Colorado FSJ 101 Course

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
Lumpskie

Colorado FSJ 101 Course

Post by Lumpskie »

Hey guys,

So, I've owned the Wagoneer for over 4 months and 5,000 miles now and haven't had a single issue with it... road trips, mild wheeling and all. BUT, that means I still don't know much about it, as I haven't had to dig into it and fix anything mechanical. I know it has an electric fuel pump. I know that it has new pistons/rods/oil pump/alternator/belts and that the radiator has been "cleaned" by Jones Automotive up in Ft. Collins. Beyond that, this rig is a mystery.

My question is, would any of you more seasoned FSJ-ers be willing to take a look at my jeep some time and give me your impression on it condition and whether there are any potential issues I should be looking for? Beyond that, would you be willing to give me a quick walkthrough on the mechanical and electrical systems? (where things are routed and how they work)

Examples of topics I'm interested to learn: (what should every responsible FSJ owner know and be able to fix?)

1) Fuel/carbs on the 360 - how to recognize incorrect mixture and how to fix it
2) Electrical System - Rear power window assembly, rear window wiper assembly, stereo wiring
3) Drivetrain - Potential weak points in drivetrain and parts I should be on the lookout for

I don't know if there is anyone else interested in learning this stuff in CO, but I'd be willing to supply you with some food/drinks and a meetup location (my house) if there is some interest.

So, would any of you guys be interested in instructing something like that? :fsj:

Thanks, in advance,

(Mods: Feel free to move this thread if you feel that General FSJ is not the right place to discuss. I just put this thread here because the local boards don't seem to get as much traffic)
1989 Grand Wagoneer - Rebuilt 360, 2" Alcans, 10" travel Gabriel Guadian shocks.
1996 Land Cruiser - 1HD-T Diesel, Gturbo (23psi), Wholesale Automatics 442f, F/R ARBs, 35" Duratracs, ARB Rear Bumper, OME 2" lift, home built sliders and aluminum belly skid
2000 Honda Civic - Integra GSR engine, transmission, shift linkage and axles, 200hp, 33 combined mpg
2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 9 - 437hp/447ft-lb

FSJ Guy

Re: Colorado FSJ 101 Course

Post by FSJ Guy »

Sounds like you need to set up a meet n greet. We haven't had one since the spring, so I think we're due.
Ethan Brady

http://www.bigscaryjeep.com

Jeepless, but I still have a lots of old parts in my garage!

AwesomeJ10

Post by AwesomeJ10 »

X2 on the meet and great! Maybe we could have one a little further north?

Back to the OP - you say that it's gone 5k miles without issue? Sounds pretty good to me.

My only advice would likely be to put some 1 ton axles and TBI in it!

Topic author
Lumpskie

Post by Lumpskie »

I'm game for a meet and greet! The only thing is that it would have to be somewhat close to my house. (since my wife is 9 months pregnant) I live down in Littleton... where would you guys like to meet up? If I got some food to grill and drinks , would there be any interest in traveling down to the Littleton area, or is that too far south? (no biggie if you guys want to stay farther north to be closer to home)
1989 Grand Wagoneer - Rebuilt 360, 2" Alcans, 10" travel Gabriel Guadian shocks.
1996 Land Cruiser - 1HD-T Diesel, Gturbo (23psi), Wholesale Automatics 442f, F/R ARBs, 35" Duratracs, ARB Rear Bumper, OME 2" lift, home built sliders and aluminum belly skid
2000 Honda Civic - Integra GSR engine, transmission, shift linkage and axles, 200hp, 33 combined mpg

sgtpoliteness

Post by sgtpoliteness »

We could compromise and meet here in Arvada. :D I'd love to hang out. I work November 8th (which is my birthday) and then I'm gone elk hunting the 12th through the 16th.

5k miles without an issue in a FSJ?! :shock:
1977 Cherokee Chief WT w/ 2" lift
360 (originally a 401)/TH400/QT w/ MM part-time
16197427 $OD junkyard TBI set-up

GrandWag&Prix

Post by GrandWag&Prix »

Congrats on the 5k without problems! On my way into work last week the gear shift lever pulls off. The next day the left front speaker stops working. Today I noticed a new leak.

I'm in Denver - a meet and greet sounds fun!
1991 Jeep Grand Wagoneer Spinnaker Blue Metallic
2009 Pontiac G8GT
1983 Suzuki GS1100E
1982 Chrysler LeBaron
Visit My Garage: http://www.bobrebello.us/

Topic author
Lumpskie

Post by Lumpskie »

Short notice but, would you guys be interested in meeting up this week? Say Thursday or Friday after work? I could buy some burgers and drinks and we could do a little BBQ at the same time...

mejerifly

Post by mejerifly »

I am interested in meeting up. I won't be much help with
instruction but I would love to hang out. I might be available
Thursday evening.

Jeremy
'84 J20 360/727/208

GrandWag&Prix

Post by GrandWag&Prix »

Ya, Thursday's open.
2009 Pontiac G8GT
1983 Suzuki GS1100E
1982 Chrysler LeBaron

AwesomeJ10

Post by AwesomeJ10 »

not to change things up, but I know that last winter we had a mini meet n greet at the junkyard in denver.. IIRC there was like a foot of snow and we ended up pulling a couple of TBI's.

had a great time!

maybe we could do something like that?

Topic author
Lumpskie

Post by Lumpskie »

Hey Blake,

Would you be up for doing 2 meets through the winter with the first one focusing on helping some of us noobs to learn the basics and the second one being a junkyard run? I want to do TBI on my waggy, but I don't know enough about it to know where to start!

Since tomorrow is already Thursday, would you guys like to shoot for next Thursday to get together? (or is tomorrow better for you guys?)

AwesomeJ10

Post by AwesomeJ10 »

I'm not very motivated to go down south except for to hit the yards every now and then. I simply HATE Denver traffic :banghead:

Topic author
Lumpskie

Post by Lumpskie »

Blake, I understand the traffic situation. I'll probably be able to set up a junk yard run early next year... You interested in that?

Everyone else: Are you interested in getting together next Thursday? Who's in and who's out?

GrandWag&Prix

Post by GrandWag&Prix »

I can't do next Thursday :( but I'm open for any type of trip (bbq, junkyard, moderate trail, etc) and would also be interested in talking to someone about eventually converting to TBI.
2009 Pontiac G8GT
1983 Suzuki GS1100E
1982 Chrysler LeBaron

AwesomeJ10

Post by AwesomeJ10 »

now if we are talking about running some trails.... well count me in! We go 'wheeling pretty much every weekend. Now that it's almost snow bashing season (almost) , we will be doing more 'wheeling.

Some of the stuff we've done recently is:

Bunce School Road
Johnny Park
Middle Saint Vrain
Jenny Creek/Rollins Pass
Mammoth Gultch
Carabou
Switzerland.

Here is a pic from last weekend near the top of Middle St Vrain.

It has TBI :D

Topic author
Lumpskie

Post by Lumpskie »

I'll be out wheeling the Tacoma this weekend but, after that, I think my schedule is going to be kind of packed until Feb. or Mar. That being said, it sounds like there's more interest in a wheeling get together than anything else so let's post up suggestions on dates/locations for a trip. If I can squeeze it into my schedule, I'd love to get out and wheel with you guys... even if I have to bring the yota.

Topic author
Lumpskie

Post by Lumpskie »

If anyone is interested, some of my Yota buddies and I will be hitting Miller Rock on Sunday:

http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=104

AwesomeJ10

Post by AwesomeJ10 »

Lumpskie wrote:If anyone is interested, some of my Yota buddies and I will be hitting Miller Rock on Sunday:

http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=104
What time?

I could bring my LX450 with all three factory lockers and a few other goodies.

Any idea if the gate is open at the end? I hate having to turn around and re-run the trail on the way down when the gate is closed.

I think the last time I ran that trail in the Lexus it took like 30 minutes. You doing the other nearby trails too?

Topic author
Lumpskie

Post by Lumpskie »

You should bring your Lexus... I think there's going to be another Land Cruiser coming. I believe that one of the guys already called the camp to open the gate for us. I'm not sure about other trails, but I'm sure we can decide on the fly. Also, I think we'll probably run the spur from the trail, which might take a little longer. I don't really know as I have never run this trail before. I'll PM you some info... PM me back you number (I think I still have it, but I'm not sure) and we can work the details!