"Only 110K Original Miles" or so I thought...

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
Nikkormat

"Only 110K Original Miles" or so I thought...

Post by Nikkormat »

Background: My jeep was sold to me as having 108k on the clock. And I assumed this was correct. 2 months and 2 thousand miles later, the 401 kicked the bucket. Threw two rods and bent a third. Firetruck in the right lane thought I was on fire and wouldnt let me off until there was enough space for both of us. This combined with the a**hole behind me driving 6 inched from my tailgate meant that it saw freeway speed with no oil and three F'ed up cylinders for 3 long minutes.

Now:

New 401 is ready to go in some I'm over at the mechanics helping them pull the dead 401. It comes out with releative ease, but the old guy in the group asks... "When did you rebuild the transmission? This atf is practically new and that tourqe converter isn't from the 70's". I thought it was strange that a th400 would have needed rebuilt in 110 thousand miles so I wrote it off as a fluke.

Then we got the engine out. And much to my dissmay there was writing on the back of the block in paint pen. It read " LBLOCK 11-07-89 MILES-190K STEVE JACOBS "
190 thousand miles! In 1989! I thought this must have been a mistake but the last oil change sticker from owner #2 in the glovebox read 08-12-89 and 88763 miles. Maybe he wrote the 190 instead of 90 by mistake.

After we got it out the builder from the speed shop up the hill from us came to offer me money for the heads assuming they weren't cracked. He flips the motor over on the stand and starts cracking up. "How many miles does this thing have!!?!" He breaks out the feeler gauges and starts poking around... "There's no way its 110k its more like 200k. And the rods that threw were sleeved; so it probably been rebuilt a couple of times or run out of oil once or twice before that last rebuild. You can keep this heads. I don't want em if there THAT broke in."

I know that jeep was daily driven until late in 04. I've got recipts from PO #3 in the glovebox that tell me so. I also know where he works and where he lives (written in owners manual). His commute was 42 miles round trip. PO #2 worked at the same hospital and was friends with #3. But she lived 48 round trip away from the hospital. #2 aqquired the jeep when it was a little over a year old. So let's say that it was driven at least 240 miles in a five day work week. Over the course of 29 years thats 250590 miles. I should have done this math before trusting what PO #3 told PO#4 in his driveway.

Still puzzled about the high milage of my tough old friend I set about replacing the defroster vent tubes. Only the drivers side was fully intact but I received the least flow. I thought that some insulation must have blown up inside through the heater box so I was just going to replace the drivers side too. I pulled it off and the first thing I notice is the weight. "This is a REALLY heavy piece of fabric hose" I thought at first. But what I found inside the tube was truly amazing. And helped to confirm my new high mileage findings.
Here are the pictures of all the goodies in found in there. Including an original key! http://imgur.com/a/Zwz0o

There's a matchbook in there for a hotel in Atlanta Georgia and Minneapolis Minnesota. So I know she's been that far. The others are just small local places... Like the drive in movie theater! I'm actually starting to beleive the newfound high mileage.

So she actually has 310 thousand miles. :| I don't know what to even think about that. Just wow. AMC built one hell of a car. Let's see if I can make it to 500k!
Gabe, "reformed" Jeep hoarder.

jaber
Vendor

Re: "Only 110K Original Miles" or so I thought...

Post by jaber »

Damn, that Blistex tube is an antique...

350K is not surprising to me. Do the keys still work?
Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 Cummins service truck
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/

TUDrewser

Post by TUDrewser »

Great story, except for the, you know, unexpected high mileage. But that's like finding a time capsule! At least now you have a brand new 401 with a pretty fresh rebuilt tranny. Really can't beat that...500k should be no issue if you take care of it and don't let it sit for long periods :)
1990 GW "saved by Jerry" edition
will e wrote:I guess life is better if you are not moving too fast.

Topic author
Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

Yeah the keys work great. They don't fall out of the lock like the worn flat ace hardwear key that replaced them. There isn't a tooth left on that thing, you have to jiggle the ace one to open the door. But these slide right in and unlock it. I'll try and post a before and after of the key, its a BIG difference.

TUDrewser

Post by TUDrewser »

Nikkormat wrote:Yeah the keys work great. They don't fall out of the lock like the worn flat ace hardwear key that replaced them. There isn't a tooth left on that thing, you have to jiggle the ace one to open the door. But these slide right in and unlock it. I'll try and post a before and after of the key, its a BIG difference.
Get a new copy or two made of the good key NOW. :)
1990 GW "saved by Jerry" edition
will e wrote:I guess life is better if you are not moving too fast.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Not surprised at all, these do not have a million mile odometer. So they roll over many times. My J10 is just a touch over 240k ( I know it has rolled over at least once, but more likely twice judging by what I have had to replace). Its pretty hard to not be over 200k on a vehicle that is 40 years old.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

berettajeep

Post by berettajeep »

I found my keys in my defroster tube also! :lol:
'47 CJ2A My build
'74 Cherokee S 401/auto My build
'94 Cherokee 4.0 5 speed
'06 Liberty Renegade
'46 CJ2A

Topic author
Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

Yeah I will. I just ordered a set of NOS AMC key blanks on eBay. I also got a Buxton Key Tainer, one of those leather key wallets. :-bd

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

Interesting stuff. Some even last longer! My 88 360 had 245,000 on it when it lost compression in #2 cylinder. I think Letank has 340,000 on an original 74 360.
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

One must keep in mind that in the mid 1970s an engine that was used hard and not maintained was just about dead at 60k miles. Good maintenance kept these engines alive far longer than expected and that's a tribute to the owners.
It's easy to forget the old days when a modern car's service plan dictates spark plugs being changed at 125-150k miles when it wasn't all that long ago that they were fouled or burnt up after 15,000.
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

letank

Post by letank »

fulsizjeep wrote:Interesting stuff. Some even last longer! My 88 360 had 245,000 on it when it lost compression in #2 cylinder. I think Letank has 340,000 on an original 74 360.
Very good memory, 349xxxmiles on the OEM block, and trany. I have not driven too much in the last 2 years, gas tank rusted beyond reasonable use, and I have been a bit too laid back to reinstall another tank, my shoulder was not too happy.
When I started to read the post, I was thinking year 74, then the commute, it is over 300k. I used mine for a commuter until 2000.... then it was the moto.

Dang no tapes of the watergate either ....
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

sgtpoliteness

Post by sgtpoliteness »

That's awesome, man!

I'll look to see if that café is still in Genesee. That's only like 10 miles or so from here.

Edit: I see you're in Evergreen! Never mind! :oops:
1977 Cherokee Chief WT w/ 2" lift
360 (originally a 401)/TH400/QT w/ MM part-time
16197427 $OD junkyard TBI set-up

Topic author
Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

Yeah, I think that I'll go looking for that cafe for lunch on whatever day the new motor goes in. I think its still there. That match book is copyright 1996 though...

It could very well have 410k that's what the builder thinks it has. Match marking of two separate styles and the crank has been ballenced more than once. One set of the ballence machine readings are x'd and new, lighter numbers are stamped above.

Lumpskie

Post by Lumpskie »

Man, this thread definitely has me thinking. I bought mine with 112,000 "original miles" but my motor/trans were freshly rebuilt... If that Genesee Towne Café still exists, we should have a Colorado meet there!
1989 Grand Wagoneer - Rebuilt 360, 2" Alcans, 10" travel Gabriel Guadian shocks.
1996 Land Cruiser - 1HD-T Diesel, Gturbo (23psi), Wholesale Automatics 442f, F/R ARBs, 35" Duratracs, ARB Rear Bumper, OME 2" lift, home built sliders and aluminum belly skid
2000 Honda Civic - Integra GSR engine, transmission, shift linkage and axles, 200hp, 33 combined mpg
2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 9 - 437hp/447ft-lb

Topic author
Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

Absolutely! If I remember right its run by an elderly german couple. I haven't been over on that side of I-70 in genesee for a couple of years but last time I was it was there and busy. So short of retirement I see no reason for it to have closed.

Lumpskie

Post by Lumpskie »

It looks like it closed... Bummer.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/genesee-towne-cafe-golden
1989 Grand Wagoneer - Rebuilt 360, 2" Alcans, 10" travel Gabriel Guadian shocks.
1996 Land Cruiser - 1HD-T Diesel, Gturbo (23psi), Wholesale Automatics 442f, F/R ARBs, 35" Duratracs, ARB Rear Bumper, OME 2" lift, home built sliders and aluminum belly skid
2000 Honda Civic - Integra GSR engine, transmission, shift linkage and axles, 200hp, 33 combined mpg
2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 9 - 437hp/447ft-lb

Topic author
Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

Darn... I guess we'll have to find somewhere else.

FSJ Guy

Post by FSJ Guy »

That key looks like someone didn't pop out the "plug" that has the key code on it. They just drilled through it, instead.
Ethan Brady

http://www.bigscaryjeep.com

Jeepless, but I still have a lots of old parts in my garage!

Topic author
Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

Yep. Just drilled right through.

Topic author
Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

Good news! I just found a rebuild tag on the qudratrac from 2001 stating it was rebuilt at 370k miles. So, my jeep does have 410k miles. And there is only around 40k on my quadratrac! Score one for the high millage fifth owner! :D