Abbreviated ZJ build...

Area for post regarding Jeeps other than an FSJ. This area may contain technical post regarding those vehicles as well.

Topic author
Dmntxn77

Abbreviated ZJ build...

Post by Dmntxn77 »

I'm going to bring my ZJ to the 2014 Ouray FSJ Invasion this summer, so I figured I would post up a down and dirty build thread on it.

It's a 96 Orvis Edition that I picked up about a year ago for a great deal. It looked like a PO swapped a lot of the Orvis parts out for 5.9 Limited parts. It had about 140k on the ticker and the 5.2 felt REAL tired.

The first thing I did was add a 4" short arm kit, put in a front Lock-Right, and threw on some 33"s.

It worked well, and flexed pretty good for a short arm system.

But..... I've owned several ZJ's and that 5.2 just didn't feel right. I decided to go ahead and rebuild it. Once I got it out I found that it had a cracked head and started toying with options, I figured why put a 5.2 back in when a 5.9 wouldn't cost much more ($250 for the block was the ONLY extra expense).

Here is the rebuilt 5.9 block when I got it back from the machine shop.

I ended up going a little overboard with the build. Imagine that.. Lol

I ended up with:

Balanced 5.9 bored .030
Modded Kegger
Iron Ram EQ Heads
Comp Cams 210x cam
52mm TB
24lb Injectors
ML Headers
electric fan
SCT custom tune

No... That filter does not fit under the hood. And no, I didn't expect it to. However, it was a MUCH more perfect fit than I did calculate. :shock:

To be continued...
Last edited by Dmntxn77 on Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
Dmntxn77

Re: Abbreviated ZJ build...

Post by Dmntxn77 »

This was my solution to the air filter/hood fitment. It's a 99-04 mustang gt scoop. The lines fit the ZJ lines real nicely IMO.

While I had the engine out, I decided it would be a good time to upgrade the suspension. I ended up getting an IRO front long arm upgrade and saving the rear for a custom triangulated 4 link that I am currently working on. Here is the massive IRO drivers side link.

I also decided to step up to 35"s, and eliminated the crappy factory steering set-up by building an over the knuckle 1 ton steering set-up with a relocated trackbar. Make note, the IRO front LA system eliminates the passenger side upper control arm.

The angles are almost dead-on, so you will have to look close to see the trackbar behind the dralink.

Here is how it sits now after it's first, and only so far, shakedown run which was the weekend before last.

Topic author
Dmntxn77

Post by Dmntxn77 »

I still have a long list to get done before Ouray and I will update my progress I'd there is interest (I realize that this is a ZJ on a FSJ website).

Pre-Ouray big ticket list:

Winch install
Dual battery install
Waggy D44 & AMC 20 w/4.56's and Lock-Rights (still need a D44 lunch box locker) install
And.....
Cage install

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

That Jeep is more than rated for the trails we run around Ouray. Nice setup. Since this site has an other Jeep section, your post is in the right place. :-bd

Heck, I occasionally go on about my other Jeep too. ;)
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

Topic author
Dmntxn77

Post by Dmntxn77 »

Thanks...

I love Eagles. I've came across one for sale in WA a couple times but could never pull the trigger. Maybe someday...

nc wagoneer

Post by nc wagoneer »

Wish I had some funds right now because there is a beautiful eagle sedan with no rust and mint all around at the local shop. The man who owns it told my dad the other day when he was in there that he'd really like to see it go to somebody who knows about them and will care for it.

Sent from my Motorola Moto X
77 J20 flatbed FOR SALE
"old blue" 79 waggy-sitting in Jake's full size jeep junkyard, traded for j20 parts
Also:
1986 Isuzu Trooper Factory Diesel/5 Speed
1999 Arctic Cat 400 4x4 (weekend toy)
1984 GMC Suburban K10 6.2 Diesel/700r4/np208
Originally Posted by fulsizjeep
"Truth is FSJs are crack on wheels. One taste and you are addicted. Then you just want more. Anyone who does not see this is in denial"

El Jefe

Post by El Jefe »

Love your ZJ. And I also love that Eagle.

Topic author
Dmntxn77

Post by Dmntxn77 »

El Jefe wrote:Love your ZJ. And I also love that Eagle.
Thanks... :-bd