New FSJ owner

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
kep01

New FSJ owner

Post by kep01 »

Hello all I just bought my first FSJ this week, it has the complete running gear from a military blazer. 6.2 diesel, 400 turbo and half ton axles. Runs great and drives like a dream. But I need to completely redo the interior and while I’m at it I want to replace a few things. I need to locate a book or diagram for the wiring harness and then I’d like to replace it.
66732F12-0409-4EF7-9D87-605B771CF335-3313-00000268BB6FB97B.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author
kep01

Re: New FSJ owner

Post by kep01 »

Any information that would help would be great. The previous owner has a few hot wires just hanging from the dash that I traced and disconnected to prevent a fire. So I’m positive that I want to replace the wiring harness. Does anyone make one?

Topic author
kep01

Post by kep01 »

Any information that would help would be great. The previous owner has a few hot wires just hanging from the dash that I traced and disconnected to prevent a fire. So I’m positive that I want to replace the wiring harness. Does anyone make one?

dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

Well, given it has a transplanted drivetrain, you're probably not going to find a harness that will be plug and play. Painless (and possibly others) make a universal harness. Are you in TN? That Waggy seems familiar as far as local ads go.
84 Grand Waggy-Radio Flyer (Garnet Red/3M Ebony Metallic woodgrain, with honey interior) AMC 360 :cry: 2004 4.8LS/Advance Adapter/727/242 D44/AMC20 Serehill tailgate and headlight harnesses :fsj: Ongoing thread-viewtopic.php?t=11897

92 Wrangler Islander 4.0/32RH/231 D30/D35 RHD

Topic author
kep01

Post by kep01 »

dodgerammit wrote:Well, given it has a transplanted drivetrain, you're probably not going to find a harness that will be plug and play. Painless (and possibly others) make a universal harness. Are you in TN? That Waggy seems familiar as far as local ads go.
Yes I’m in Tennessee. It’s the in dash wiring I’m concerned about. Under the hood is not an issue.

dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

Still not going to be able to find a replacement harness new. Will have to find a used one.
84 Grand Waggy-Radio Flyer (Garnet Red/3M Ebony Metallic woodgrain, with honey interior) AMC 360 :cry: 2004 4.8LS/Advance Adapter/727/242 D44/AMC20 Serehill tailgate and headlight harnesses :fsj: Ongoing thread-viewtopic.php?t=11897

dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

Also, have you tried tom Collins' jeep page?

Topic author
kep01

Post by kep01 »

dodgerammit wrote:Also, have you tried tom Collins' jeep page?
I’ll check it out. Thanks for the help. Overall the Jeep is in great shape and I plan on pulling the dash soon so if it’s repairable then I’m a step ahead. Other than that it’s just gonna be recovering the seats and panels and new carpet

dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

kep01 wrote:
I’ll check it out. Thanks for the help. Overall the Jeep is in great shape and I plan on pulling the dash soon so if it’s repairable then I’m a step ahead. Other than that it’s just gonna be recovering the seats and panels and new carpet

Oooo. I've already been through the dash thing. Any reason you're pulling the dash? Pad replacement? Pulling and reinstalling the windshield is fun......

Topic author
kep01

Post by kep01 »

dodgerammit wrote:
kep01 wrote:

Oooo. I've already been through the dash thing. Any reason you're pulling the dash? Pad replacement? Pulling and reinstalling the windshield is fun......
Well I feel it’s gonna be easier to check all the wiring and vacuum lines.

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

Did you know it's VERY difficult to pull the dash without removing the windshield first. Even harder if not impossible to reinstall.

There are about seven bolts under the windshield gasket.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

SJTD wrote:Did you know it's VERY difficult to pull the dash without removing the windshield first. Even harder if not impossible to reinstall.

There are about seven bolts under the windshield gasket.
This. It is much easier to lay on your back, inverted in the floorboard checking wiring and lines. Had to swap my dash due to a PO being an idiot with a sawzall. Otherwise, I would have never even considered the struggle. Drop the A/C unit, pull the cluster, and pull the glove box liner. This will expose pretty much everything you need to get to.

letank

Post by letank »

Looking good, welcome to the asylum,give us the year of the rig, looks like an 86 or newer.

There were some changes in the specs of the gauges in 86 from the previous 85 and older models, having a transplant will be tricky if you want to have accurate gauges... each sender has a specific ohm rating, you will have to specs the sender rating for the diesel you have and go from there, probably the same issue for the speedo, but with the TH400, which transfer case do you have... you can buy little gears to match your speedo and gearing.

Pict of the underhood are always welcome
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

Topic author
kep01

Post by kep01 »

Thanks for all of the information. This is why I joined this forum. So now it looks as I will not pull the whole dash but work from the bottom.

Topic author
kep01

Post by kep01 »

letank wrote:Looking good, welcome to the asylum,give us the year of the rig, looks like an 86 or newer.

There were some changes in the specs of the gauges in 86 from the previous 85 and older models, having a transplant will be tricky if you want to have accurate gauges... each sender has a specific ohm rating, you will have to specs the sender rating for the diesel you have and go from there, probably the same issue for the speedo, but with the TH400, which transfer case do you have... you can buy little gears to match your speedo and gearing.

It is an 88. And I have all guages working except the fuel gauge. I think it’s the sending unit. It reads empty when full and full when empty.

dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

kep01 wrote:
letank wrote:Looking good, welcome to the asylum,give us the year of the rig, looks like an 86 or newer.

It is an 88. And I have all guages working except the fuel gauge. I think it’s the sending unit. It reads empty when full and full when empty.

May be an earlier (pre 86) style sender. Mine did the same with a later style.

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Get a box cutter knife lift the lip of the windshield gasket by the dash just a tiny bit.. cut under the gasket at an angle pointing to the hood... Slice the dash padd out that way.. I garuntee the pad isnt even being held by the bolt anymore anyway.

I took a pad off for my wagoneer took the windshield off and when i looked at the pad where the bolts where on it was cut out like a metal mold on bread dough yo make shapes if that makes sense.. from the bolts lol and the pad wasnt even being held on by them anymore.

To reinstall just tilt the pad up slide it under the gasket and thats it.. The pad is mainly being held on by the 1-2 inches of overlapping windshield gasket not thr bolts anymore

When i remove my old dash pad and put the new one in i plan to do it this way.. And im 99% positive itll work just fine
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

will e

Post by will e »

Howdy from Phoenix! Maybe go with a custom set of gauges? It's a nice looking rig.

Are the seats stock? You might look at some aftermarket alternatives. how about some pics of the interior?

Oh, and when you have the seats out that's the time to fix the wiring. Much easier laying on your back. You might not be aware but the rear seat removes completely and pretty easily. It's heave and awkward but will pull right out. This is nice for when you have the front seats out and are working on the dash wiring. Gives you a lot of room to lay down.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

candymancan wrote:Get a box cutter knife lift the lip of the windshield gasket by the dash just a tiny bit.. cut under the gasket at an angle pointing to the hood... Slice the dash padd out that way.. I garuntee the pad isnt even being held by the bolt anymore anyway.

I took a pad off for my wagoneer took the windshield off and when i looked at the pad where the bolts where on it was cut out like a metal mold on bread dough yo make shapes if that makes sense.. from the bolts lol and the pad wasnt even being held on by them anymore.

To reinstall just tilt the pad up slide it under the gasket and thats it.. The pad is mainly being held on by the 1-2 inches of overlapping windshield gasket not thr bolts anymore

When i remove my old dash pad and put the new one in i plan to do it this way.. And im 99% positive itll work just fine
He's not just wanting to remove the dash pad. He's talking about pulling the whole dash and reinstalling.

DustinLangston

Post by DustinLangston »

I agree that it is absolutely easier to lay on your back under the dash. Just take the front seats out first and it will be super easy with tons of room. If you really really want to take the dash out then remove the windshield! If you have two guys it's easy to take out. Or if your windshield or gasket is in bad condition and you want to replace them just cut the gasket out with a razor knife and remove windshield. I do this with EVERY FSJ I rebuilt. It is super easy. This also gives me access to pull the dash pad out and get it recovered in leather. Welcome to the group and the madness. :)
1982 Wagoneer Limited 5.3L Vortec 4L60E swap - finished/restored - sold - bought back - sold again
1979 Wagoneer 360 TH400 1339 QT - built into perfect daily driver - sold
1981 J10 Sportside Honcho - finished/restored - sold
1979 Cherokee Golden Eagle - 5.3L Vortec 6L80E swap - finished/restored - sold
1967 Super Wagoneer - sold, too much work
1978 J10 Golden Eagle - finished/restored - sold
1962 Rambler Classic Cross Country Wagon - current project, wife's daily driver - she'll never let me sell it