Rubicon Trail Summer 2017

FSJ Related Events in the Mountain Time Zone

Topic author
BRUTUS

Rubicon Trail Summer 2017

Post by BRUTUS »

I'm posting this in the mountain forum specifically to see if anyone would like to plan a trip from the mountain region to the Rubicon. I have cross posted a link in the Pacific forum as they may also be interested and so that this is the main thread... hopefully.

So I have been interested in doing the Rubicon trail for quite a while now, I am not getting any younger, the Bahamas trip is having some logistical snags, and my tow rig, trailer, and Brutus are in good shape as of now so I figure there is no time like the present to do this. Kevin (BigJ200) is running it with some Idaho folks this year for Jeepers Jamboree... So I was thinking, what if we planned a trip for summer 2017 to run the Rubicon? How many folks from Colorado/Utah/Arizona/Idaho could we get lured in? I know Blake is already "in" without asking as we have talked about this being on each of our bucket lists. I also wanted to get this started before the Ouray trip this year so it can be a topic of "agave discussion." My ideal plan is to put a fifth wheel hitch in the back of my tow rig and then tow Blake's 90' trailer behind it with both our rigs to save on gas. Not sure if Blake is going to sell that trailer between now and this trip though.

It sounds like there are a few FSJN members that live in the area that can chime in with specific details.

Where can we park tow rigs?
Lockers and winches are probably preferred equipment but not absolutely necessary.
CB and/or HAM radio communication recommended
Any park fees or abnormal California regulations we should know about?
As far as I know, it is tent camping only on the trail.
As far as I know, it takes around a week to complete so bring spare parts with you. I know I have a bunch with me!
Kevin mentioned that he would rather run it with a smaller group than Jeepers Jamboree and I tend to agree... so that timeframe is out of the question.
Are there times of the year/summer that are better than others?

Wiki page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rubicon_Trail

This site has a ton of information as well as a calendar which we should probably register with once we choose dates http://www.rubicontrail.org/

So who's interested?
'74 J30 with some upgrades

AwesomeJ10

Re: Rubicon Trail Summer 2017

Post by AwesomeJ10 »

Yes, count me in! My only concern is that I would rather push this up towards Springtime in an effort to escape the heat.

I dunno much about the actual trail and associated regulations though.

will e

Post by will e »

I would be willing to give it a shot.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Should be a fun trip. I would never take my J10 on it, but would gladly rock the JK. The Rubicon is not full size friendly (meaning longer wheelbase like a truck). And I just don't feel like beating it up on a trail like that. Rocker protection is a must, I really advise diff guards. A rear locker is advisable, a tight limited slip would suffice in most cases if you have flexy suspension.

As for how long, depends on your vehicle. I have friends that do the full thing in a day. But they are in JK's on 37's and know the trail very well.

Several places you can camp. A fire permit is required if you want a fire, and even then there are times of year that does not allow for camp fires at all. Earlier in the summer is better for this. But too early, and there may be snow. Some of the guys that keep up the trail on Pirate know which times are best to go.

Oh, and the Jeepers Jamboree is a mad house, stay away.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
BRUTUS

Post by BRUTUS »

will e wrote:I would be willing to give it a shot.
Awesome... and will you be bringing any salsa with you?
Blake wrote:Yes, count me in! My only concern is that I would rather push this up towards Springtime in an effort to escape the heat.

Hopefully the locals will chime in but I am under the impression that the heat is not that bad there in the summer time because of the elevation and all the trees. Keep in mind there are also streams and lakes to take a dip in along the way!

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

BRUTUS wrote:
will e wrote:I would be willing to give it a shot.
Awesome... and will you be bringing any salsa with you?
Blake wrote:Yes, count me in! My only concern is that I would rather push this up towards Springtime in an effort to escape the heat.

Hopefully the locals will chime in but I am under the impression that the heat is not that bad there in the summer time because of the elevation and all the trees. Keep in mind there are also streams and lakes to take a dip in along the way!
Yeah it doesn't get real hot. Unless 80-85F is hot for you. Expect lows in the lower 40's at night.
2017 JKU Rubicon

Topic author
BRUTUS

Post by BRUTUS »

Stuka wrote:Yeah it doesn't get real hot. Unless 80-85F is hot for you. Expect lows in the lower 40's at night.
That is exactly what I was thinking. So Stuka, wanna join us in your JK? I'm bringing my full bodied FSJ!

I figure that if we plan for a week we can take our time and "FSJ-it" rather than racecar it. It will also allow some time if there are breakdowns on the trail.

derf

Post by derf »

I'll be hitting the Rubicon Trail early this fall with my local Jeep club.

Depending on the timing, you might could talk me into going again in 2017.
W0JPR

Check out my gear ratio calculator

If you can't fix it with a hammer or duct tape you have an electrical problem.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

BRUTUS wrote:
Stuka wrote:Yeah it doesn't get real hot. Unless 80-85F is hot for you. Expect lows in the lower 40's at night.
That is exactly what I was thinking. So Stuka, wanna join us in your JK? I'm bringing my full bodied FSJ!

I figure that if we plan for a week we can take our time and "FSJ-it" rather than racecar it. It will also allow some time if there are breakdowns on the trail.
I like your optimism with the "If" there are breakdowns :P

I am definitely considering going. Its not much of a drive for me at all. Need to make a few additions to the Jeep first, but plenty of time for that.

As far as time, 2 days is the norm, three if you really take your time. If you want a trail that takes a week, take a look into the Dusy Ershim trail.
2017 JKU Rubicon

AwesomeJ10

Post by AwesomeJ10 »

Stuka - bring your J10. Period. who cares if it gets a little scuffed up. Bring it.

You have a year to build! :fsj:

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Blake wrote:Stuka - bring your J10. Period. who cares if it gets a little scuffed up. Bring it.

You have a year to build! :fsj:
Nope. I am done taking it on trails outside of fire roads. If that means its a pavement pounder, so be it. but no longer going to tear it up.

Plus I have no interest in trying to squeeze it between a rock and a hard place (literally)
2017 JKU Rubicon

AwesomeJ10

Post by AwesomeJ10 »

Well you can't say I didn't TRY to get your to bring your FSJ!

It will be good to finally meet ya!

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

The trail is difficult with a full size rig if you value the sheet metal. I took my 75 Ramcharger through there several years ago for trail cleanup and managed to go all the way to South Shore with one rocker dent and a pretzeled front drive shaft. Lockers are very nice but you can do just fine with PowrLoks and 33s if you are an experienced rock-crawler.

There is usually plenty of parking at Loon lake if you get there on Thursdays between big events.
There is an Amateur 2m repeater on 146.805 -.600 PL123.0 KA6GWY. Best for the west side and for contacting stations in the Sacramento valley.
The Tahoe side uses 143.50/146.205 Rx PL 123.0 KA6GWY and is linked to the ELD 805 Tahoe repeater.
While on the trail, 146.805 simplex works good for talking to your group using low power yet allows you to monitor the repeater.
There is 440 available on 444.9875 +5.00 PL156.7, 444.9875 +5.00 PL 107.2 and the repeater output at 444.9875 simplex, PL107.2. My experience with the 440 side has never been very good until getting up on top where line of sight is improved.
146.52 simplex is another option for small groups wishing to avoid the congestion.

As far as camping goes, I usually tent overnight at the Springs if it's not filled up.

A few more things to mention: It's advisable to bring a large burlap sack or heavy bag for collecting cans and trash on the trail. No how much effort is put into keeping the trail clean there are always a ton of fools throwing trash and cans around.
Personal sanitation--There is no 'pooping' in the woods allowed and the Forest Circus frowns upon it.
No steel whip antennas--a safety factor.
Alcohol and drugs--Yes, you can get a DUI/DWI on the trail and LEOs do cover the entire trail.
Medical--I hate to say this, but the chances of someone getting hurt are very high. I carry an ALS kit with me and have had to use my skills the last 15-20 times. Stupid is very strong at times, especially on holiday weekends. Medevac is available and the response time is usually within the hour for severe trauma cases but be prepared for a long wait otherwise. There are several LZs along the trail and the pilots know them well.
Firearms--Best if not seen and even better if not heard.

Enough of the serious stuff.

I would suggest out-of-state visitors check the trail info right up to your time of departure. It would suck to get out here and find out it's closed.
In the event you arrive and it's closed or over-run, there is a nearby alternative trail: The Fordyce, which is a tougher run in my experience.

I won't take my FSJ farther than the slabs (Prissy Jeep Club) but would be willing to act as a shotgun/guide and spotter should one of you be inclined.

Jim
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

Renodemona

Post by Renodemona »

Rubicon is very pretty and definitely not too hot. I'm not going to take my FSJ through it, mostly because I'm not willing/able to invest in the goodies to make it capable enough to handle that kind of abuse. The trail is 2-3 days so if people want to do other not so demanding runs before/after I am down.
"Wait, what's on fire!?" KJ7TCT
--------------------------------------------------------------
1976 Cherokee w/t 'Susan' 401/TH400/QT(PT)
FiTech Go EFI, Edelbrock Performer intake
3" Rough Country Springs, HEI Dizzy
-------------------------------------------------------------
2018 Cherokee Trailhawk V6 'Sedna'

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

Yes, regarding the temps, even in mid-summer aren't too bad. The dusty is the bigger problem, but nothing that can't be remedied with a wash cloth and cold refreshing beverage.
I've found the best times to go are in the spring after the trail dries out and late September/early October when the temps are nice and the trail isn't so busy.
Last year the fires were kinda bad and that ruined many people's plans.
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

glake

Post by glake »

I'll be leaving for the Rubicon the 17th of next month. This will be my first trip, hopefully not the last. Taking the LJ.
1970 Jeep Gladiator: Daily Driver!
1963 Jeep Wagoneer: In progess
1972 Jeep Wagoneer: waiting in the wings

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

I'd be in for late June very early July 2017. But I can't tear up my rig so I'd be a passenger, photographer, wrench turner on the trail.
Gabe, "reformed" Jeep hoarder.

derf

Post by derf »

I'll probably have an open passenger seat in the JK if you need it.

Truck Norris may be too much for the Rubicon Trail to handle. I don't want to break it for everyone else. ;)
W0JPR

Check out my gear ratio calculator

If you can't fix it with a hammer or duct tape you have an electrical problem.

AwesomeJ10

Post by AwesomeJ10 »

Nikkormat wrote:I'd be in for late June very early July 2017. But I can't tear up my rig so I'd be a passenger, photographer, wrench turner on the trail.
you could probably ride in the Honcho: help me replace leaf springs and driveshafts on the trail cause they will all become twisted.

Sounds like Jason is offering to tow Bobs trailer up there. We will need to weld a GN plate into his truck though. It will be EPIC to have two big J10s on that thing. :fsj:

Topic author
BRUTUS

Post by BRUTUS »

Blake wrote:
Nikkormat wrote:I'd be in for late June very early July 2017. But I can't tear up my rig so I'd be a passenger, photographer, wrench turner on the trail.
you could probably ride in the Honcho: help me replace leaf springs and driveshafts on the trail cause they will all become twisted.

Sounds like Jason is offering to tow Bobs trailer up there. We will need to weld a GN plate into his truck though. It will be EPIC to have two big J10s on that thing. :fsj:
Don't forget about BigJ200's J-truck as well! I think it would be cool just to see a bunch of old non-standard jeeps on there!

I am going to work on getting a GN installed in the Dodge. I think it only makes sense.