Exhaust bracket

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
TeaBag

Exhaust bracket

Post by TeaBag »

Does anyone have a picture of the rear exhaust bracket closest to the axle on the late-model Jeep grand Wagoneer? I am completely missing the one that is closest to the axle and I have no idea what parts are needed or what? All I can see is a hole in the floor of body where it looks like it hangs from. But looking at pictures of mounts online it doesn't look like everything I need comes with the mount. Specifically I'm trying to see how it attaches to the vehicle.

FSJ Guy

Re: Exhaust bracket

Post by FSJ Guy »

Forward of the rear axle or behind it?

Unless you're doing a full restoration, I bet a good muffler shop can fab one up that will work even better than the factory version.
Ethan Brady

http://www.bigscaryjeep.com

Jeepless, but I still have a lots of old parts in my garage!

letank

Post by letank »

behind the axle

and the rear most one by the leaf spring rear most hanger

looks like I need a new tail pipe.... and yes a new cross over and muffler, lots of rust here.
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

Topic author
TeaBag

Post by TeaBag »

letank,

Thanks for the reply with pics. That was exactly what I was looking for. The one that is directly behind the rear axle is completely missing on my jeep. I cant tell from the pic but is there any sort of special bracket above the rubberized portion of the mount itself or does that bolt directly to the underside of the vehicle?

Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

letank

Post by letank »

TeaBag wrote:letank,

Thanks for the reply with pics. That was exactly what I was looking for. The one that is directly behind the rear axle is completely missing on my jeep. I cant tell from the pic but is there any sort of special bracket above the rubberized portion of the mount itself or does that bolt directly to the underside of the vehicle?

Thanks!
Bolts to the frame, in same style as the rear most mount, a loop of reinforced rubber with an inside metal brace. I can get the one on the 74 as it is real aftermarket...
Michel

Topic author
TeaBag

Post by TeaBag »

It bolts to the frame and not to the underside of the cargo floor? Does it have a special bracket that assists in its attachment to the frame?

letank

Post by letank »

TeaBag wrote:It bolts to the frame and not to the underside of the cargo floor? Does it have a special bracket that assists in its attachment to the frame?
just one hole and the reinforced rubber

and one hole in the frame

notice that the bolt and nuts are opposite at ea mounting point, it is more obvious on the rear most mount, due to light exposure

the 74, more rust has brackets without rubber, plain auto parts store hangers, it mount more forward than the 85, there is some mount on the cargo floor for this one. The 85 where the luxo cruiser style, more efforts to quiet the resonnance of the exhaust.

If you have a real muffler shop, it may do the work for not too much.

Ask if you need more picts.
Michel

Topic author
TeaBag

Post by TeaBag »

Got it! I see it now. Thanks for all your help!

letank

Post by letank »

TeaBag wrote:Got it! I see it now. Thanks for all your help!
De nada.... this is the purpose of the list, help one another to keep our dinosaurs on the road/off road/any road.
Michel

letank

Post by letank »

Adding some references number the hanger above the axle or closest to the axle is walker 35819

the one for the rearmost at the tip of the tail pipe seems unobtainum at the moment

Michel

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

There are mount exhaust mount behind the axle on my 90. One is on the leaf spring bracket the other is on the frame or floorboard i forgot exactly.. i dont use the other one.. just the leaf spring one
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

letank

Post by letank »

candymancan wrote:There are mount exhaust mount behind the axle on my 90. One is on the leaf spring bracket the other is on the frame or floorboard i forgot exactly.. i dont use the other one.. just the leaf spring one
thank you,

I will probably drill an install as done here (Strode 82 Chero)

Michel

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

sorry my post made no sense... What i ment to say what my 90 has 2 stock mounts on the exhaust behind the axle. One is on the leaf spring mount and mounts the exhaust pipe as it curves sideways.. The other is on the bottom of the c channle on the frame.. like 4 inches away from the shock mount i dont use that one after i put my new muffler.cat on the pipe wouldnt line up to it.

here is an older pic of mine.. yes the rust is bad.. and its all been cleaned and fixed lol this pic is just a pic i had on hand of my exhaust but you csn see both mounts.. the one on the frame.. and on the very right youll see the one on the leaf spring bracket

https://imgur.com/a/zvNkp
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)