Balencer

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
candymancan

Balencer

Post by candymancan »

Questiin.. as i was fixing my radiator today. Noticed my balencer is starting to get the rubber pull out.. only like 1.3 of an inch so far so not too bad.. but do you guys know of any good balencers to replace it ? On my 5.9 ZJ They dont make seperate balencer and pulley brackets anymore and they are one peice.. it causes balencing issues..

Im hoping the. amc isnt the same. Id like to replace this sooner then later.. might as well do my chain and water pump as well.

How do you replace the chains on these carbed vehicles.. do i need to pull out the distributor.. or can i just pulled the cover off. Replace the chain as the old one was positioned with the timing dots on the sprockets linee up by turning the crank manually. like i did my 4.0 and 5.9 zj
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

Tatsadasayago

Re: Balencer

Post by Tatsadasayago »

You can source a used balancer from a salvage yard. RockAuto has the Dorman balancer for a reasonable price if you prefer a new one.
http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php ... 94&jsn=402

The rubber protruding from between the hub and ring is fairly common and not altogether harmful until the outer ring begins to move and slip. Having had one come off at freeway speeds was a bit spooky and sounded like the engine had pitched a rod.

The timing chain is a fairly involved project since everything has to come off the front of the engine. The oil pan even needs to be loosened to get the timing cover back on without leaking...so often it's a good idea to drop the pan and replace the gasket and end seals, and then it's a good time to replace the rear main seal since yer there and...
I think you get the drift.

It's common to roll the engine over until the timing marks are facing each other ie; cam gear mark at 6:00 and crank gear mark at 12:00. Confirm that the #6 piston is at TDC, replace the chain and gears, then roll the engine over 180 degrees to TDC.
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation