drip rails are they just covered with plastic ?

Area for General FSJ related chat.

PaulD

Re: drip rails are they just covered with plastic ?

Post by PaulD »

Are the corner elbows the same for the old SS as well as the later plastic covered rail? Will my current elbows fit the older SS pieces or do I need the corner elbows to match the SS version?

dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

He stated the older stainless stuff is a different size, so you will need to snag the appropriate elbows when you get it.

The aluminum kit I bought is the same size as the later plastic covers. I used my elbows.
84 Grand Waggy-Radio Flyer (Garnet Red/3M Ebony Metallic woodgrain, with honey interior) AMC 360 :cry: 2004 4.8LS/Advance Adapter/727/242 D44/AMC20 Serehill tailgate and headlight harnesses :fsj: Ongoing thread-viewtopic.php?t=11897

92 Wrangler Islander 4.0/32RH/231 D30/D35 RHD

Topic author
candymancan

Post by candymancan »

The stainless rails are thinner, not as thick or tall. Thr elbows were way bigger on the plastic rails vs stainless.

Ill take a pic to show you. They wouldnt fit at all if you try to use your plastic rail elbows they will fall right off unless you glue them on.

look at my pic of the two peices side by side. You can see how much larger the yellow plastic rail is
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

Topic author
candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Here are pics, you can see its much bigger. Its even bigger when sitting on top of the new elbows lol

ArchitectJS

Post by ArchitectJS »

I swear one of the SJ resto sites offers replacement rail trims...
Tried to find it. Cant't. I'll go back to sleep now.
1982 Cherokee, base (Bumppo)
AMC 258 / A727 - AMC 20 / NP208
Holley Sniper with Hyperspark
3" Rough County Lift

dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

ArchitectJS wrote:I swear one of the SJ resto sites offers replacement rail trims...
Wagoneers West. That is where I purchased mine.
84 Grand Waggy-Radio Flyer (Garnet Red/3M Ebony Metallic woodgrain, with honey interior) AMC 360 :cry: 2004 4.8LS/Advance Adapter/727/242 D44/AMC20 Serehill tailgate and headlight harnesses :fsj: Ongoing thread-viewtopic.php?t=11897

ArchitectJS

Post by ArchitectJS »

dodgerammit wrote:
ArchitectJS wrote:I swear one of the SJ resto sites offers replacement rail trims...
Nailed it!

http://wagoneerswest.simdif.com/new-used-parts.html

Polished aluminum, no plastic door edge crap.
1982 Cherokee, base (Bumppo)
AMC 258 / A727 - AMC 20 / NP208
Holley Sniper with Hyperspark
3" Rough County Lift

dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

ArchitectJS wrote:
dodgerammit wrote:
Nailed it!

http://wagoneerswest.simdif.com/new-used-parts.html

Polished aluminum, no plastic door edge crap.
The drip rails, yes, but the part that goes around the rear window is still door edge crap... :(

I need to hit that local junkyard that has an early 70's Waggy and see what is available....

mhubbard

Post by mhubbard »

I'd like to kick start this old thread because I have noticed that underneath my '89 GW's cracked/cracking tired plastic drip rails lie what appears to be very nice virgin stainless trim. Is it a good idea to chip off the plastic? I can't seem to divine a definitive answer from reading the 2017 entries in this thread - unless I missed something.

By the way, don't mean to brag... but I did manage to find a very nice rear window trim surround last year (maybe off of a late 60s Super Wag) at Jake's yard in the NC mountains. What a neat and knowledgeable fella... he even drilled out the rivets for me.

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

Under the plastic is a thin layer of aluminum. Prolly won't hold up very long.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

mhubbard

Post by mhubbard »

Thanks for setting me straight on that. I love a good hunt!

mhubbard

Post by mhubbard »

And as if by magic, the FSJ gods smiled on my yesterday afternoon as I made a trip through the NC countryside.... I found a pretty rusted out 70s Cherokee Chief with a complete set of stainless drip rails sitting out in front of a junk yard in the middle of nowhere!!! I called the proprietor up this AM and he told me to come on out and get 'em. As for price, he didn't quote me anything but assured me that he "wouldn't rob" me. I guess I should feel comforted??

Chubbinius

Post by Chubbinius »

mhubbard wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:43 am And as if by magic, the FSJ gods smiled on my yesterday afternoon as I made a trip through the NC countryside.... I found a pretty rusted out 70s Cherokee Chief with a complete set of stainless drip rails sitting out in front of a junk yard in the middle of nowhere!!! I called the proprietor up this AM and he told me to come on out and get 'em. As for price, he didn't quote me anything but assured me that he "wouldn't rob" me. I guess I should feel comforted??
That's pretty cool! Hope the price was good!
1970 1414X Wagoneer "The Pig"
-Custom Special
-Dauntless 350 V8
-D27 front/D44 rear
2006 XK (65th Ann Edition)-DD

mhubbard

Post by mhubbard »

since it is about an hour or so from where I live, I plan on fetching them next Monday (day off). I will be sure to let you know if I got the deal of the century or if I got hosed.

Chubbinius

Post by Chubbinius »

Cool, best of luck! Fingers crossed for you!
1970 1414X Wagoneer "The Pig"
-Custom Special
-Dauntless 350 V8
-D27 front/D44 rear
2006 XK (65th Ann Edition)-DD

Topic author
candymancan

Post by candymancan »

If you do go make sure you get that old fashioned bottle opener in my pictures.. they sell em at ace hardware... put some tape on em snd pry from the corners to the middle of the rail... gently.. dont force it... and dont use a damn screw driver.. itll dent the trim.. trust me lol.

I hope you get a deal like i did.. my first set i based this thread on i bought for like 10$.. and 10$ for the rear window peice. The 2nd set i got for like 10$ as well.. the salvage yard just saw it as trim and didnt care much...

I actually found the 2nd set of stainless rails on a 82 cherokee 2 door.. and i sold them to a guy for 300$ lol. They go for alot...

Odd thing about that 82 cherokee was it had stainless rails.. but a plastic rear window trim... interesting

mhubbard

Post by mhubbard »

Picked them up - well sort of - I was able to get the long roof rails off using the bottle opener method; however, the a-pillar pieces seemed really fused to the steel beneath them. I think i’ll Have to go back for penetrating oil or something to encourage them apart.

Oh yeah, my deal wasn’t as good - 40 for the two long rails plus corner pieces. I’m happy tho as these aren’t necessarily growing on trees!!

Although the pieces aren’t “perfect”... i’m Absolutely thrilled with them!