New carb and manifold or efi?

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
mahoganysnow

New carb and manifold or efi?

Post by mahoganysnow »

I have an 83 Cherokee with a 77 AMC360. I know the engine was bored 30 and I think there is a performance cam in there too. All work done before I got her. Still has stock manifold with a Holley carb. I’ve run into fueling issues, idle won’t settle down and runs rough at start up then a high idle after warming up a little. Cleaned gunk off linkage already and I was going to swap out fuel filter and rebuild carb but since someone else worked on her before me I was wondering if I should just get a new Edelbrock carb and manifold but am now thinking maybe go efi? Or EGR or non EGR manifold? Looks like some of the emissions crap was deleted as there are a couple lines that are sealed off coming off the manifold but I’m just guessing. Will get some pics on here if needed. Any thoughts or advice appreciated. Hoping to get this all done myself but it’s kinda cold out to be out there fumbling around scratching my head. Thanks.

rocklaurence
Vendor

Re: New carb and manifold or efi?

Post by rocklaurence »

Go with an Edelbrock intake and EFI, if you can afford it. Or the Summit/Street Demon carbs are good for street use. A Holley Truck Avenger for offroad.

ShagWagon

Post by ShagWagon »

I'd stick a holly sniper or a fitech on there and let the computer O2 sensor deal with it.

I can't remember which one, but they just put out one for a 2bbl intake so there would be no intake needed.
87 Grand Wagoneer Rebuilt 360 by S&J, Fitech GO EFI 600, Novak in-tank fuel pump, Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift, BFG AT KO2 30", Dynamax Muffler, MSD distributor, MSD ignition, Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake, Elgin perf cam, Oil tube mod, Roller rockers, chrome molly lifters, HD alum radiator, Powermaster 150/100 alt, Alum HD water pump, Serhills tailgate harness, Cowl screen mod, Evil Twin grab handles, Rstep's custom AMC door lock knobs, all electrical works.

FSJ Guy

Post by FSJ Guy »

There are some really great (mostly) turnkey EFI solutions that even offer timing control right out of the box.

If you can install a radio, you can install an EFI system. Some even offer a "no weld" O2 sensor option, but it's easy to ask your local muffler shop to weld an O2 bung for you and there are less chance of leaks that way.
Ethan Brady

http://www.bigscaryjeep.com

Jeepless, but I still have a lots of old parts in my garage!

KJ Ryu

Post by KJ Ryu »

Sniper EFI. They have a 2300 style 2bbl that would bolt on in an afternoon.
Ron

2005 KJ, Hit-n-Run, 2am 6-17-2012, Totaled. :mad:
1977 SJ J10, 4v360, T18, D20, 37x14s, SOA & SF on tons, still ugly.
1978 SJ Wagoneer, 4v360, QT, 33x12.5s, lift by Sawzall :-bd NOT Running :(
1977 SJ J10, SniperEFI 401, QT, D44s, 31X10.5s :fsj:
2006 KJ
Mars wrote:One man's trans leak is another's penetrating oil :D