Electric Fuel pump?

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
HowardT64

Electric Fuel pump?

Post by HowardT64 »

What kind of a cost would I be looking at to convert from a mechanical to an electrical fuel pump? Is it a really involved process? My mind is telling me it shouldnt be but then again I don't know all there is about Jeeps :)
2016 Jeep Patriot
"Faith"

will e

Re: Electric Fuel pump?

Post by will e »

If you are running a carb something like this will work:

http://www.jegs.com/i/Mr.-Gasket/720/12 ... 8cQAvD_BwE

You'll want to wire it with a relay and fuse. Also, it's not a bad idea to get a switch that will kill the fuel pump if there is no oil pressure. Something like this:

https://www.holley.com/products/fuel_sy ... nsQAvD_BwE

I use the above electric fuel pump. I carry a spare and have used my spare. Easy to swap out on the trail.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Topic author
HowardT64

Post by HowardT64 »

So about 70 bucks and I am good to go...not bad :) Thanks :)
2016 Jeep Patriot
"Faith"

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

There's two ways to go. You can run an in-line pump like will e, or you can run an in-tank pump. In-line pumps are way easier to install and replace in the field, but in-tank pumps are more reliable and durable. I have no strong feelings either way, but opted to modify a Chevy in-tank pump to match my Chevy based fuel injection. In-tank pumps don't loose their prime or over heat because they are submerged in fuel all the time. As will e knows, in line pumps may lose prime or overheat, but you don't need to drain the gas and drop the tank if it does burn up.

Again, I have no strong feelings about one or the other. Your rig is nice enough to justify going full Monty with an in-tank, but since it's toughest duty is hauling boy scouts, I think an in-line is up to muster.
79 J-10 (Honcho Mucho) KE0LSU
304/Performance Fuel Injection TBI/MTA1/SP2P/Magnum rockers
T18/D20/D44s&4.10s/33" Mud Claws
Grizzly Locker Rear
4" front spring drop, 5" rear shackle flip
Chevy style HEI (ECM controlled)
Dolphin "Shark" gauges in a fancy homemade oak bezel
3/4 resto, rotting faster than I've been fixing it.

dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

I run an in tank on mine.
84 Grand Waggy-Radio Flyer (Garnet Red/3M Ebony Metallic woodgrain, with honey interior) AMC 360 :cry: 2004 4.8LS/Advance Adapter/727/242 D44/AMC20 Serehill tailgate and headlight harnesses :fsj: Ongoing thread-viewtopic.php?t=11897

92 Wrangler Islander 4.0/32RH/231 D30/D35 RHD

will e

Post by will e »

It would be a pain to swap out an in tank (edited for clarity). There is a big tire over the access panel:

Even trouble shooting it would be a major hassle. But yeah, it probably would last longer.
Last edited by will e on Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

Mikie, me cornfused. You mean in-tank pump? Maybe I am not reading that right because I was hit in the head with a jack once. ;)
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

will e

Post by will e »

fulsizjeep wrote:Mikie, me cornfused. You mean in-tank pump? Maybe I am not reading that right because I was hit in the head with a jack once. ;)
Yeah, I wrote it wrong and just corrected it. In tank, in line, 220, 221 whatever it takes!

Lumpskie

Post by Lumpskie »

FWIW: I run an inline electric pump. I currently run a Holley red pump but have run the Airtex in the past. Based on my experience, I would invest in a quality pump, if you are running inline. I had 2 Airtex pumps go bad on me. Each one lasted about a year. After that, I installed the Holley and haven't yet had an issue. The Holley is rated to flow more fuel at a higher pressure. I suspect that it being "overbuilt" for my application means that it will last longer. Only time will tell.
1989 Grand Wagoneer - Rebuilt 360, 2" Alcans, 10" travel Gabriel Guadian shocks.
1996 Land Cruiser - 1HD-T Diesel, Gturbo (23psi), Wholesale Automatics 442f, F/R ARBs, 35" Duratracs, ARB Rear Bumper, OME 2" lift, home built sliders and aluminum belly skid
2000 Honda Civic - Integra GSR engine, transmission, shift linkage and axles, 200hp, 33 combined mpg
2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 9 - 437hp/447ft-lb

Gumby

Post by Gumby »

I just finally did the swap after years of prep. I installed a revolution electronics switch and an old red top pump. Works well, pump is loud but it's flowing. My Carter mechanical kicked the bucket after several years so I had no excuses not to go electric.
1984 GW 360/727/208.... 4"/ 31"
2004 CRD QC SRW 3500 4X4 (DD)
1983 "project Dubya" (long term)

Topic author
HowardT64

Post by HowardT64 »

All this input, m akes me think I may just do this :)
2016 Jeep Patriot
"Faith"

letank

Post by letank »

Gumby wrote: <SNIP> Works well, pump is loud but it's flowing
Electric too here on both rigs, carter P4070, a bit more $$, $65 at summit plus shipping. As for noise, I installed it on the frame it is very quiet, the carter comes with an isolation bracket with rubber donuts.

Supposedly the pump has to be installed closer to the gas tank, but space is limited in the back with the carter P4070 -it sits upright-

check my stuff:

in the chapter below fuel and brake lines
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

I run cheap inline electric fuel pumps on all of them. Because I'm cheap. Got rid of the last manual pump in 2008. Adios
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

fxtechphx

Post by fxtechphx »

I am running a in-tank pump and relay connected to a switch inside. Between the pump and relay it was about $100. I was running a Holley Red Top but it went bad and was out of warranty. I use a cheap pump from Advance Auto. I would suggest using a fuel pressure gauge also.
Tomorrow we may face destiny, we may fight and die and fall to the fires of perdition, but tonight is ours, and we drink and make merry.

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

I have a Holley Redtop and a Holley Mitymite. I use a relay and run a ground from the battery to the pump--at the pump the grounds tie to the frame. Im curious to see which of the two Holleys last the longest. The Redtop is on 3 years now and the MM is 2 months.

letank

Post by letank »

forgot to mention, that no relay and no oil pressure switch for both rigs. The pump seem to last about 10 years, mileage or hour of operation should be the data to use, but who has an hour meter... and we have that California toxic gas with additive to make the engine run cleaner... but the engines are burning about 12% more gas...
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

kansasboy001

Post by kansasboy001 »

Just an FYI the new carter's made in the last year or so are made much cheaper than they used to be. Made from Taiwan parts and only assembled in the USA. Had 2 go on me in a month
1983 Cherokee Laredo. 360/ 727/ np228/ Junkyard 7427 TBI/ Msd ignition

ShagWagon

Post by ShagWagon »

Novak sells a drop in in-tank Delphi that's good to go with new sending unit. $234 if I recall for a hi pressure unit.

You can build your own for about $100 or less if your low pressure.
87 Grand Wagoneer Rebuilt 360 by S&J, Fitech GO EFI 600, Novak in-tank fuel pump, Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift, BFG AT KO2 30", Dynamax Muffler, MSD distributor, MSD ignition, Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake, Elgin perf cam, Oil tube mod, Roller rockers, chrome molly lifters, HD alum radiator, Powermaster 150/100 alt, Alum HD water pump, Serhills tailgate harness, Cowl screen mod, Evil Twin grab handles, Rstep's custom AMC door lock knobs, all electrical works.

ghcoe

Post by ghcoe »

I am using a Precision from O'reilly Auto Parts. Basically a Carter P4070. https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/prec ... +fuel+pump

I purchased a Holley Red and was quite disappointed in it. Noise and failed 12 months in. The Precision is much quieter, cheaper, has a lifetime warranty and is stocked in O'reilly stores in case I actually needed one. The Carter/Precision design runs fuel through the motor to keep it cool.
SW Idaho Overlanding Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SWIdahoOverlan ... page_panel
SW Idaho Overlanding Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYuRx2 ... wVwZJ5oztg
1977 Jeep Cherokee WT
All-Terrain T/A® KO2
Safari Kit
Factory Brush Guard
Factory Tire Carrier
Custom Roof Rack

Topic author
HowardT64

Post by HowardT64 »

Ill have to put this on the back burner for now.....got a couple of other things to do first :)
2016 Jeep Patriot
"Faith"