Water in my gas aftermath... And why you should always check your gas can pre-fill.

Area for General FSJ related chat.

cmaje72

Re: Water in my gas aftermath... And why you should always check your gas can pre-fill.

Post by cmaje72 »

Why not just pop the sender cover off take the sender out and pump everything out from there? You could even jack the front of it up as high as possible to make most of the water/gas run to the back of the tank. Worked great for me when I dropped the sender filter down in there and much easier than dropping the tank.
79 Cherokee 5.3/4l65E/NP241C
79 CJ7

Topic author
Nikkormat

Re: Water in my gas aftermath... And why you should always check your gas can pre-fill.

Post by Nikkormat »

I don't think 74's have the access panel. I also don't have the coffin tank like later rigs. My pickup and sender are two separate units one at the front and one at the back.
Gabe, "reformed" Jeep hoarder.

Stuka
Site Admin

Water in my gas aftermath... And why you should always check your gas can pre-fill.

Post by Stuka »

The plate didn't exist until the 80's as I recall.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

Topic author
Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

OK here's my plan as of now. First, I will run all of the gas in the tank through a MR Funnel Filter to remove any unabsorbed water. Then in will 4 more gallons of fresh and as much methanol as is safe. This should make it runnable and alleviate the rust risk. After making some room in the top of the tank I'll add a double dose of marine formula stabil to take care of the waterlogged ethanol that I think is the root of my no run issue. Ah ethanol, the root of all evil.

Herk

Post by Herk »

Ethanol and methanol are both miscible with water and gasoline. If you have ethanol in your gas and free water the ethanol isn't the problem it's water. If there was no ethanol, you'd just have more free water on the bottom.

carnuck

Post by carnuck »

In Canada Mohawk gas stations used to sell an 18% blend of ethanol and methanol. Long term it caused a LOT of car fires and they were sued pretty much out of existence.
Check my parts for sale near Seattle

Topic author
Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

Were finally seeing some melting around here so hopefully I can tackle this tomorrow.

CheapJeepBrad

Post by CheapJeepBrad »

why not just run the carb/engine off of a gas can hanging from the hood and run a line from the fuel pump to out on the driveway? since the water is at the bottom, it should pump most of it out first. Then just load up with dry gas.
Current FSJs:
79 Chief White/Russet
78 Chief orange/tan
FSJs Owned:
87 GW: Garnet/Oxblood
83 GW: Green/Peanut Butter
87 GW: Black/Oxblood
74 Cherokee NT: Blue/Brown
77 Chief:Tan/Garnet
87 GW: Silver/Oxblood
79 Cherokee Golden Eagle: Garnet/Tan
81 J10 blue/blue