Rusty's 2" AAL

Area for General FSJ related chat.

bwwhaler

Re: Rusty's 2

Post by bwwhaler »

I hate to revive this old thread, but I have a couple of questions as I am thinking about the Rusty's AAL for my rig. Jjkage84 did you finish the front? Do you have any pics of it? How do you like the ride now? Also, do you need longer shocks with this modification? Thanks, I have to do this on the cheap, and get rid of the sag, that's why I was asking.
1987 GW 360/727/229 Performer intake Holley 670 32's 4" BJ's Springs CS-144 Serehill's light and tailgate harness

bbuenger71

Post by bbuenger71 »

bwwhaler wrote:I hate to revive this old thread, but I have a couple of questions as I am thinking about the Rusty's AAL for my rig. Jjkage84 did you finish the front? Do you have any pics of it? How do you like the ride now? Also, do you need longer shocks with this modification? Thanks, I have to do this on the cheap, and get rid of the sag, that's why I was asking.
I'm right there with you. I want to do the same to mine and have the same questions. I need tires and don't wanna invest money on the stock size if I plan on lifting it soon. Also, What size tire works best with this lift? On stock rims.

Also... What about the 3.5" AAL Rusty's has on their site? Would this be okay to do front and rear?

http://www.rustysoffroad.com/jeep-suspe ... -pair.html
1976 Wagoneer
360/TH400/QT
Edelbrock non EGR, Holley 600cfm, 32" BFG Mud Terrain KM2's. Lots of Bondo.
http://fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=7276

bwwhaler

Post by bwwhaler »

Those were what I was looking at, and I believe one of the original posters said that it was around $150 for the springs, so, I was thinking that it could have been those you are looking at. Hopefully, one of the OP's can chime in and give us an update. I am running 31's now on worn out stock springs, so I am sure that they will work with any lift, not sure about going to 32's with just add a leaf's. I really want to know about the shock issues and exactly what springs they used and what the end result of the lift was... 1", 2" of lift?
1987 GW 360/727/229 Performer intake Holley 670 32's 4" BJ's Springs CS-144 Serehill's light and tailgate harness

Mdcptman

Post by Mdcptman »

I got about 2 1/2 inches of lift out of the Rusty's 2 inch AAL kit. I bought the kit that included shocks, because yes, you need longer shocks. I also got a new steering stabilizer at the same time. All went together very well. And the stance is perfect on 31x10.5s. Im not sure if 32s would fit without rubbing. I am using aftermarket rims with about a 1/4" more backspacing, and that seems to help with clearance. Cost of everything with shipping was under $350. I love it and I'd do it again.
88 Grand Wagoneer
360/727/208
Edelbrock 2131, non-EGR
Holley 600
Hydroboost
Hedman headers
Dual exhaust
MSD 6A
TFI conversion
Rusty's 2" Add-a-Leaf kit
31 x 10.5 LT15 Goodyear Wrangler Authority Tires
S-10 Steering Box Mod

Quote From Friend's Mom:
"You don't rely on that vehicle do you?"

bwwhaler

Post by bwwhaler »

Great, thanks for the info... I believe I may try getting just the front and rear leaves and running my stock shocks for a bit until I can afford new ones. I know they will limit downward flex, but hopefully not much more. At least I could buy a few months or so like that.

BotterbrodtGE

Post by BotterbrodtGE »

Wanting to go for a certain look/functional setup with my Wag. I want to get 16" steel wheels (looks like 4.00"BS is all that's available so I'll deal with that, maybe customs with 3.75"BS). I am looking to run skinny tires so I'm thinking 235/85R16 tires. Will 2 inches of lift give me enough clearance? It'll be a road only Wag for now since work doesn't give me time to go out and enjoy the rugged side of life, at most a dirt road/trail most likely maintained. I am going for the 60's look with minimum lift and skinny tires since I don't need a lot of height. I am not against trimming around the wheel wells but at most only 1". I know my choice of tire is around 32" in diameter but most of my reading has leaned towards the wide tire being the limiting factor with rubbing

1990 Grand Wagoneer, Stock height, Beat and Needing some Love
1990 Jeep Wagoneer, Stock Height, Badly Needing some Love

Mdcptman

Post by Mdcptman »

BotterbrodtGE wrote:Wanting to go for a certain look/functional setup with my Wag. I want to get 16" steel wheels (looks like 4.00"BS is all that's available so I'll deal with that, maybe customs with 3.75"BS). I am looking to run skinny tires so I'm thinking 235/85R16 tires. Will 2 inches of lift give me enough clearance? It'll be a road only Wag for now since work doesn't give me time to go out and enjoy the rugged side of life, at most a dirt road/trail most likely maintained. I am going for the 60's look with minimum lift and skinny tires since I don't need a lot of height. I am not against trimming around the wheel wells but at most only 1". I know my choice of tire is around 32" in diameter but most of my reading has leaned towards the wide tire being the limiting factor with rubbing

1990 Grand Wagoneer, Stock height, Beat and Needing some Love
I think you would be ok, but dont know for certain. Because of the way the springs travel wen compressed, you may rub at the front of the wheel opening of the rear tire. The wheel moves up and forward at full flex, so a bigger tire will sometimes rub there. Just bend it in a little with a soft hammer and it will be good.

As for using original shocks: the stock shocks wont limit compression, they limit extension. In stock form, they already limit full extension by an inch or 2. So using stock shocks w a 2 inch lift will be noticed if you want the suspension to travel to full extension. It wont show up really in sitting still or on smooth roads. The shocks that came with the Rusty's kit have been great so far. If u get the kit make sure u check all the boxes for all the hardware as soon as u get it. They originally shipped mine without the shock bushings. I didnt open the box for 6 months after it arrived, and found that the bushings and the steering stabilizer weren't in there. I called Rusty's and they gladly, and promptly made it right. I had the missing parts in 2days after I called. As I said, Rusty's customer service is great.
88 Grand Wagoneer
360/727/208
Edelbrock 2131, non-EGR
Holley 600
Hydroboost
Hedman headers
Dual exhaust
MSD 6A
TFI conversion
S-10 Steering Box Mod

Quote From Friend's Mom:

bwwhaler

Post by bwwhaler »

Thanks for the reply, and info, one more question. Did you remove your spring pack to add the leaf, or just leave them on and take it apart without removing it from the frame. It seems it would go quicker removing the spring pack, unless you run into a problem.

Mdcptman

Post by Mdcptman »

I did not remove the spring pack. I left the long leaf with the eyes on the ends attached to the shackle. I cut the center bolt, and reassembled the pack using 2 big c clamps. I do think it would be much easier to assemble the pack out of the vehicle. But i didnt wanna get into un doing the shackles.
88 Grand Wagoneer
360/727/208
Edelbrock 2131, non-EGR
Holley 600
Hydroboost
Hedman headers
Dual exhaust
MSD 6A
TFI conversion
S-10 Steering Box Mod

Quote From Friend's Mom:

surfwagoneer

Post by surfwagoneer »

For anyone that is interested I called rusty's today and asked about their 3.5" AAL, they said its made for our front springs. I plan on using these in combo with a rear shackle flip using the ford ranger rear spring hangers http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=144373 Gonna use this on my chief to get a bit more lift on the cheap for the time being. Might also go ahead and swap in some rear chevy springs too if I can figure out a junkyard rear driveshaft swap for the extra length needed.
89 GW- Rebuilt 360 w RV camshaft, 4 inch Rustys spring lift, 1" body lift, dana 44HD front, 14 bolt rear 3.73's.
78 Cherokee Chief- work in progress

bwwhaler

Post by bwwhaler »

That's good to know, I was wondering what they were for, I guess I can use these for the front and use the 2 inch for the rear with a small block to level it out.