1947 Jeep CJ Resto?

Area for post regarding Jeeps other than an FSJ. This area may contain technical post regarding those vehicles as well.

Topic author
haminawag

1947 Jeep CJ Resto?

Post by haminawag »

Howdy, My buddy in Albuquerque has a 1947 CJ his dad gave to him, it's completely rust free and original except for a few key things: The 4 cyl. engine was replaced with a Chevy 350 / Muncie 4 speed back in the early 1970s, not sure if the TC was left in it or not, it has its original radiator so it overheats very quickly with the V-8. The big engine ate up all the under-hood space so the battery tray got welded to the front bumper, and lastly the spare tire was relocated from the right rear side to the back of the tailgate which is currently welded shut. Otherwise it's sitting in his garage in stock form, it's even sitting on its original 1947 tires! And three are holding air !!

My questions are: Are there any original Go-Devil engines left out there or are they museum pieces nowadays?

What are the best choices for a 4 cyl. / stick shift tranny retrofit? Are there any off-the-shelf parts available for a modification like this?

He says this Jeep was made by Ford, but I thought Willys had sole production rights after the end of WWII? The title just says "1947 Jeep".

Based on the titles lack of info. and what I've read online about the history of these Jeeps I figure it should be a CJ-2B, does this sound right?

He has need of the V-8 & 4 spd. for his Chevy 1/2 ton, so what is the current value of something in this condition minus an engine and tranny?

Any and all info. will be helpful to us, we both want to see this little flatty made useful again.
Let us not forget what our fathers taught us.

Ham-in-a-Wag
1967 Plymouth Fury
1979 Wagoneer
2000 RAV4

Tin Medic

Re: 1947 Jeep CJ Resto?

Post by Tin Medic »

Head over to Jeep-Cj forums: http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/index.php. You will be better off getting answers from there.
89 GW 360/727/208 (soon to be LQ9/727/208) MSD 8523 Pro Billet Distributor, MSD 8207 Blaster SS Coil, 30x9.5x15 Destination M/Ts, Warn Lock Out Hubs

"I don't always downshift, but when I do its next to a Prius so the driver can hear me hurt the environment."

Jeeps don't break down, they're just extremely demanding when they need parts replaced!

Jeep Owner