Door latch spring

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
custom76

Door latch spring

Post by custom76 »

Just discovered one of the springs is bad on the drivers door. Pulled a spare off the parts Wag and it is bad, too. I still have the LH rear door one off the parts Wag to pull (hoping that spring is good) but was wondering if anyone knew if anyone knew if these springs are available anywhere, already checked BJ and Team Wag.

This is the main latch fastened to the inside of the door jamb that latches into the receiver. The spring is the longer one that keys into a small circular receiver and the end fits into a drilled hole, spring is a couple inches long thereabouts.
Thanks
1976 Custom Wagoneer Survivor
2000 WS6 Trans Am Conv, performance and suspension mods
1971 GTO Conv, 4 speed, built 428 (rest of its waiting for me to finish the Wag :| )
An old Pontiac guy gone Waggy!
:D Whoever designed these tailgates must still be grinning :D

Bearman

Re: Door latch spring

Post by Bearman »

I had the spring break in my latch, had to purchase a used latch with good spring intact. With good used latches getting harder to come by, I could see a vendor doing well if they could supply the market with the springs.
81' jeep j10 restoring piece by piece

Topic author
custom76

Post by custom76 »

Bearman wrote:I had the spring break in my latch, had to purchase a used latch with good spring intact. With good used latches getting harder to come by, I could see a vendor doing well if they could supply the market with the springs.
I agree, gotta be a need
1971 GTO Conv, 4 speed, built 428 (rest of its waiting for me to finish the Wag :| )

ShagWagon

Post by ShagWagon »

Bjs sells them but they too thick for my 87 I was hoping that thy would wear down some but they haven't and I'llprobably have to remove them because they too stiff and will most likely wear out my actuators.
87 Grand Wagoneer Rebuilt 360 by S&J, Fitech GO EFI 600, Novak in-tank fuel pump, Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift, BFG AT KO2 30", Dynamax Muffler, MSD distributor, MSD ignition, Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake, Elgin perf cam, Oil tube mod, Roller rockers, chrome molly lifters, HD alum radiator, Powermaster 150/100 alt, Alum HD water pump, Serhills tailgate harness, Cowl screen mod, Evil Twin grab handles, Rstep's custom AMC door lock knobs, all electrical works.

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

does this spring control the door lock ? My drivers door lock always falls down when i close the door its frustrating and because of that i have put a spare key in a magnetic box under my Jeep.. I could get all 4 from a Wagoneer 82-83 in the JY tomorrow if you can show me a picture where they are exactly. I could give you 2 of em if you pay for shipping
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

shimniok

Post by shimniok »

I used to sell these. If I wasn't buried with numerous other things I'd make another batch of mine (right gauge wire and tested for tension). :/

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk
Broken Photobucket image in my post? PM me.
'86 GW "Troubled Child" tc.wagoneer.org
360, TBI, 4" Skyjacker, 33" BFG MTs, WT D44+ARB, WT AMC20 + LockRight, CB 2m 6m 70cm, K0FSJ
The world's first Robotic Full Size Jeep!

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Where are they located im still confused. Is this for the door lock ?

Topic author
custom76

Post by custom76 »

candymancan wrote:Where are they located im still confused. Is this for the door lock ?

It is the spring at the top left of this pic, no it has nothing to do with the lock that I can tell

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Topic author
custom76

Post by custom76 »

ShagWagon wrote:Bjs sells them but they too thick for my 87 I was hoping that thy would wear down some but they haven't and I'llprobably have to remove them because they too stiff and will most likely wear out my actuators.
BJ has the door lock spring, but not this one that I could find on their site

ShagWagon

Post by ShagWagon »

Ok I was wrong I'm talking about the one on the bottom right on the latch there. It's sandwiched between levers. You can see it if you look hard. It's for the lock mech.

Mine didn't have the one your talking about. It looks like a return spring.
87 Grand Wagoneer Rebuilt 360 by S&J, Fitech GO EFI 600, Novak in-tank fuel pump, Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift, BFG AT KO2 30", Dynamax Muffler, MSD distributor, MSD ignition, Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake, Elgin perf cam, Oil tube mod, Roller rockers, chrome molly lifters, HD alum radiator, Powermaster 150/100 alt, Alum HD water pump, Serhills tailgate harness, Cowl screen mod, Evil Twin grab handles, Rstep's custom AMC door lock knobs, all electrical works.

ShagWagon

Post by ShagWagon »

shimniok wrote:I used to sell these. If I wasn't buried with numerous other things I'd make another batch of mine (right gauge wire and tested for tension). :/

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk
Please hit me up if you do. Or have any more lying around. The ones I ordered from BJ are too thick and won't move with actuator. I was hoping they'd wear down some but they haven't. Can't be good for my actuators.

HeavyIron

Post by HeavyIron »

Has anyone been able to come up with a solution or a work around for this return spring?
68 J2000

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Lowes sells springs that look alot like this.. have you tried checking out lowes where sell the nails and screws ? Wouldnt hurt to try.

My solution for your too tough of a spring would be to stretch the spring out by hand on a coil or two thattll probly work