Headliner straightening question

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
letank

Headliner straightening question

Post by letank »

After pulling the headliners to change the fabric, I noticed the extra bow in the middle of the cardboard... yes there was a shallow valley in the roof as somebody probably stepped on the roof and bent the roof supports, supports were corrected, it is all flat now.

I have sprayed the offending cardboard section with some water for a few days and applying some pressure... it has been 3 days of checking, a little progress report...

before
BowedHeadliner.jpg
and on-going
DebowingHeadlinerP2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

devildog80

Re: Headliner straightening question

Post by devildog80 »

Wish mine was in that good shape when it came home. Glad you have one that is workable.
'81 CJ5 Base, 258 I6, MC2100, T176 4 spd, 300 TC, D30 Front NT, 3.31, 2-Piece AMC 20 rear NT, 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift
'84 Grand Wagoneer, 401 V8 (.030 over), Edelbrock clone 1406, 727 auto, Selec-trac NP229, AMC 20 REAR - D44 FRONT - WT 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift
Rather be driving, than waiting to be modified

Topic author
letank

Post by letank »

After a few soaking, I suspect that the wood backing is soaking up the water. I used a closed foam backing with some sprayed water and it seems to be better
BendingHeadlinerDSL.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michel

devildog80

Post by devildog80 »

Mine was cooked so bad it literally came apart in chunks when trying to salvage it out of the truck. Good work there.
'81 CJ5 Base, 258 I6, MC2100, T176 4 spd, 300 TC, D30 Front NT, 3.31, 2-Piece AMC 20 rear NT, 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift
'84 Grand Wagoneer, 401 V8 (.030 over), Edelbrock clone 1406, 727 auto, Selec-trac NP229, AMC 20 REAR - D44 FRONT - WT 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift
Rather be driving, than waiting to be modified

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

I posted two videos when I refurbished my J10 headliner. It was the most brittle one that Ive worked with but it came out better than what it was. I like to reseal the cardboard with Fiberglass resin. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mxe0u3FC2M

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

I posted two videos when I refurbished my J10 headliner. It was the most brittle one that Ive worked with but it came out better than what it was. I like to reseal the cardboard with Fiberglass resin. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mxe0u3FC2M

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

My '84 Wag's was sagging. I soaked it in the pool for a few hours then put some weights on it an let it dry in the sun with little improvement to my disbelief.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Topic author
letank

Post by letank »

Headliner is almost good, has not returned to previous shape after releasing the clamp.

Headliner was clamped for about 3 days until the cardboard was dry.
Michel

69gladiator

Post by 69gladiator »

The rear section of my headliner had a noticeable belly in it. I dampened it and bowed it in the opposite direction, using weight plates. I then glued some 3/16" wood strips on the backside. With all that done, there is still a slight belly in it. If i did it again, Id try laying a band or two of fiberglass and resin on the backside in an attempt to hold the headliner flatter. Or.. maybe glass in the wood strips.

I used resin to stiffen up the front corners of the headliner near the visor mounting point. It really worked well solidifying the frayed corners.

Topic author
letank

Post by letank »

69gladiator wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 5:58 am The rear section of my headliner had a noticeable belly in it. I dampened it and bowed it in the opposite direction, using weight plates. I then glued some 3/16" wood strips on the backside. With all that done, there is still a slight belly in it. If i did it again, Id try laying a band or two of fiberglass and resin on the backside in an attempt to hold the headliner flatter. Or.. maybe glass in the wood strips.

I used resin to stiffen up the front corners of the headliner near the visor mounting point. It really worked well solidifying the frayed corners.
Yes, I missed the bowed in my rear section as well, but I can live with it, now that it is back.

the strangest part was that I also reinforced the corner piece by the sunvisor, but upon mounting the passenger side was not aligned,
AlmostLinedUpHeadlinerDSL.jpg

so I had to reach under the unglued fabric ( I used staples) and cut a piece of the cardboard, now it fits
Michel