Winch Question

Area for post regarding Jeeps other than an FSJ. This area may contain technical post regarding those vehicles as well.

Topic author
66stepside

Winch Question

Post by 66stepside »

So the sidewinder winch is in the 66. The new skid plate is ready for paint/bedliner.

Before I get to that- where's the best place to locate the controller?

There's space where it sits (on the right of the winch as pictured). Is there a better place?

Here's the plate mocked up on the truck, so the controller would be under and in front of the power steering. A plus is that it would also be out of the way of the cable...

jaber
Vendor

Re: Winch Question

Post by jaber »

I think I would mount the controller on the inner fender, so its not catching all the road grim.

It looks great... :-bd
Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 Cummins service truck
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

Thanks Jaber.

While there are tons of pics of the winch on the net, there's only one of the controller mounted. I did mount it on the inner fender well. I used the winch to pull two jeeps, I took video and I'll eventually post that on the boobtube.

UKJeeper

Post by UKJeeper »

jaber wrote:I think I would mount the controller on the inner fender, so its not catching all the road grim.
This.
'79 Cherokee 2 door (RIP)
'79 Cherokee 4 door (RIP)
'79 Cherokee 2 door (RIP
'82 Cherokee Chief
'91 YJ
Fiat Renegade...

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Never seen one of these before, looks pretty compact. Inner fender well should work. How hot does the controller get?
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

Stuka wrote:Never seen one of these before, looks pretty compact. Inner fender well should work. How hot does the controller get?

They had pretty good reviews, rated up to 12k based on the cable, but I wouldn't want to test that theory with mine. The controller never got hot on the fender well, I was more worried about draining the battery.

I'll take the truck out and see what the winch can do and see if the controller gets hot. Any thoughts on synthetic cables?
Last edited by 66stepside on Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Synthetic cable is better in every single way in comparison to steel cable IMHO. The only possible downside is it can be cut if it rubs against something that is sharp. But otherwise, it weighs WAY less, is just as strong (Pulling strength), and will handle weather better (Won't ever rust).
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

Stuka wrote:Synthetic cable is better in every single way in comparison to steel cable IMHO. The only possible downside is it can be cut if it rubs against something that is sharp. But otherwise, it weighs WAY less, is just as strong (Pulling strength), and will handle weather better (Won't ever rust).

I just read an article about synthetic vs. steel cable in the latest issue of 4Wheeler while I was uploading the winch vid to the 66's show n tell thread. It was Cappa and some other guy giving their views on which one is better, Cappa gave the arguments and evidence to support synthetic.

I know for sure that the steel cable stuff is SUPER heavy. If I had a do over button, I would've pulled the cable out of the winch before installation. Live and learn. I'll look into swapping the cable over to synthetic eventually, but that's near the bottom of my list.

Bostonbob

Post by Bostonbob »

your jeeps are too old to run syn line and that's ok

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

The "new" bumper is growing on me. Steel cable is old skool, for sure. There isn't much left on my 66 that's stock. Odds are I'll be using the winch for saving my shoulder just moving project jeeps around the yard, lol!

goldhammer

Post by goldhammer »

Back when those came out, Vic had an ad in the print media of a 67-72 body style Blazer hanging from a big tree limb, fully off the ground. They were the cat's meow in their day.
1981 Cherokee W/T, custom winch bumper and deer strainer, 360/T18/208, Warn 8274
1988Cherokee, 3" Rancho lift, custom bumpers, sliders/steps, roof rack, custom camo paint and headliner, Warn 9500

Member Wolfpack 4x4's, region 5, PNW4WDA
OHV Representative, BLM John Day/Snake RAC

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

goldhammer wrote:Back when those came out, Vic had an ad in the print media of a 67-72 body style Blazer hanging from a big tree limb, fully off the ground. They were the cat's meow in their day.
I may have that ad in my file of paper work that came with the winch. It sure was an eye catching ad.

Fishkiller55

Post by Fishkiller55 »

I have 72 J4000 it has a p.t.o. winch is that factory add on.?

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

If the drivetrain is origional, then it probably is factory. Jeep did have them as an option.

serehill
Vendor

Post by serehill »

That winch looks great. Real good design. :idea: It's where mine is. Be careful as stated there are 3 areas where synthetics are different. Their life is shortened exposed to weather sharp objects will cut them. They can get bound on the hub if you don't keep all the slack out of the lines if they are not kept tight if they get bound on the larger winches they will snap. That's all truly about taking care of it. Pulling capability is really good. I changed to synthetics. About 3 years later it snapped from the thing rotting but that was 10 years ago when the technology was new. I didn't use it very much & it was on an exposed winch so the UV's ate it up. Before it rotted it worked fine. I straightened car frames & other things similar pulled fence post, trees & pulled up a few radio towers with it too. Mine broke right at the winch when it gave up.
Last edited by serehill on Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1980 Honcho 258 4 speed mostly stock with 4 " lift.

WIP

You know the rude dude from IFSJA

1980 Cherokee wrangled & mangled
MSD complete system
Eddy intake
Holley 650
Comp cam 270H
4" Rusty's
Ramsey 12K winch
Built to drive not sit in the garage.

No longer strangled. I didn't build it for anyone else.
If you can't improve it why waste your time?

Fleg

Post by Fleg »

I've seen a guy snap a synthetic winch line, tie it in a knot, then keep using it with no problem.

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

serehill wrote:That winch looks great. Real good design. :idea: It's where mine is. Be careful as stated there are 3 areas where synthetics are different. Their life is shortened exposed to weather sharp objects will cut them. They can get bound on the hub if you don't keep all the slack out of the lines if they are not kept tight if they get bound on the lager winches they will snap. That's all truly about taking care of it. Pulling capability is really good. I changed to synthetics. About 3 years later it snapped from the thing rotting but that was 10 years ago when the technology was new. I didn't use it very much & it was on an exposed winch so the UV's ate it up. Before it rotted it worked fine. I straightened car frames & other things similar pulled fence post, trees & pulled up a few radio towers with it too. Mine broke right at the winch when it gave up.
Fleg wrote:I've seen a guy snap a synthetic winch line, tie it in a knot, then keep using it with no problem.
It's been a blast so far- just more goofing around with it than anything. I am just glad I don't have to hand winch any more. I am going to pass on a synthetic line swap- I'll put the money it would cost to better use. My truck doesn't get off road like it used to.

Fishkiller55

Post by Fishkiller55 »

66stepside wrote:If the drivetrain is origional, then it probably is factory. Jeep did have them as an option.
Yes it is the only change was motor.was Chrysler 360 a stock motor. ? Iam 2nd owner first threw a rod got rid of it and put in the 360.other then that all original.

Fishkiller55

Post by Fishkiller55 »

I also have a twin to my truck no wintch straight 6.

Fishkiller55

Post by Fishkiller55 »

66stepside wrote:If the drivetrain is origional, then it probably is factory. Jeep did have them as an option.
U seem to know a lot about the j-trucks these two r my frist.can I swap out the 360 for the 6 r bellhouseing same?