Need some help with paint questions on my '76

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
miamitj

Need some help with paint questions on my '76

Post by miamitj »

Hi,

I'm getting the bodywork done om my 76' Cherokee. Since the Jeep is being brought down to bare steel, engine removed, etc. I figured why not change the color to the one I have always wanted. The factory color is yellow/white but I really like the blue/white combo as shown below.

Does anyone know who's Jeep this is or if the blue is factory?

Does anyone know where I can get some info on where the factory line is dividing the top color? The pics don't really give me a good idea on how the back is lined.

My original color:

The blue I REALLY want - can't figure out if it's brilliant blue, renegade blue, medium blue or who knows what ...

Color pallet I found that is supposedly correct for a 76' Cherokee:
Last edited by miamitj on Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Omi - Miami, Fl

1976 Cherokee S AMC 360
2015 JKU

76 Cherokee Build Thread

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: Need some help with paint questions on my '76

Post by Stuka »

The blue Cherokee S you show looks like it is Brilliant Blue. Jeep brought this color back for 2017 model year Wranglers (mine is this color, and I really like). Although its not 100% match to the original, it is a bit lighter. My J10 was the '81 equivalent of Medium Blue Poly, and its a much darker color than Brilliant Blue.

If for some reason the paint shop you use cannot find the codes for the original color, you may be able to use Chief Blue for 2017 Wranglers as a fill in. If you happen to google for Cheif Blue, you will see the color is all over the place. This is because of the flat shape of a Wrangler, it can be a tough color to photograph while getting the color right. Another fall back is Ford Grabber Blue from a 2017 Mustang, which is slightly darker than Chief Blue.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
miamitj

Post by miamitj »

Stuka wrote:The blue Cherokee S you show looks like it is Brilliant Blue. Jeep brought this color back for 2017 model year Wranglers (mine is this color, and I really like). Although its not 100% match to the original, it is a bit lighter. My J10 was the '81 equivalent of Medium Blue Poly, and its a much darker color than Brilliant Blue.

If for some reason the paint shop you use cannot find the codes for the original color, you may be able to use Chief Blue for 2017 Wranglers as a fill in. If you happen to google for Cheif Blue, you will see the color is all over the place. This is because of the flat shape of a Wrangler, it can be a tough color to photograph while getting the color right. Another fall back is Ford Grabber Blue from a 2017 Mustang, which is slightly darker than Chief Blue.

You know -- I completely forgot about that chief JK and the color combo. It almost looks like the one in the picture is a little darker
Omi - Miami, Fl

1976 Cherokee S AMC 360
2015 JKU

76 Cherokee Build Thread

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

miamitj wrote:
Stuka wrote:The blue Cherokee S you show looks like it is Brilliant Blue. Jeep brought this color back for 2017 model year Wranglers (mine is this color, and I really like). Although its not 100% match to the original, it is a bit lighter. My J10 was the '81 equivalent of Medium Blue Poly, and its a much darker color than Brilliant Blue.

You know -- I completely forgot about that chief JK and the color combo. It almost looks like the one in the picture is a little darker
Blue is a tough color to photograph. I probably have 200 photos of my JK, and it can look wildly different depending on the color balance and exposure of the camera.

I think this shot does a good job of show it. But note the side of the Wrangler is flat, while the side of an FSJ is not. So that has an effect on how the color looks.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

Stuka wrote: Blue is a tough color to photograph. I probably have 200 photos of my JK, and it can look wildly different depending on the color balance and exposure of the camera.
Then there's the variations in computer monitors displaying the pichers.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

To me, the blue Cherokee shown in the first post is a metallic color. https://ibb.co/1JCgGMM - could be Jetset Blue Poly ('74) or Medium Blue Poly ('75 & '76) IMO. Brilliant blue is not metallic; anything metallic was called a "poly" color, ie Medium Blue Poly. Depends on what you want.

In '75 the white-above scheme had it's own color code, different from the solid color code. This seems to have gone away for 1976. There was also a Midnight Blue Poly and Nautical Blue Poly in 1976. The Ditzler and DuPont codes for Medium Blue Poly are 2704 and 43501 resp. and are different from the pre-76 color. Above should be Alpine White, 2702 and 43499. I would expect all the white-above Jeeps to have the same color division line, so you could copy your existing color scheme.

JMO - I like the yellow, and it's a plus to have the color code match the exterior color. Metallics are harder to shoot, but yellow tends to fade.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
miamitj

Post by miamitj »

Ty to everyone. I ended up just getting a color I liked from a color palette. It was just painted. Here is what it currently looks like...

Omi - Miami, Fl

1976 Cherokee S AMC 360
2015 JKU

76 Cherokee Build Thread