My 2018 Jeep year was pretty good

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
will e

My 2018 Jeep year was pretty good

Post by will e »

The best parts where being with friends. I was able to attend both Ouray and TITD (Thanksgiving in the Desert) which are two of my favorite events of any year. I managed to get a separate run in with fellow FSJ enthusiast Kevin and Derek rode along with me a couple of times as well. I got the Jeep out on the trail 28 times, 27 if you don't count TITD. That's not bad considering half the year isn't friendly to wheeling.

But it wasn't without some carnage and two calls to AAA to get towed. The first was in January when I could NOT get the transfer case to go back into high. That turned out to be a interference issue with the shifter. The second is when the Ujoint let go on the drive shaft. I was off the trail by then so rather than fix it on the side of the road, another call to AAA. I also had a battery die on the trail but a jump got me going and I kept it on until I got home. My planetary gear doesn't want to stay engaged in 'low', I haven't fixed it yet but it's on the list. The front spring is still bent but will be replaced soon. A little bit of body damage and a lot more 'Arizona Pin striping' but overall not too bad.

Biggest improvement this year was Evil Twin's addition to the roll cage. It now goes up the A pillars, back to the B pillars and across on both sides including a brace just above the dash. I also swapped in some new seats and spent a bunch of time making sure everything in the back is secured. A lot of other little things like wiring and such. I enjoy tinkering as much as wheeling.

It passed emissions first try and since the 'kid' doing the inspection did a driving test, instead of an idle only, it is good for 2 years instead of just one. 2019 will be 'emissions' stress free!

So how was your 2018? Did you get to use the Jeep for your intended purpose? Did you make progress on your build? Any big plans for 2019?

I still need to get the oil leaks fixed, the problem is that will disable the Jeep for a bit and I won't be able to take it out on the trail. When it's nice enough to work on the jeep, it's nice enough to go wheeling. I have the bent spring to contend with along with the transfer case issue. I have a set of used Bilstien shocks I need to put on too. I don't have any real 'big' plans for the Jeep for 2019. Hopefully I can keep it running and go wheeling!
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

SJTD

Re: My 2018 Jeep year was pretty good

Post by SJTD »

You is in AZ, no?

Does everyone need to get smogged or are there areas that don't. Even here in Kal it's not required in some counties.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Topic author
will e

Post by will e »

In Arizona if you live in or around Maricopa county or in the city of Tucson then emissions is required. Of course there are lots of exceptions for things like new cars, very old cars (1965 or older) and such. My 83 gets a visual and exhaust.
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

letank

Post by letank »

will e wrote: So how was your 2018? Did you get to use the Jeep for your intended purpose? Did you make progress on your build? Any big plans for 2019?
Thank you for the warm wishes, and best to you and the FSJ family

2018 was a challenging year, it started nicely with the purchase of a new project, which turned into a full time brainteaser. Yes, a new camshaft for now. But in May a slow speed fall at less than 5mph while off-roading in the sierras, resulted in an abrupt stop to any activities for a few months while using the following in a very well known trail

something gave up...

I am getting better every day, I can even put my coverall without leaning on a wall , so it is all good. I can stand for hours around the project and acquire new skills and walk a few blocks... without a cane like it was until mid November.
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

Topic author
will e

Post by will e »

Oh my goodness Michel! That looks painful. I am happy to hear you are improving.

letank

Post by letank »

will e wrote:Oh my goodness Michel! That looks painful. I am happy to hear you are improving.
Thank you Mike. When I heard the sound of splitting wood... I knew that I had to disconnect any feelings from that ankle and focus on getting help... I could not lift up the bike, nor move it out of the way on a barely travelled trail... I broke some branches to make crutches and wade my way for about a mile to get signal... The pain was very minimal.

The worst pain was after the 2nd surgery to install the plate and screws after the local anesthesia wore off, that was a bad day.
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

Topic author
will e

Post by will e »

letank wrote: The worst pain was after the 2nd surgery to install the plate and screws after the local anesthesia wore off, that was a bad day.
I can imagine, that's a lot of trauma. Just looking at the x-ray pains me. At least they are able to do this type of surgery and get you back to walking again. Are you done with the dirt biking?

derf

Post by derf »

Wow, that does not look like it was a fun experience. Glad to hear you're on the mend.

My 2018 was good overall. I got in two trips to Moab and got to see the people who made it to Ouray. I even got to put a couple more faces to go with names. The second half of 2018 involved a job hunt and settling into a more permanent position within the company, along with a 50 mile move up the road. So I didn't do much Jeeping at all after I got back from Ouray.

Unfortunately, my truck is probably going to go into hibernation for a while. The 401 rebuild was not successful and I'll need to swap it out. It overheats, burns oil, and burns coolant. I can drive it and the plates are good for a while but I won't renew them when they come due. I'll put the truck into hibernation. until I have the means to do my next round of upgrades.

I have started putting together a plan for the next drivetrain and it will involve replacing everything from the fan to the transfer case. I haven't settled 100% on exactly what I will be putting in but it will most likely be a GM product of some kind. And, of course, I want to be different so I'm not going to go with an LS swap. I haven't ruled out going with a big block but a well built 383 small block is still on the table. There is an off chance, if the company decides to release it, that I will go with a diesel option. And we'll see what happens in the next year. I already have the transmission to take the upped torque, though it needs a rebuild. And I've figured out a plan for the transfer case that will drive everything. I don't want to do the full reveal but the number 205 is involved as part of it. Mostly, I need to save up cash before any real work can happen. And I'm going to not start the teardown until I have the fully assembled drivetrain ready to go in. So that probably means 2020 at the earliest.

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

I didnt do any work to my wagoneer or other jeeps this year.. I got burned out from all the work i did the first two years to it. But it never broke down.. didnt leak when it rained and ran really good and i daily drive it. Non of the other jeeps broke down or had major issues either... Took my moms Jeep to visit my brother for christmas bout 1700 mile trip. Ran great for a vehicke at 275k miles... Hard to believe the transmission axles. engine and transfercase are all the originals .. spec8ally the transmission.

I think its nearly unheard of to have a Jeep transmission get to 300k miles. lol

This year though i gatta fix the rear main seal on the waggy for good.. fix more rust... and my 5.9 zj i need a new transfercase and steering gear box and to replace some steering joints
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)