Team Grand Wagoneer Seat Belts

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
mx71

Team Grand Wagoneer Seat Belts

Post by mx71 »

Anyone get these? I ordered a complete set for front and rear. They were a day late from the longest time TGW claims they take, but whatever, they're here.

The driver's/passenger's aren't at all the same. The factory ones in my 79 had dual retractors, and these ones only have one that doesn't work very well. Anyone else install these? I'm game to make them work, even though TGW also didn't include any hardware or instructions like TGW claimed they would and make it the last time I ever deal with them, but I need to know how they expect them to go in.

SJTD

Re: Team Grand Wagoneer Seat Belts

Post by SJTD »

You have piqued my interest. Dual retractors? What's that?

My '84 has the retractor at the bottom of the pillar. Where is the second on yours?
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Topic author
mx71

Post by mx71 »

My originals have a retractor on the floor and another on the pillar.

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

maybe a 79 is different but every wagoneer ive seen and the 81 cherokee chief i found had only 1 retractor on the bottom of the floor ?

you got a pic of your duel one ?
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

Topic author
mx71

Post by mx71 »

Topic author
mx71

Post by mx71 »

Can you send me a picture of how yours is mounted? I thought later retractors were mounted on the pillar, not the floor. These belts didn't come with instructions.

letank

Post by letank »

here we go on the 85 mounted on the B pillar

Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

FSJ Paul

Post by FSJ Paul »

Hi, I wanted to follow up and see how your seat belts turned out. I have a 78 with the dual retractors in the front too. I’m missing several pieces and the pieces that I do have are pretty much toast. I’m debating whether it’s better to to try and find replacements from the junkyard and sew in new webbing or just get the replacement kit from team grand wagoner. Any advice?

Thanks,
Paul
Paul
1978 Wide Track Cherokee - work in progress
1976 Cherokee S - sold long ago and sorely missed
1989 Wrangler - not sorely missed.

Topic author
mx71

Post by mx71 »

They're terrible. Don't buy them. You have to pull them out very slowly or they get stuck, and the buckle isn't in the right spot due to where the retractor is when you take it off. Also, the spring in one of them has already failed.

I would definitely buy brand new seat belts, but don't get the ones from TGW. Go to a universal seat belt. IIRC, TGW uses seatbelt solutions, so avoid them.

Xplitive

Post by Xplitive »

Been looking at a set from seatbeltplanet.com.
Installed a set in an elderly neighbor’s old mustang and the company responded to questions I had which is a bonus in my book.
Erik
1989 GW, 31s on rancho front and general spring rear

Bigbadjeep

Post by Bigbadjeep »

You guys need to contact j&w jeep. It's a yard in California, I messaged them, looking for seatbelts for my 84 j10. Sent a pic of mine, got the same back. And some bezel for the wiper switch. A lot of hard to get parts.
1984 J10
360, 727, Amc20, 44 Up front
Thorly tri Y, Edelbrock Manifold, Cam, and Carb
Skyjacker 4" Softride, 35×12.50 BFG Mud

dbabicky

Post by dbabicky »

I'll stick with the basic lap belts in my 1975 J-10. LOL !!!

1979bettywhite

Post by 1979bettywhite »

I have belts from seatbeltplanet. The problem you are experiencing I think will be somewhat the norm for all aftermarket belts. They are mandated to have that functionality per the DOT. Mine are the same. Have to pull on them slowly when buckling, or they will catch instantly. I talked with seatbeltplanet about it and that was the answer I received. Nothing they could do about it. Not saying that in a bad customer service way, that is just the way they have to make them. They were very nice and responsive in customer service.

FSJ Paul

Post by FSJ Paul »

mx71 wrote:They're terrible. Don't buy them. You have to pull them out very slowly or they get stuck, and the buckle isn't in the right spot due to where the retractor is when you take it off. Also, the spring in one of them has already failed.

I would definitely buy brand new seat belts, but don't get the ones from TGW. Go to a universal seat belt. IIRC, TGW uses seatbelt solutions, so avoid them.
Thanks - great advice!

I went and talked to the guys at seatbeltsplus. They have a lot of options but nothing that will work for my Jeep with the duel retractors. Also, I would need to modify the rear retractors to fit properly.

I called j&w. They have a bunch of stuff, but no seatbelts at the moment. Luckily I found some on Craigslist but they are burgundy and I need blue - so I’m going to try painting them with a vinyl dye. I hope it works. Anyone have success with painting plastic/ vinyl?
Paul

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

Dye on the webbing? I don't think a dye will make burgundy blue. I think I'd go for black in your place.

I think the plastic around the rollers is polyethylene or polypropylene and dye won't touch it and paint won't stick.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

SOLSAKS

Post by SOLSAKS »

the housings for the belts, take vinyl dye great, I have done it.
using SEM or reputal brand
clean well first.
do it in the sun when they are warm, works better\
light coats is the key.

belts will take dye, but it is not recommended, it has an effect on the material
and then they are not as safe, and old belts are not safe anyway, they dry rot
and are not as strong.

some companies will re-web your retractors and service the moving parts
look on the net long snuff and you will find the company that does this
(snake oil products used to do it,....seat belt planet is a good co. too)

your first mistake was buying form the company with 3 initials......
BUY FROM BJS OFFROAD FROM NOW ON OR ANYONE AND I MEAN ANYONE ELSE BUT YOUR FIRST CHOICE.

DAVE in NC :)

FSJ Paul

Post by FSJ Paul »

All fantastic advice - thanks guys!

I found a few places on the internet that will replace webbing and tune up the mechanicals. Oddly they are all in the same town in Massachusetts. Maybe the same company?? I’m a bit suspicious of anyplace that has several different names and websites but the same address. Anyone have experience with:
Safetyrestore.com
Seatbeltrepair.com
Seatbeltrepairservice.com

Thanks,
Paul
Paul