Starter Relay Issues

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
mackthomas

Starter Relay Issues

Post by mackthomas »

So I have replaced my starter relay on my 91 grand wagoneer to update parts for it to run better. So I replaced the old relay. I rewired it to proper specs. My problem now is that my starter motor is constantly running. It seems like the starter peg is receiving 12v constantly. When I remove the ground from the ground post the starter post drops from 12v to 0v.

So my question is do I have a malfunctioning relay? Is there a fuse that could be causing my ground to continue to pull 12v to the starter? Finally, am I asking the wrong questions?

I have read many things on the internet, but feel I will get a better answer here.

If I need more info let me know.

Thanks

lkmarsh

Re: Starter Relay Issues

Post by lkmarsh »

Without a wiring diagram you are begging for this kind of headache. Sounds like you have ignition connected to the starter, not the start switch. Not sure of the ground lug, but that may need to be connected to the neutral safety switch. If you are not the original owner,
no telling what hacking the wiring has suffered. First thing, find the factory service manual, or at the very least a factory wiring diagram. The damage PO's can do with wire cutters is beyond belief.
Lyle
69 1414x Buick350/Th400/D20
PDB, HEI, relays, rallyes, rhino, rust...
73 Wagoneer parts donor

HowardT64

Post by HowardT64 »

Tom OL'Jeep Collins is your best bet for the diagrams :)
2016 Jeep Patriot
"Faith"

lkmarsh

Post by lkmarsh »

Had a similar problem this weekend, new relay would not work at all. The small lug for the start switch wire was directly connected
internally to the battery post, and needed to be grounded to activate the relay. If you have this relay and the start wire is normally
grounded, that's a problem. Voltmeter is a definite necessity for this sort of problem.
Lyle
69 1414x Buick350/Th400/D20
PDB, HEI, relays, rallyes, rhino, rust...
73 Wagoneer parts donor

deckroid

Post by deckroid »

I did the EXACT same thing. Seems the PO did some hack n slashing with wiring. I put it all back together and the starter wouldn't stop. I didn't know what it was, so I replaced the starter, solenoid, ignition mod and starter switch. After futzing about, when I turned the key to start, nothing. I had windows going up and down, I had blinkers and I had radio. Messing about with the wiring I got it to start but then no windows, blinkers or radio. Aaaaarrrrgggg!!!! It's at the local shop now. The guys there are laughing at the wiring mess.

Deep down I know it's bound to be just one small wire touching another or not connected. It's always the little things that kill me.
1984 Grand Wagoneer. V8 360 stock. Mostly original. Repainted 2018 with original Nordic Green Metallic (Flake).

Topic author
mackthomas

Post by mackthomas »

Update:

So I was messing around with the starter relay. I received a warranty replacement for my relay. I connected the wiring back to the relay and learned some things. I attached my black wire leading back to the cab to the Ground. I learned that the black wire needs to be attached to the ground terminal post to activate the power. The next post to the ground is the ignition and I have a green and black wire attached to that post. The middle post on the relay has SOL I have attached a lime green wire that goes down to the starter solenoid. Final post is for the fuel pump. There is a terminal pole has a connection with the battery, red and black alternator cable, and the back the back cable to the alternator.

So when I start it with this config the starter motor continuously runs and my alternator has trouble getting over 13v. When it is started and the solenoid cable is removed the starter motor stops and the alternator charges the battery. With my volt meter the tab on the relay is still showing 12v. When I disconnect the ground from the terminal the black wire the Solenoid tab does not have any power and the ground still has 12v. I check the wire and the wire shows no voltage.

I have talked to a couple of people more mechanically inclined than I am and it has them stumped. I feel like I am missing something. Pictures are below, and feel free to ask more questions.

Thomas
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.