Source for 76' J20 Power Steering Pump

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Alleycat

Source for 76' J20 Power Steering Pump

Post by Alleycat »

My 76' J20 V8 360 original steering pump box is leaking like crazy. From what I've read, replacing pump (and possibly pulley too) is a better option than rebuilding. Is there a reliable source for a properly fitting pump through Rock Auto, Auto Zone or through any of the usual suspects? I want a bolt up and go option and prefer not to buy something that requires me to modity bracket, ect to get a replacement to fit properly. I've found that many of the parts that I've bought from those stores simply don't fit. Any recommedations appreciated on where best to get one.
1976 J20 w/ 360

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: Source for 76' J20 Power Steering Pump

Post by Stuka »

I have had good luck getting them from Napa over the years. Though its been a few since I last got one.

My experience with RockAuto has been great. I like that they list the brand and such of the parts. So you can avoid the cheaper chinese parts.

Just be sure to get one that matches your PS lines. A '76 should used flared fittings from the factory. Later FSJs used o-ring style fittings.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

My understanding - the flared fitting and o-ring pumps are the same. To use the o-ring high pressure line, there is an adapter that threads into the flare fitting on the pump. Low pressure side is a nipple for a length of PS-fluid-compatible hose and a hose clamp, and the same for both.

These pumps were a commodity item sourced from GM Saginaw by Jeep. The best way to ensure you get the right part is to look up the original part number in the Jeep Corp parts book, and buy a pump that claims to be a verbatim replacement of that part number. I looked it up and did not find a match online. However, there are several options on RockAuto. You can buy the pump with the reservoir (the ham can) or without. There are also press-on pulleys and bolt-on pulleys (the hub type). You will pay a premium price at NAPA, but they should help you match the hub type and advise on changing the pulley. There are pullers meant for the press-on pulleys, if you want to DIY it. A local shop would probably change the pulley for you (give them a twenty) or maybe your NAPA store will help.

First post! Welcome from Boston.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
Alleycat

Post by Alleycat »

Thanks for the great info. I'm going to try my NAPA store and see how that works out. Picking away at my rig one thing at a time. Unbolted both manifolds to install new exhaust and installed D.U.I Ignition and wires and set timomg today which made an enormous difference. My oil pressure even improved. Best $300 on parts I could have spent.
1976 J20 w/ 360

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Alleycat wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 5:58 pm Thanks for the great info. I'm going to try my NAPA store and see how that works out. Picking away at my rig one thing at a time. Unbolted both manifolds to install new exhaust and installed D.U.I Ignition and wires and set timomg today which made an enormous difference. My oil pressure even improved. Best $300 on parts I could have spent.
Awesome! :fsj:
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ