Help- '89 waggy oil pressure sensors?

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
MReno

Help- '89 waggy oil pressure sensors?

Post by MReno »

So I find that my Dash oil pressure gauge is not working. So in diagnosing the issue I found two sensors mounted to the engine block just below and left of the filter. They were connected via a "t" connection and one has a single electrical connection terminal, and the other has
dual electrical terminal connections. What is the dual terminal sensor?
20190517_101319.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1989 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
Newbee to owing an old classic that needs some work, but she runs!

tgreese

Re: Help- '89 waggy oil pressure sensors?

Post by tgreese »

The one with two connections is a switch for the thermoelectric choke. You want the single terminal device for oil pressure.

The TSM will help you a lot: http://www.bjsoffroad.com/1989-Jeep-Fac ... _1059.html RockAuto had them on CD-ROM for ca $25, but not currently. You might find them somewere else online. http://oljeep.com/edge_parts_man.html
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
MReno

Post by MReno »

Thank you tgreese. I ordered both oil parts from BJ's and they are being shipped this week. Thanks.
1989 Jeep Grand Wagoneer

Topic author
MReno

Post by MReno »

All, I fully serviced my oil system by draining, removing, and cleaning the oil pan, rebuilding oil pump (and added a mid plate), replaced the oil switch and oil pressure sender, replaced oil filter and installed fresh oil.

When the engine is running the oil pressure gauge reads @75psi if I recall, and when applying so gas, the gauge increases to about 90 psi. Does this see correct? I thought I read 40psi is appropriate for idle and 60psi when accelerating? Any thoughts on this?
1989 Jeep Grand Wagoneer

Theodore

Post by Theodore »

Hey, MReno - thanks for the post! And, members for answering! Had this same question yesterday, after my oil for the first time & seeing exactly the same thing re:parts & oil pressure variances. No one at the parts store knew why there were 2 oil pressure sending units...
1990 Grand Wagoneer - "Theodore" - AMC 360, fuel-injected, TF727, NP229 - Sand Metallic - restoring to stock - Build Thread