No start diagnosis

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Skerrvydog

No start diagnosis

Post by Skerrvydog »

Hey guys,
Guy I know has this 83 Wagoneer that ran on Friday and now won't turn over. Backfiring through carb. See video. Any thoughts on cause? Thanks!https://vimeo.com/179650185
79 Wagoneer - "Sally" - Work in progress
((SOLD))87 Grand Wagoneer - "Benjamin Brown, Plow Dog": The brown helps disguise the rust.
99 XJ Cherokee - "Jack" - DD

FSJ Guy

Re: No start diagnosis

Post by FSJ Guy »

Did the distributor gear bite the dust? Remove the distributor cap and verify that the rotor is moving correctly. If so, then verify correct timing. It is more common for the distributor gear to get chewed up than for the timing chain to have jumped.
Ethan Brady

http://www.bigscaryjeep.com

Jeepless, but I still have a lots of old parts in my garage!

Bigbadjeep

Post by Bigbadjeep »

Been there! Check the gear! Mine was worn from replacing the distributor, and not removing the old gear first. Got aanother distributor, with the correct gear cut. And dropped it in good to go. Some say you should change the cam gear to match. But I did not and it's been 20k miles since, no problems! Good luck!
1984 J10
360, 727, Amc20, 44 Up front
Thorly tri Y, Edelbrock Manifold, Cam, and Carb
Skyjacker 4" Softride, 35×12.50 BFG Mud

Topic author
Skerrvydog

Post by Skerrvydog »

Unfortunately I will never get to diagnose or fix this , I was looking at buying this on a Sunday, by the time I replied Tuesday morning it was already gone. Oh well! Good luck to the next guy.
79 Wagoneer - "Sally" - Work in progress
((SOLD))87 Grand Wagoneer - "Benjamin Brown, Plow Dog": The brown helps disguise the rust.
99 XJ Cherokee - "Jack" - DD