New with questions about Bestop rear spare mount

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
AZPartsLocators

Post by AZPartsLocators »

First off let me tell you a little about myself. I am primarily a GMC guy but have owned a couple of Jeeps over the years. I have a used auto parts company and spend my time scouring wrecking yards and swap meets for hard to find parts. I have owned this rear spare tire carrier for a lot of years. I no longer have a Jeep and want to verify this is indeed for a Grand Wagoneer. I purchased this used over 10 years ago and never got a chance to try it before selling the Jeep. I have searched the internet on and off for the last few years and never found any like it. What I need to find out is if the brackets look correct. I would really hate to sell this and have it returned to me. When I bought it the owner guaranteed me it was right and I could return it if it didn't fit. I just trusted him and never checked. I periodically loose a piece here and there and finally have all of the pieces together. I would appreciate any help/advice from anyone that may know. Thanks in advance!

Topic author
AZPartsLocators

Re: New with questions about Bestop rear spare mount

I have been on a lot of forums over the years and usually members like to help people out. All I am looking for is to know if the brackets look like they would fit the shape of the quarter panel and the tailgate. I could take these into a wrecking yard and see if they line up but first I would have to find a yard with a fsj and then they would mark up my parts with paint to verify they are the same ones I brought in. I figured all of you own Jeeps so it would be a good place to ask.

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

Welcome to the Network. Some of us own Jeeps. ;) Usually, if you don't get a reply here, folks don't have experience with your topic. Sometimes they don't but talk like they do. ;) Anyway, that does not answer your question.

I am not familiar with a tire carrier that looks like that for a Wagoneer/Cherokee. I have been driving them since 1976. I guess there is a remote chance it will fit but I doubt it.
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

jaber
Vendor

Post by jaber »

Welcome to the Network... Image

I cant help with your question, but if your ever in the Prescott area, I have 2 GWs and a Cherokee here you could hold them up to to see, and I wont mark on them... ;)
Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 Cummins service truck
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/

FSJ Guy

Post by FSJ Guy »

Looks like an external swing away carrier. Perhaps it is for one of the XJ series Jeeps? I've never seen one like that on an FSJ before. <shrug>
Ethan Brady

http://www.bigscaryjeep.com

Jeepless, but I still have a lots of old parts in my garage!

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

I installed several of the Bestop carriers on old and new GW's and Cherokees at the Jeep dealership in the late 80s till 91 and something about that rack doesn't look right. It appears too wide. The width between the lower holes on the end cap should be 67 1/2" and 67" between the uppers. The Warn brand rack I saw used a pair of long vertical end brackets like the ones I see in your photo, but had a taper on the bolt hole side to match the sloping edge of the quarter panel and cap. I can't remember if there was a separate tapered bracket or if it was one piece.

The Bestop kits I put in had L-shaped steel brackets that mounted to the quarter panels and wrapped around the quarter panel end cap just above the taillights. There was also a bracket that mounted to the tailgate toward the drivers side that had a rubber bumper on it to dampen vibration I assume.
Below is a photo of the inner backing tabs inside the quarter panel.
Those tabs backed up the exterior plate on the quarter.

The shot below shows the mounting holes for the plate over the taillight.
You can see how years of vibration tore up the end cap and tailgate.
There was a hinge bracket on the passenger side that used the existing factory bumper bolt holes and was inboard of the taillight so it and the vertical tube didn't obscure the light.
Now looking at the mounting bracket on your carrier, I see a tall angle channel with much more spacing and height.
I am no expert for sure, but that looks like a carrier that was mounted on a brushguard or rear cargo rack...which may very well be an authentic Bestop made unit for an FSJ, just not like the ones I put on.

I hope this helps you out.
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

ghcoe

Post by ghcoe »

I think it is one for a XJ. The L bracket should use the same holes as the tail light and then goes over the top of the tail light and attaches to a bolt on the body. It should not require any drilling because it uses existing bolt locations for the lights and body. The brackets come out between the light and the hatch. Hope that helps.
SW Idaho Overlanding Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SWIdahoOverlan ... page_panel
SW Idaho Overlanding Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYuRx2 ... wVwZJ5oztg
1977 Jeep Cherokee WT
All-Terrain T/A® KO2
Safari Kit
Factory Brush Guard
Factory Tire Carrier
Custom Roof Rack

serehill
Vendor

Post by serehill »

I believe it's for a TJ. The one that Tats is showing is not a best top it's where a Valley mount was.. It's was made by the same company that made the popular brush guard- Valley. The bracket on the one Like Tat's connected to the fender area. The one you have mounts to the back or tailgate. Most YJ's mount to the fender also. If you mounted that to a tailgate you would have fun getting the tailgate open & closed FSJ or YJ.. I've never seen one like that one an FSJ. That doesn't mean they didn't wind up on a few FSJ in My opinion.

Attached is the Valley model which is the most popular model fpr FSJ. I don't recall best top even being around in the FSJ era. That doesn't mean they weren't. I just think the mounting restricts your mount to being TJ or FSJ.

Again just my opinions.

This is a valley. I have one I'll never use.

1980 Honcho 258 4 speed mostly stock with 4 " lift.

WIP

You know the rude dude from IFSJA

1980 Cherokee wrangled & mangled
MSD complete system
Eddy intake
Holley 650
Comp cam 270H
4" Rusty's
Ramsey 12K winch
Built to drive not sit in the garage.

No longer strangled. I didn't build it for anyone else.
If you can't improve it why waste your time?

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

Thanks for the correction serehill:

Yer right, the brackets on my rig were Valley and I'd forgotten we installed them at Reno Jeep along with Warn, DrawTite and Bestop items.
Good catch!
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

rlars7

Post by rlars7 »

serehill wrote:I believe it's for a TJ. The one that Tats is showing is not a best top it's where a Valley mount was.. It's was made by the same company that made the popular brush guard- Valley. The bracket on the one Like Tat's connected to the fender area. The one you have mounts to the back or tailgate. Most YJ's mount to the fender also. If you mounted that to a tailgate you would have fun getting the tailgate open & closed FSJ or YJ.. I've never seen one like that one an FSJ. That doesn't mean they didn't wind up on a few FSJ in My opinion.

Attached is the Valley model which is the most popular model fpr FSJ. I don't recall best top even being around in the FSJ era. That doesn't mean they weren't. I just think the mounting restricts your mount to being TJ or FSJ.

Again just my opinions.

This is a valley. I have one I'll never use.

You have one you won't use? Any interest in selling?

-Rob
1990 Grand Wagoneer
360/727/229
Pre Runner Bumpers
Locked in the rear
250k+ miles and going strong

73 J4600/79 J10 - Sold

66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

For what it's worth, all I've ever seen, or used is the Valley brand.

Topic author
AZPartsLocators

Thanks for the responses and welcomes guys. This is the information that I was looking for. If I make it up to Prescott I would love to check and see if it fits. These just aren't showing up at the wrecking yards here in Phoenix anymore. It is a large item and I would hate to sell it to someone and have it not fit and pay return shipping on it. I know that it doesn't fit an XJ as I actually had one relatively recently and it was way to big for it.

Topic author
AZPartsLocators

ghcoe wrote:I think it is one for a XJ. The L bracket should use the same holes as the tail light and then goes over the top of the tail light and attaches to a bolt on the body. It should not require any drilling because it uses existing bolt locations for the lights and body. The brackets come out between the light and the hatch. Hope that helps.
I used to have an XJ but this didn't fit it. In reality the best bet is for me to find a Full size and see if the brackets line up. I guess I better keep them with me when I am out and about in case I see one!

KJ Ryu

Post by KJ Ryu »

There's enough AZ guys here, you'd think someone could swing by in theirs.
Ron

2005 KJ, Hit-n-Run, 2am 6-17-2012, Totaled. :mad:
1977 SJ J10, 4v360, T18, D20, 37x14s, SOA & SF on tons, still ugly.
1978 SJ Wagoneer, 4v360, QT, 33x12.5s, lift by Sawzall :-bd NOT Running :(
1977 SJ J10, SniperEFI 401, QT, D44s, 31X10.5s :fsj:
2006 KJ
Mars wrote:One man's trans leak is another's penetrating oil :D

Topic author
AZPartsLocators

I actually found one in my neighborhood today. I just need to grab the brackets and knock on their door and see if it is okay to check the fit.