New FSJ owner

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
Snakers79

New FSJ owner

Post by Snakers79 »

Hey Everyone,

Just wanted to introduce myself as a new-to-me 84' J10 owner. I picked her up a couple of weeks ago and have been lurking here since. I've included an imgur link at the bottom for a couple of pics. There is a lot of great info here, it will make my life a bit easier.

My mechanic looked her over and the truck will need e-break cables, the front grill plate (muscle style I think), An aspirator tube (not sure what this is), Wheel Cylinders, cab mount bushings, and a muffler. Is there any preferred places for sourcing parts, besides ebay?

https://imgur.com/gallery/vBAprZw

HowardT64

Re: New FSJ owner

Post by HowardT64 »

Welcome :) Hey thats a nice truck :) Looks in decent shape too. The suspension looks like mine, a bit worn :)
2016 Jeep Patriot
"Faith"

will e

Post by will e »

Howdy from Phoenix. I am not sure what an aspirator tube is either. I looked it up on Wikipedia. I don't see how this applies to our trucks.

bjsoffroad.com has a plethora of parts. Auto part store also carry much of what our trucks need. Wheel Cylinders, for example, are available at most auto parts store.

Are you interested in doing some of the wrench turning yourself? Part of the 'fun' can be doing some of the fix'n that these old rigs need. Sure there is a blood and sweat tax but this is balanced by the problem solving that flexes the brain.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Topic author
Snakers79

Post by Snakers79 »

Thanks for the warm welcome.

HowardT64 - yeah, the suspension is in rough shape. This is one of those 'eventual' projects. I have my hands full getting it road worthy.

Will e - I plan on doing some, if not all, of the wrench turning myself. I might bring her into the shop for the axle seals and the cab mount bushings as these jobs seem daunting. I'll have to weigh the costs. My wallet and my wife both have their limits.

HowardT64

Post by HowardT64 »

Snakers79 wrote:Thanks for the warm welcome.

HowardT64 - yeah, the suspension is in rough shape. This is one of those 'eventual' projects. I have my hands full getting it road worthy.

Will e - I plan on doing some, if not all, of the wrench turning myself. I might bring her into the shop for the axle seals and the cab mount bushings as these jobs seem daunting. I'll have to weigh the costs. My wallet and my wife both have their limits.

Do like I have...a bit at a time :)
2016 Jeep Patriot
"Faith"

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

Welcome to the network. That looks like a trusty truck after a few things. Brakes are important. Those muscle grilles came in 3 colors, grey, black and chrome. You can probably source one in the wanted section here. Another thought is the Grand Wagoneer grille insert also fits that grille frame if you are not that particular. Good luck with your projects. Plenty of folks here have a wide variety of experience to call on.
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

Topic author
Snakers79

Post by Snakers79 »

fulsizjeep wrote:Another thought is the Grand Wagoneer grille insert also fits that grille frame if you are not that particular. Good luck with your projects.
Will an 89' wagoneer's grille insert fit? I've found a possible replacement on Ebay. Thanks for the help!

https://m.ebay.com/itm/1989-Jeep-Wagone ... 4335.l8656

letank

Post by letank »

welcome to the asylum, that grille insert looks like a xj grille insert, there were wagoneer branded xjs ... as for the aspirator tube... either a stove pipe to help in warm up, it is in the air filter intake, or air manifolds pipis on the exhaust manifolds.
you can add rockauto.com for parts being careful about year specific items....
check ammeter bypass post
and download tsm for toms oljeep.com site

check this grille insert

https://m.ebay.com/itm/Jeep-GRAND-WAGON ... 4335.l8656
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

will e

Post by will e »

Snakers79 wrote: Will e - I plan on doing some, if not all, of the wrench turning myself. I might bring her into the shop for the axle seals and the cab mount bushings as these jobs seem daunting. I'll have to weigh the costs. My wallet and my wife both have their limits.
That's me! I do a bunch of the wrenching myself but at times I just don't have the ability to get'r done!
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge