Baby Cherokees and Grand Cherokees

Area for post regarding Jeeps other than an FSJ. This area may contain technical post regarding those vehicles as well.

Topic author
husker77

Baby Cherokees and Grand Cherokees

Post by husker77 »

I need to get my daughter a vehicle, was kind of thinking one of the Cherokees, I think 1984-2001 or Grand Cherokees, 1993-2004. Nothing for serious offroading or anything. Any suggestions on good years, engines or the what not. Also anything to avoid. Not sure if they fall into a price range that would work, not even sure what the price range is yet.

nc wagoneer

Re: Baby Cherokees and Grand Cherokees

Post by nc wagoneer »

91-01 for xj's and avoid the 4 cylinders. Your year range on the gc's are good just avoid the v8's and quadra drive.

Sent from my Motorola Moto X
77 J20 flatbed FOR SALE
"old blue" 79 waggy-sitting in Jake's full size jeep junkyard, traded for j20 parts
Also:
1986 Isuzu Trooper Factory Diesel/5 Speed
1999 Arctic Cat 400 4x4 (weekend toy)
1984 GMC Suburban K10 6.2 Diesel/700r4/np208
Originally Posted by fulsizjeep
"Truth is FSJs are crack on wheels. One taste and you are addicted. Then you just want more. Anyone who does not see this is in denial"

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

The 4.7L V8 isn't so bad. The timing chain setup can be a pita to do for sure, but otherwise there are fine. Lot of high mileage 4.7L and 3.7L (Same series) engines out there. They just have to have that crazy timing chain changed.

Stay FAR away from '84-'86 XJ's. The '87-'90's are ok. The EFI system requires a bit of maintenance now and then (Mostly just the TPS). Oh, and if you happen to see a '88-'90 watch out for the ABS system. They were recalled due to reliability issues. So technically '91+ is your best bet, but I would not overlook an '87-'90 if it was priced right.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
husker77

Post by husker77 »

How is like the electrical and power systems? Like the power windows, locks, seats and stuff? If I get her one I will probably try to find a fairly well optioned one.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Our old '89 Limited had everything still working when we sold it two years ago. It had power windows, power locks, remote keyless entry (although this technically was functional we did not use it, it was IR based, not RF), it had 6 way power seats for both front buckets. So that stuff should be pretty reliable, but this all depends who owned it.

I will say this, 91+ electric systems (as in the harness and such) are better than the 87-89 system. Its simpler and uses more modern (for the time) components.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
husker77

Post by husker77 »

Thanks for the help guys. Got to start seeing what is out there.

berettajeep

Post by berettajeep »

I had a '94 2.5FI base model with a 5 speed and a '96 4.0HO sport with a 5 speed Cherokees. Nothing wrong with the 4 cylinder but I would avoid a 4 cylinder/automatic Jeep no matter what. The 4.0 gives you better passing power.

Also don't rule out a 2 wheel drive model. Less likely to be off-roaded but not terribly difficult to convert to 4x4, if that is what you/she wants.

If this is important to you, '94's had no airbags, '95 only drivers side and '96 both sides up front. '96 and up also had OBD2

All Cherokee's had Dana 30 front axle (High pinion up to '00 then low pinion), Rear was a Dana 35, 8.25 (27 spline up to '96.5-ish and 29 spline after that.) or a Dana 44 ( I want to say '89 and earlier but not sure.)

Like stated, '91 and up is your best bet.

Look for cracks around the steering box.

Most start rotting out above the drivers side windshield/drivers side door. Think it had to due with water seeping in through the roof rack.

Check the rockers, those like to rot too. Also check door hinges, people pull on them when getting out of the vehicle and rip the hinge off the body. ( I've seen it) They can be re-welded, but I check that area.)

Check the floors too. The padding under the carpet is a big sponge and loves to hold the water.

Tons of junkyard upgrades can be added too, like bigger tie-rods, higher amp alternator, rear disc brakes...
'47 CJ2A My build
'74 Cherokee S 401/auto My build
'94 Cherokee 4.0 5 speed
'06 Liberty Renegade
'46 CJ2A

letank

Post by letank »

As said 91, or even 93 for the xj to 96 are the preferred years.

The pre 90's have the french Renix TBI, a pain to diagnose, even if people will tell you that it is easy... we had a 90 wrangler w the Renix, the 2.5L and stick, gutless so it may be good for a young driver.... did not burn oil, did not loose oil.... passed smog til 198Kmiles when daughter forgot about watching the temp gauge... blew the head and the block... The mpfi 2.5L after 91 has a little more guts... but the mileage was never good.... 17/21 at most.

the pre 90's w stick have the least favorable stick, the bad peugeot BA10/5. But after 90 they put the ax15...

Stick is the best anti-theft device in the US...
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)