No Fuel Pressure

Area for post regarding Jeeps other than an FSJ. This area may contain technical post regarding those vehicles as well.

Topic author
Tin Medic

No Fuel Pressure

Post by Tin Medic »

I drove about 5 miles and then I lost power, no fuel flow. Let it cool down for 15 min or so and its good for another 5 or 6 miles then repeat. I added a new ground and no go. If I hook a 9 volt to the fuel pump it will run constantly but when using the key it doesnt always turn the pump on. I put a new fuel filter on right before the pump. Should I get fuel to the rail using the 9V battery to run the pump, because I'm not? Any ideas?

This is a problem with my cj, Fuel Injected 4.2L I6.
89 GW 360/727/208 (soon to be LQ9/727/208) MSD 8523 Pro Billet Distributor, MSD 8207 Blaster SS Coil, 30x9.5x15 Destination M/Ts, Warn Lock Out Hubs

"I don't always downshift, but when I do its next to a Prius so the driver can hear me hurt the environment."

Jeeps don't break down, they're just extremely demanding when they need parts replaced!

Jeep Owner

AwesomeJ10

Re: No Fuel Pressure

Post by AwesomeJ10 »

I dunno if 9v is enough to push a TBI fuel pump, but I kinda doubt it.

How are the fuel filters? You should have one between the tank and the pump, then another between the pump and the TBI. That's how I run my rigs with no issues.

When you turn the key on a GM TBI system, the fuel pump relay should be energized by the ECM. The relay will then energize the fuel pump itself. Should be 12V + There is a fuse somewhere near the fuel pump relay along the harness. Check that.

Topic author
Tin Medic

Post by Tin Medic »

I didn't think a 9V would push fuel, just used it to verify the pump was working.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
89 GW 360/727/208 (soon to be LQ9/727/208) MSD 8523 Pro Billet Distributor, MSD 8207 Blaster SS Coil, 30x9.5x15 Destination M/Ts, Warn Lock Out Hubs

"I don't always downshift, but when I do its next to a Prius so the driver can hear me hurt the environment."

Jeeps don't break down, they're just extremely demanding when they need parts replaced!

Jeep Owner

AwesomeJ10

Post by AwesomeJ10 »

fuel pumps do get hot and go bad....

Squirt some water on it and see if that helps cool it down and make it work...

Topic author
Tin Medic

Post by Tin Medic »

Can the relay work intermittently? I am looking at electrical being part of the problem.

Jeep Owner

AwesomeJ10

Post by AwesomeJ10 »

Sure, relay can become partially stuck and partially working. You should be carrying a couple of spare relays.... Swap it out.