Replaced Mirror Glass?

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
RamJetFSJ

Replaced Mirror Glass?

Post by RamJetFSJ »

Has any body successfully replaced just the mirror glass in their stock side mirrors?

I have sorta given up on replacing the side mirrors with something else, as I just can't find something I like. As much as the tiny little side mirrors are nearly worthless, I think they would be a little better with some fresh mirror glass. Mine are very hazy and rusted, making seeing out of them even harder than normal.

I have found 1 company that sells just the glass in the correct size (hopefully), for about $45 for both sides. Im not sure how easy, or permanent the replacement is though, as I have never replaced the glass in a mirror before.

This is in regards to the 1980 era remote manual adjust mirrors.

Thanks!
80 Wag in 73 attire, Ram Jet 350 power

Topic author
RamJetFSJ

Re: Replaced Mirror Glass?

Post by RamJetFSJ »

This is the site I found. I had to enter a later model year to get something in the right dimensional size.
http://mirrorglassplus.com/1984-117/

Bamawagoneer

Post by Bamawagoneer »

I am looking to do the exact same thing and appreciate the link. Have no clue which option to use though...

If anyone knows the process of replacing the glass please let us know. Maybe I can just liquid nails the replacement on top of the old glass :lol:

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

I never use my mirrors i physically look left and right... which you should be doing anyway to cover blind apots.. but i hear ya the stock mirrors are too tiny
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

Topic author
RamJetFSJ

Post by RamJetFSJ »

The glass on my mirrors is really bad and hard to see out of, made worse by the small size, but I’m going to give it a go. Looks like you just have to remove the old glass from the backing plate with a metal scraper, and stick the new glass on. But I’m not 100% sure the 84 lass fits my 80 mirrors. Was there any changes in the mirrors in the later years, besides going to electric?

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

All i know is the electric ones are nearly impossible to remove (the whole mirror i mean with the electric part) without breaking them.. They are stupidly screwed in with philips screws BEHIND the glass... so unlike modern mirrors where you just pull and pop out the glass section.. On these you have to remove the whole mechanism.

Somehow bending the mirrors to get a philips at an angle to unscrew them.

I broke two glass mirrors doing that.... Which sucked but it was ok i bought new ( used) ones on ebay for 70$ where the chrome housing was still shiney and you could see you reflection in em.. vs my originals that had so many pink like white dots from the chrome fading it had no reflection anymore.. sadly the passenger side gpass was all scratched up like someone cleaned them with a metal scubby pad... I never use my mirrors anyway like i said its better and safer to look yourself. Even in my ZJZ with bigger mirrors i always look i never use them tbh
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

Topic author
RamJetFSJ

Post by RamJetFSJ »

I am not going to remove the backing plate at all. Just remove the glass from it. That’s what the installation video shows, but it shows doing it to glass that is already broken, possibly making it easier.

Bamawagoneer

Post by Bamawagoneer »

I just replaced the mirrors on my 88 GW and it was super easy.

Here is the replacement glass I used. Around $50 total for both mirrors. Could be cheaper elsewhere.

Driver:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00RE ... UTF8&psc=1

Passenger ():
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00RE ... UTF8&psc=1

Just pry the old glass off (will most likely break) . Then stick then new glass on (already has adhesive strips on back). That's all there is to it.

I took it once step further and removed the plastic backing plate which is held on with just a single screw so I could wipe out dirt and grime. One of the easiest things I've done for my GW and it looks a lot better than the old worn out mirror glass it had.

Topic author
RamJetFSJ

Post by RamJetFSJ »

Awesome. Thanks for the info!

Rod2

Post by Rod2 »

I got a convex blank from O'Reilly that was big enough to cover the pass side 7x10 truck glass. I took it and my compromised original to a glass store and had the new convex trimmed to fit and then bonded (probably epoxied) to the original; no removal, just covered. Now "objects may be closer than they look" on the pass side.
'73 J4000 'WOOD GO' 360, 2100 MC, T-18, D-20, 60-2 rear, D-44 closed knuckle front with Warn lock-o-Matics, Eaton E-lockers both, Pertronix module, AC, PS, Hydro-boost, AirLift bags front and rear, 33x15 Goodyear MTR's, Pacer 15x8 aluminum Bullet Holes, Summit line lock, 3rd brake light, tilt column from '77 Firebird, 12000 MileMarker on cradle, hitch receiver on both ends