maybe going to look into getting an old jeepster

Area for post regarding Jeeps other than an FSJ. This area may contain technical post regarding those vehicles as well.

Topic author
the odd one

maybe going to look into getting an old jeepster

Post by the odd one »

as the title says I'm probably going to look into a Commando most likely in spring after winter is over, I'm thinking of selling my J10 and getting an old Jeepster, I hate the idea of getting rid of the old fart, but the V8 is some what of a hog and its kind of a pain not having enough room in it to be able to go camping and go on trips, It's going to be rough letting this old fart go after 5 years of great times, but i need something more suited for my needs now, back when i first got this truck in high school it wasn't a problem because it was back and forth to school and occasionally off into some mud holes or booney crashing some where, but now its rough getting around in it with a passenger and 2 dogs

I'm just curious about the old Commando's, I just started researching them recently, and I'm just wondering how reliable these old jeeps are, and what are common problems, what would you have to upgrade, what is a heap of garbage and what is good about them

I will turn it into some what of a project, I would like to set it up for some off roading but nothing serious like extreme rock crawling or anything, more like a slight lift kit maybe run 33's at most on it and a roll bar, because i will use it for daily driving, and i was thinking of doing a engine swap but that's if it is needed

I kinda want to do a set up for a good DD and something I can go off roading in, and maybe be able to do some highway driving

any info helps, even motor transmission combos and transfer case ideas will be great to hear

Mrpatatomoto

Re: maybe going to look into getting an old jeepster

Post by Mrpatatomoto »

I don't have much info on them, but we were looking at getting one recently and around here everything was overpriced and needed a grand or two put into it. Went to look at 4 or so and never even go to the test drive.

Good luck though, I love the look of them.
1982 Cherokee Chief, 258, T5 , NP208, 3.31, 33" BFG KO2's
32/36 weber, MSD 6a, Core/Hurst Shifter

Topic author
the odd one

Post by the odd one »

well o ver the weekend I saw one on craigslist for 2.5k that was just out right gorgeous, thing looked well taken care of out of cali, and the thing was gone by yesterday, kinda figured

but the only thing that bugs me is I see some cool builds with these but people get rid of the classic look of the front end and put those new noses on it and just kill it, I mean what is the point of getting somethin classic and butchering it by taking away its identity and giving it plastic surgery :cry:

I got some time to find one, and when I do start looking for one I'm just going to have some money put aside and wait for a good opportunity, that's always seemed to work for me working on the car getting certain parts

Mrpatatomoto

Post by Mrpatatomoto »

yeah, that was a deal, we never found one under 3000 and I didnt think it was worth 2000. We actually looked at the newer ones and swapping the old front end on. I dont know why someone would prefer the newer front end.
1982 Cherokee Chief, 258, T5 , NP208, 3.31, 33" BFG KO2's
32/36 weber, MSD 6a, Core/Hurst Shifter

Topic author
the odd one

Post by the odd one »

neither do I, It's like giving it plastic surgery and it end up looking like it had a micheal jackson nose job :lol:

The PIG Smith

Post by The PIG Smith »

the odd one wrote:but the only thing that bugs me is I see some cool builds with these but people get rid of the classic look of the front end and put those new noses on it and just kill it, I mean what is the point of getting somethin classic and butchering it by taking away its identity and giving it plastic surgery :cry:
Jeepsters Commando parts are more scarce and hard to get than any FSJ rig.
My humble advice is when looking for a Commando, get the best one your wallet can stand, for getting a project may very well stay a project.

Allow me to offer an explanation for front end change: The later Commando, the model C104, 1972-73, had a front end treatment to compete with the Ford Bronco.
Most feel consider this new front end was ugly.
I will admit, I think so as well, nasty butt ugly for a Jeep.
SO...folks change the ugly front end to something more stylish, unique, aggressive.

One common front end change that I like is to swap in DJ5 Postal Jeep grill/headlight assembly.
As I understand, it not a bolt in swap, but close to it, a one banana job

The first Commando's, the model C101, 1966-71, has the more Jeep classic Jeep look and feel.
I agree with you, this look should not be messed with.
Some owners want to swap in a V8 and feel the short front end is not large enough for a V8 engine.
It really is and it has been proved many times that a Buick 350 V8 is a bolt in for the Buick 225 odd fire V6.

Here is the place to go for Commando help:
http://jeepstercommandoclub.com/forum/index.php
Bryan Smith
Fort Wayne, Indiana
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
- 75th Anniversary Edition - 1941 Trim Package - Recon Green --Daily Driver
1986 Jeep J20
- Super clean rig from the AZ/CA state line -- Current Project
1982 Jeep J10
- Has become a Long Term Project.
1981 Jeep J20
- Commercial flat bed - Lost in a Divorce --gone
1987 Jeep J20 Pioneer
- Former Rick Bielec aka Ricbee plow rig. Major rust!! --gone

IFSJA Member #1933 Joined November 30, 2001

Topic author
the odd one

Post by the odd one »

thanks for the info Smith, I can kinda see what you mean on the reason they swap them out, but there is a video on youtube were they do an ebay build off and one group had a 69 Commando and literally took the body off and put it onto a completely new completed rolling chasis with a new motor and all the bells and whistles and slapped what looks to me as a rubicon front end on it, I feel like they just destroyed a relic, and felt let down personally

When I start looking for one, my main focus is going to find one with a complete body (lights, light housings, chrome pieces and ect.) , most of the dash and interior parts, and a good chassis, the motor and drivetrain will not be the biggest concern, because I may use a different power plant and drivetrain setup depending on what i get to work with, I just want to keep my eye out for something with a good starting point, even if I got to do some welding and body work

I already know I'm going to get myself in trouble with another odd ball vehicle that will be a hassle getting parts for, but the project part is were I'm going to have fun, the V6 in them some what concerns me, I know they can be good little motors if done right, but also can be a hassle, that"s why I was looking into maybe a motor swap and a new transmission transfer case combo, get something that has more available parts for it, and try and set up a rig for my application, but I first have to get a Commando before I set a solid idea up

but honestly, I love the odd ball stuff, I'm not really into anything new or what everyone else has, I like having a little something different, and an older style Commando would suite me well, beefy looking with a classy look and feel to it

Topic author
the odd one

Post by the odd one »

but for now the best thing I can do is just research and start planning now, never hurts to get a good idea of what you want to do before you get your hands on it :D
just like a rock sculptor before he gets his hands on a big hunk of marble

Jeeptchr

Post by Jeeptchr »

Where are you located? I have 3 71's I'd entertain parting with.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk