Airco wire, what is this for?

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
wag86

Airco wire, what is this for?

Post by wag86 »

While struggling with my airco i stumbled across this cable, seems to be stuck under or connected to the condenser? Any ideas are welcome! The connector was/is not connected..
IMG_20180913_191116229.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

1979bettywhite

Re: Airco wire, what is this for?

Post by 1979bettywhite »

That plug there looks eerily similar to the factory speaker plugs. See if you another wire that looks like that coming from your passenger speaker. May have to remove the door panel as the other end may be run through the door hinge and be stuck in no mans land between the fender and the interior of the jeep.

And that is your evaporator core in the picture. The condenser is mounted in front of your radiator behind the grill. Inside the A/C under dash box, the only wire running in there should be for the blower motor. Only other thing that goes in that area is the thermostat probe from the temperature control knob. But that is a small copper tube filled with gas that fits in between the fins of the evaporator core.

Topic author
wag86

Post by wag86 »

Thanks for your quick reply bettywhite. I'm sure this cable is not for the speakers. these are all connected properly. And you're right about this piece being the evaporator (being dutch i still struggle with some words..) I even have a speaker like cable end lying in the the plastic evaporator casing that ends in some insulation. But the pictured cable seems to start under the evaporator and ends in the plug. I'll further investigate and probably cut them off.

1979bettywhite

Post by 1979bettywhite »

No problem. It is just two wires. And everything I know of in the A/C box just requires a single 12V source. Although the blower motor does require grounding. My speaker plugs resemble that wire. But from where you have the box now, as long as you have enough slack in the a/c lines, you should be able to pull the evaporator core out enough to get access to where that wire goes etc. I don't think I would just cut them off before determining where they went.

kansasboy001

Post by kansasboy001 »

That is for the thermoresistor in the evaporator core. There should be a matching plug in the harness that it plugs into.
1983 Cherokee Laredo. 360/ 727/ np228/ Junkyard 7427 TBI/ Msd ignition

Topic author
wag86

Post by wag86 »

Thanks Kansasboy, that helps! i got the probe out and i do have 'the other end" but that one seems to be professionally decommisioned , see attached picture. My gutfeeling says don't touch . I took a look at the wireloom and according to the schematics and wire colors i am supposed to have an 85 airco system ( it was installed nov 27, 1985 ) , the 86 schematic does show the thermoresitor. Do i have a 85,5 airco system or sloppy AMC ?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

kansasboy001

Post by kansasboy001 »

All of the ac systems have thr thermoresistor thats how it detects temp to cycle the compressor. Do you have dealer or factory air?

Topic author
wag86

Post by wag86 »

I' m sure it's factory given the fact that all of the production dates on various parts of the car are nov '85 with the specific date of nov 27 for the airco. I measured both probe ends. The one connected actually measured resitance which i could change with heat. The one lying on the Floor ( see pic) i guess is defective ( no resitance or reaction to heat) and i think was replaced in the past but not removed. I have changed the dryer, cut of switch and the expansion valve. I' ll have the system filled later this week and hope it will be on its feet.

kansasboy001

Post by kansasboy001 »

Someone probally put in a new temp probe and left the old one in and just cut the wire