cordless impacts

This is a place to share about tools and workspaces

Topic author
HOOT

cordless impacts

Post by HOOT »

Who has a good one from a big box store. Kobalt any good? Their reviews seem to be pretty good. What about Dewalt? I like their corded stuff and the cordless drill I have been beating on for 15 years. Are they still worth the premium price and what type to get. Looks like they have a few varieties in the 1/2 inch , 20 volt models.
I want something to take on road trips with me and use at home as well. I will 1 ripping the suspension out of the F350 this month and the J20 and J10 both get all new suspension parts this winter.
I don't need the absolute best with high cost . I don't want a piece of junk either for $20. 95% of my wrenching time is away from home or well after hours so ru ning to Harbor Freight for a return is out of the question. I want reliability at an affordable price and Kobalt ,300ft lbs, and Dewalt 400ft.lbs, look about right. Dewalt also had another toughting 700ft.lbs. That seems excessive for 1 ton and half ton trucks.
Just a bit confused and looking for real life reviews.
1980 and 81 J20 melding into a 1980 Utility bed J20. Project cancelled and for sale, found a factory truck.
1980 J20 Utility truck. Replaced above project.
1977 Honcho getting turned into a 1977 J20 Gladoncho.
IFSJA Member #4662 Joined March 28, 2003

We're on a road to nowhere.....

Tatsadasayago

Re: cordless impacts

Post by Tatsadasayago »

Last winter I bought the 400Lb DeWalt cordless for my 50-ton wrecker. It was strong enough to pull lug nuts off big trucks if the battery was fully charged and made pulling driveshafts much easier than using an air impact. I used it mainly for U-Joint bolts and it would have enough juice to do 3-4 big rigs before needing a charge.
For our Jeeps, I think it is plenty enough to do lug nuts, U-bolts and suspension fasteners.
I saw quite a few guys running Kobalts and Milwaukee's out on the oil rigs so they must be decent as well.
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

Mrpatatomoto

Post by Mrpatatomoto »

Pretty much all the guys at the shop I work at use Milwaukee's. One guy only uses cordless and doesn't even have any air tools in his box.
1982 Cherokee Chief, 258, T5 , NP208, 3.31, 33" BFG KO2's
32/36 weber, MSD 6a, Core/Hurst Shifter

Topic author
HOOT

Post by HOOT »

I'll have to call and see if the gift card for my anniversary at work will be good for Home Depot. For some reason they were not on the list but Lowes was. I bought some used smaller volt Milwakee stuff and love them but need heavy duty stuff for suspension work

Is there any advantages to the short Dewalt? All the different varieties and piss poor descriptions online had me spinning last night. I'll make atrip to the stores near work and see what real life can turn up also.

Just don't want to buy something this weekend and find out next weekend I should of got the other model and or brand.
1980 and 81 J20 melding into a 1980 Utility bed J20. Project cancelled and for sale, found a factory truck.

SemperFIGuy

Post by SemperFIGuy »

I use my buddy's Dewalt quite a bit, with 2 batteries it has never let me down. If he didn't live so close, it would definitely be on the purchase list .

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

I've been using them for 20 years now and there is a difference in quality but most of the difference is in the batteries. So, that said, the Milwauki was the best I've used but too expensive. The best warranty and bang-for the-buck is Rigid. However, For the shop I use Ryobi because they are a good tool with average batteries at the best price. Dewalt is an Over Priced Black-n-Decker....

hutcho

Post by hutcho »

Hands down milwaukee. I work construction and use milwaukee daily. I have had several different brands including dewalt and its just not the same. Check out cpomilwaukee.com they have refurbished tools there that are considerably less money, and have a year warranty I believe. I have had a hackzall I bought used there and have had 0 issues with it in 2 years. if you buy new the warranty is 3 on the tool and 5 on the batterys. Most places replace the battery regardless though around here, as long as it is under X amount of charges. Not as nice as the rigid warranty but so far mine has outlasted and out performed all the rigids on the job.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Electric impacts are SOOOO nice. Right up there with cordless sawzalls, which I also love :)

And yes, Milwaukee is the best.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

hutcho

Post by hutcho »

Hackzall is the best thing ever if you cut a lot of stuff one handed. Regular sawzall is better if its thicker and ypu can use both hands but for cutting conduit all day and stuff like that you cant beat this thing. I go through twice as many batteries now cause everyone loves to use my saw all the time lol

Mdcptman

Post by Mdcptman »

I have had a Ryobi 1/2" for several years. It doesnt have as much torque as the others but i have used it for everything possible. Even when i dropped both axles to put on the lift kit. If you already have Ryobi batteries, then the wrench itself is only ~$50. But if u need more than 100ft/# torque, then it may not suit your needs.
88 Grand Wagoneer
360/727/208
Edelbrock 2131, non-EGR
Holley 600
Hydroboost
Hedman headers
Dual exhaust
MSD 6A
TFI conversion
Rusty's 2" Add-a-Leaf kit
31 x 10.5 LT15 Goodyear Wrangler Authority Tires
S-10 Steering Box Mod

Quote From Friend's Mom:
"You don't rely on that vehicle do you?"

Jeff from Iowa

Post by Jeff from Iowa »

I use Milwaukee all the time one in the shop one in my race trailer. I had dewalt and snap on prior to these. These get the job done well.

Ingersol Rand is the best though no doubt about it. The 1/2 impact will break off lug studs. I won one of their 3/8 90 cordless impacts and it has as much power as my big Milwaukee 1/2 impact gun. Its incredible. A few other guys won the impact and they said it is too good, it could probably break off our 5/8 studs.
90 Fsj. 5.3, 4l65,241. 4" lift, Custom valved Bilstien 5125 Shocks, Dakota Digital Dash, Bjs Radiator, Bjs aluminum tank,Viper remote start, power door locks, one touch rear window. Ac, Cruise, tow haul all work as they should. Fully restored oem wheels.

SkylinePCG

Post by SkylinePCG »

20v 1/2" Dewalt here. I've been real happy with it. 4th tool I've picked up; started with a hammer drill, then sawzall, and now circular saw too. Our newest vehicle is 14 yrs old, and we just moved into a big, old house. These tools get worked and They've all been excellent.

I'm using the 3.0a/h batteries. The 4.0 batteries would give even more run time, but these almost outlast me and recharge quick.

I use the impct same way you're talking; road trips and driveway work. Wouldnt leave home without it. Makes me feel like part of a nascar pit crew just changin a tire hahaaa

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

https://youtu.be/ZUNXe1ha6aA Best comparison out there.

If your using it in a professional environment get the IR or the Milwaukee.

If your using them for mobility, use the Milwaukee.

If you break tools and like a good warranty get the Milwaukee.

If you just want one for casual wrenching, get whichever is cheapest or works with your existing batteries/tool system.
Gabe, "reformed" Jeep hoarder.

letank

Post by letank »

3/8 milwaukee 18v here.... pull crankshaft bolt out of automatic asian engine without an hesitation, as well as other idiotic home improv such as garage door springs...
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

GaJeep94YJ

Post by GaJeep94YJ »

How are the rigid?

I'd love to be able to swap barriers with the rest of my tools

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

If you've got the ridgids already and like them it should serve you well.
Gabe, "reformed" Jeep hoarder.

MadMax78

Post by MadMax78 »

My brother-in-law gave me a dewalt for Christmas. I tried it on the Cherokee's lug nuts and it zipped them right off. So far so good. :-bd
MadMax78

78 Cherokee S, Wide Track, 360, TH400, Quadra Trac, TAD's SOA, 35" BFG KM2, Edelbrock Carb & Intake, MSD Coil & Ignition

Topic author
HOOT

Post by HOOT »

I ended up with a DeWalt EX 20 volt. Sure looks perty in the box.. Hope to giv see it work out when the rain stops.

az chip

Post by az chip »

Just got a Milwaukee. Just spun those old nuts right off. Used it taking off the bumpers and wheels. Great product.
'81 Cherokee Chief 81 WT Chief/MSD 6/Holley Sniper/ Rusty 4" Spring lift/ Bulltear oil adapter/K&P Engineering Oil Filter/ NP 208/ Serehill Light Harness/KC LED Headlights/ Evil Twin Fab Roof Rack and sliders/ Ross mirror mounts.

BRUTUS

Post by BRUTUS »

put me in the Milwaukee (28.8V) camp. It has never let me down.
'74 J30 with some upgrades