Share your 35mm film photographs of FSJs

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
CosmicRhino

Share your 35mm film photographs of FSJs

Post by CosmicRhino »

Here are a few taken this last weekend by Anneliese during our trip to Lowman, Idaho. We went up for a snowshoe trip to a forest service guard station cabin and hot spring soaking :-bd

stevenwinslow

Re: Share your 35mm film photographs of FSJs

Post by stevenwinslow »

Nice shots! Beautiful rig! I hate to show my tire/wheel ignorance, but what size rims and tires are you running? I have a '79 J10 that I want to put larger tires on but I'm not ready to do a lift. Did you lift your GE? Doesn't look like much of a lift if you did.

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

How do you digitize your 35mm? It looks amazing.

I haven't shot color in too long... Good thing I'm taking my new 35 stuff to Moab with the group.
Gabe, "reformed" Jeep hoarder.

Topic author
CosmicRhino

Post by CosmicRhino »

stevenwinslow wrote:Nice shots! Beautiful rig! I hate to show my tire/wheel ignorance, but what size rims and tires are you running? I have a '79 J10 that I want to put larger tires on but I'm not ready to do a lift. Did you lift your GE? Doesn't look like much of a lift if you did.
The wheels are 15x8, I bought them from Summit: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/usw-70-5860/overview/
Should be noted that they are not hub centric, the center bore diameter is slightly wider than our rigs require. Thus you need to mount them lug centric instead. I haven't had any issues with vibrations or shakiness at any speed.

The tires are KO2s, 33x10.5. I'm not sure what lift my cherokee has, if any; but it comfortably fits 33" tires without any rubbing. I'm not an expert on lift geometry, I've seen many say that 4" is the best lift for 33" tires. There are rancho shocks present that are fairly worn out, so it is possible a previous owner did a lift at some point. I don't have any body blocks in, it's all spring.

I've also read that model 17s like mine came with a ~2" lift from the factory. The wider fender flare makes a difference in amount of required lift for larger tires.
Nikkormat wrote:How do you digitize your 35mm? It looks amazing.

I haven't shot color in too long... Good thing I'm taking my new 35 stuff to Moab with the group.
Take lots of beautiful 35mm Moab photography! There is a part of me that is still considering mobbing down there, but I might need to take care of some transmission work first...

When the film gets developed, they take scans of the negatives and upload them to dropbox. Another cheaper but cool way is to scan negatives directly into your smartphone with something like this: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/9 ... anner.html

I always assumed you would be a 35mm guy because of your username ;)

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

I've been trying to find someone to develop film locally, but Walgreen's wants $10 a roll without prints. Yikes. Walmart will send film out for processing but I didn't even ask how many arms and legs that would cost me.

Where do you have your film developed? I've been shooting black and white processing at school for the past few years and have become a bit spoiled shooting for $2 a roll...

Topic author
CosmicRhino

Post by CosmicRhino »

Nikkormat wrote:I've been trying to find someone to develop film locally, but Walgreen's wants $10 a roll without prints. Yikes. Walmart will send film out for processing but I didn't even ask how many arms and legs that would cost me.

Where do you have your film developed? I've been shooting black and white processing at school for the past few years and have become a bit spoiled shooting for $2 a roll...
Oops, sorry I missed your question here. These photos were developed at a place in Philadelphia called Indie Photo Lab. I think Anneliese said they were $12 a roll. They develop in color, save all the negatives for you, and upload the digital scans to drop box so you can download them.

Her last roll was developed at Idaho Camera, these were taken in a higher ISO.

Heading into the Owyhee desert

Looking out from inside of a canyon

From up above on the canyon bluffs

Topic author
CosmicRhino

Post by CosmicRhino »

Ghcoe's Jeep

My Jeep

Topic author
CosmicRhino

Post by CosmicRhino »

Topic author
CosmicRhino

Post by CosmicRhino »

The trail took a steep drop off here!

Ancient earth dam control channel

Topic author
CosmicRhino

Post by CosmicRhino »

Spot the lizard

ghcoe

Post by ghcoe »

Great pictures....Thanks for sharing.
SW Idaho Overlanding Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SWIdahoOverlan ... page_panel
SW Idaho Overlanding Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYuRx2 ... wVwZJ5oztg
1977 Jeep Cherokee WT
All-Terrain T/A® KO2
Safari Kit
Factory Brush Guard
Factory Tire Carrier
Custom Roof Rack

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

How did I miss these? Thanks for sharing! I need to find a place to develop mine cheap.

Post by 243 »

I want to see the same photos shot with Kodachrome 64 or Velvia 50.
1978 Cherokee NT, 5.3/4L60/NP241 in Progress

ZiRiu

Post by ZiRiu »

Really love the way 35mm looks. Reminds me of an old John Wayne or Clint Eastwood film but instead everybody has an FSJ instead of a horse.
1981 Wagoneer

360, TF727, NP-219 T-Case, D44 front, AMC 20 rear.

FSJ Guy

Post by FSJ Guy »

Nikkormat wrote:I've been trying to find someone to develop film locally, but Walgreen's wants $10 a roll without prints. Yikes. Walmart will send film out for processing but I didn't even ask how many arms and legs that would cost me.

It's about $12 for a 24 exp roll and 4x6" prints here in Ft Fun. There's only one wet lab here in town. Everyone else closed.

There's probably a wet lab or two left in the metro area. You just have to look. If all else fails, see if Metro Camera repair is still around and ask them. There used to be a pro lab in Lakewood (Called, amazingly enough "Pro Lab", I think). You could see if they're still around.

Sadly, the C-41 process is rather complicated and VERY temperature sensitive (just like the E-6 slide process) so it's not super easy to do at home.
Ethan Brady

http://www.bigscaryjeep.com

Jeepless, but I still have a lots of old parts in my garage!

Topic author
CosmicRhino

Post by CosmicRhino »

243 wrote:I want to see the same photos shot with Kodachrome 64 or Velvia 50.
Me too! That film is spendy though! Maybe we'll get our hands on a roll or two, for the love of FSJs and science.
ZiRiu wrote:Really love the way 35mm looks. Reminds me of an old John Wayne or Clint Eastwood film but instead everybody has an FSJ instead of a horse.
Love it. Agreed.
FSJ Guy wrote:

It's about $12 for a 24 exp roll and 4x6" prints here in Ft Fun. There's only one wet lab here in town. Everyone else closed.

There's probably a wet lab or two left in the metro area. You just have to look. If all else fails, see if Metro Camera repair is still around and ask them. There used to be a pro lab in Lakewood (Called, amazingly enough "Pro Lab", I think). You could see if they're still around.

Sadly, the C-41 process is rather complicated and VERY temperature sensitive (just like the E-6 slide process) so it's not super easy to do at home.
I have always wanted to learn the C-41 process and develop color at home, but as you say it is quite complicated and you need a very controlled environment.

Here's one more I took recently up on one of the peaks of Shaw Mountain road.

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

Thanks for the screen saver man. :-bd