Headlight Switch Questions

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Jeepin' Pete

Headlight Switch Questions

Post by Jeepin' Pete »

I’ve been having an issue where my rear running lights and dash lights don’t turn on with my headlights. I’ve read that a lot of things run through the headlight switch so I’m trying to take it out to clean and test it. Can anyone tell me how to remove the switch from the dash panel?

I removed the heater duct from below this section of the dash, but there still isn’t much room to get up behind. And the two switches below just pry out from the front. But I can’t seem to get the headlight switch and also the dimmer out to clean and test.

Thanks in advance!
1990 Grand Wagoneer
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=16762

Topic author
Jeepin' Pete

Re: Headlight Switch Questions

Post by Jeepin' Pete »

I haven’t worked on the Wagoneer in a while and always forget that the P.O. had a digital copy of the service manual. For anyone curious, here’s what I found:

Looks like I have to pry the upper tabs up and the lower tabs down to remove the headlight switch and the dimmer switch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1990 Grand Wagoneer
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=16762

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

I would not be surprised if you need to pull the cluster out of the dash to reach the tabs. It's not terribly difficult on the earlier models; not sure about the later panel.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

sirrus
Vendor

Post by sirrus »

It can be done without pulling the cluster on later models, I’ve done it twice but it is not worth it :) you need to have small hands and maneuver your way from below (where drivers portion of AC duct would be) and be able to navigate your hand there without seeing anything

Easier to get the cluster out, then pull interior light switch and then the headlight switch.
Sometimes we reinvent the wheel not to have more wheels but to have more inventors

1988 Grand Wagoneer - AMC 360 with ProFlo4 MPFI, TF727, NP229 FOR SALE
2021 JLU Willys EcoDiesel - new shiny toy

Anvil-3

Post by Anvil-3 »

tgreese wrote:I would not be surprised if you need to pull the cluster out of the dash to reach the tabs. It's not terribly difficult on the earlier models; not sure about the later panel.
This suddenly answers why my dash is pulled out and headlight switches are in a zip lock bag! Thanks, I’ll be subbed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1989 Grand Wagoneer - under the knife

The PIG Smith

Post by The PIG Smith »

Sorry for bringing this post back from the grave, but while researching, I ran across this posting.
I have the very same issue.
My J20's running lights (some folks call those parking lights) and instrument cluster lights are not working.
However, I do have turn signals, brake lights and headlights.
I have checked and replace the fuses...no issues there.

My question are to the original poster, Jeepin' Pete:
1. Were you able to get the headlight switch out without removing the dash?
2. Was the headlight switch the cause of your lighting issue?
3. If not, did you discover what the issue was?
Bryan Smith
Fort Wayne, Indiana
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
- 75th Anniversary Edition - 1941 Trim Package - Recon Green --Daily Driver
1986 Jeep J20
- Super clean rig from the AZ/CA state line -- Current Project
1982 Jeep J10
- Has become a Long Term Project.
1981 Jeep J20
- Commercial flat bed - Lost in a Divorce --gone
1987 Jeep J20 Pioneer
- Former Rick Bielec aka Ricbee plow rig. Major rust!! --gone

IFSJA Member #1933 Joined November 30, 2001

killerinstinct

Post by killerinstinct »

FYI - My 86 GW had the same running light issues not working and fog lights would not work. I figured out that if I pushed the headlight switch to the left when I turn them on everything would work. Eventually I had to remove the instrument bezel and trim and remove the radio and ac/heater unit to get behind the gauge cluster remove the speedo wire and other wires to be able to remove the gauge cluster and finally remove the headlight switch without breaking anything. This fixed the issue and just reversed everything to put it back on. When removing the bezel/trim I suggest using mini pick to pry from the right to the left gently as there are 4 clips at the top and 4 on the bottom which pop out. Be Gentle and it will come off fine.