How to reattach hood ornament

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
candymancan

How to reattach hood ornament

Post by candymancan »

Since the shop i nrought my Jeep too broke my hood ornament snd put another dent in my grill... im not going bsck nore letting them fix my ornament.. they painted some parts of my jeep i asked for that wasnt part of the hood damage i was getting repaired and gave me 100$ back from the original bill to cover them breaking my ornament

So thats fine..

I was thinking of using JB weld to glue it on... but the old shop mechanic ssid to go to lowes and buy a tiny screw that has a loop on it.. and dremel into the ornament.. screw the loop screw into it with some glue.. then get a spring and loop it on and bend the spring arms like factory kind of had it. This way my ornament can wobble under pressure or from being hit vs glue where itll pop off from an impact..

But i dunno if lowes or home depot would have stuff like that..

What do you guys suggest to get the emblem back on
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

letank

Re: How to reattach hood ornament

Post by letank »

pict of the broken part could help us to figure out a repair, the logo is mounted on a spring and retainer....
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

Topic author
candymancan

Post by candymancan »

The spring is missing which pisses me off because it had a spring... The loop thr spring went in is broken so even if i had snother spring i couldnt reattach it.

So its litterally just the base and emblem.. Would jb weld hold it on ? Or would maybe drilling a hole through it and putting s screw on it work better ? It just wont flex anymore

Chubbinius

Post by Chubbinius »

Autozone, O'reilly's, Advanced all sell packs of springs (for seats, and linkages and the like) that you could look through to find out e about the right size, they either have straight ends you can bend to fit, or hooks you can clip through an eye bolt. While you may also be to weld on a thin bolt/stud to the emblem and then bolt and washer it from below in the base (not sure if you'll have enough room, as I don't have one to check). Good luck
1970 1414X Wagoneer "The Pig"
-Custom Special
-Dauntless 350 V8
-D27 front/D44 rear
2006 XK (65th Ann Edition)-DD

Topic author
candymancan

Post by candymancan »

I tried putting eye bolts on but the springs i found wouldnt work.

So i drilled a larger hole and force threaded a screw in using a nut as a washer since i couldnt find my washers lol. The emblem metal is so soft you dont need to use a die and tap.. the screw self threaded itself

It worked.. and this thing is on really tight now.