80 J20 gas tank

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
XSapper

80 J20 gas tank

Post by XSapper »

I have a 80 J20 that someone put a flatbed on with a small aluminum gas tank (10 gallons) on top of the flatbed and would like to put a tank underneath and do away with that small tank. would a later model tank with an internal pump make too much pressure for a carb equipped engine? Lookin for junkyard tanks that I could use.

tedlovesjeeps71

Re: 80 J20 gas tank

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

Maybe someone can confirm but I'd think a suburban tank fits?? Much more capacity and are available for carbs or injected motors.

tedlovesjeeps71

Maybe someone can confirm but I'd think a suburban tank fits?? Much more capacity and are available for carbs or injected motors.

Topic author
XSapper

Post by XSapper »

I'll have to look into the suburban tank. A guy has a YJ tank with internal pump for cheap, but the only place it will fit is in the rear where the spare originally was.

tedlovesjeeps71

XSapper wrote:I'll have to look into the suburban tank. A guy has a YJ tank with internal pump for cheap, but the only place it will fit is in the rear where the spare originally was.
A YJ tank would only be 20 gallon at best. AMC motors are inherently thirsty beasties. Also, I think any desireENT sized tank will go where the spare is, suburban included.

Topic author
XSapper

Post by XSapper »

tedlovesjeeps71 wrote:
XSapper wrote:I'll have to look into the suburban tank. A guy has a YJ tank with internal pump for cheap, but the only place it will fit is in the rear where the spare originally was.
A YJ tank would only be 20 gallon at best. AMC motors are inherently thirsty beasties. Also, I think any desireENT sized tank will go where the spare is, suburban included.
Yes, the YJ tank is a twenty gallon tank with an in tank fuel pump.

ghcoe

Post by ghcoe »

This place sells tanks https://www.gastankdepot.com/jeep-gas-tanks.html. They have dimensions listed in the descriptions which might help. There is a place that has poly tanks, but I could not find it right off. Usually internal tank pumps are high pressure 50psi+.
SW Idaho Overlanding Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SWIdahoOverlan ... page_panel
SW Idaho Overlanding Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYuRx2 ... wVwZJ5oztg
1977 Jeep Cherokee WT
All-Terrain T/A® KO2
Safari Kit
Factory Brush Guard
Factory Tire Carrier
Custom Roof Rack