Quadra-Trac Chain Replacement

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Alleycat

Quadra-Trac Chain Replacement

Post by Alleycat »

I continue to work through baselining all the serviceable items on my J20 w/ 360. When changing the lube in my Quadratrac and low range case, I found that the chain has an enormous amount of slack in it. I can't believe its not jumping the teeth on the sprockets. Clearly it's time for a new chain from BJ's. According to Jubilee I can replace the chain without removing the entire transfer case. Is this as straight forward as I'm reading on the Jubilee site? Sounds like I just drain low range case and transfer case, then remove low range case, then transfer case cover, replace chain and reseal and re-install case covers and refill.

I realize that there's always more to it but are there any land mines waiting for me or tips that anyone can offer up before I dive in to this? Thanks
1976 J20 w/ 360

letank

Re: Quadra-Trac Chain Replacement

Post by letank »

Get the TSM to understand the whole process from Tom's site

https://oljeep.com/edge_parts_man.html

a lift is helpful, otherwise on a level area, put the truck wheels on wood blocks 4x4 are good, 6x6 better, but secure the truck so it does not slide off the blocks, very wise in earthquake prone area!

The tricky part being the reinstallation of the low range, there is a big washer called slip ring that need to be aligned and a few bolts that are hard to remove on top of the TC when starting... it is still a bit heavy to handle while laying on your back!

I have it done twice... on my back!
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Never done a chain replacement. However, I have pulled a few transfer cases. Is it that much easier to split the case and leave the front half in the Jeep? I would be inclined to pull the low range and case as a unit, and do the job on the bench. Or remove the low range, remove the case, assemble on the bench and put back as a unit.

I would use my jack stands and put it up high on four stands. This is straightforward with a live axle vehicle. Leave the wheels on and put something under the truck so you won't be crushed in an extremely unlikely earthquake. Maybe a large tire and wheel, or cribbing built from scrap lumber.

Project Farm has a video testing jack stands. JMO - buy jack stands that are rated many times higher than the weight of the Jeep. Note that jack stands' weight rating is for a pair of stands. Four stands rated at 6 tons will support 24,000 lbs.

I also have this Harbor Freight transmission jack. Works well, except that it's taller than I'd like when lowered. I removed the T-18 and NP208 from my J20 using this jack with the truck high enough on jackstands to clear the lowered jack and transmission.

https://www.harborfreight.com/automotiv ... 60234.html
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Srdayflyer

Post by Srdayflyer »

imo, i'd pull the whole unit and bench inspect it, i wouldnt step over a dollar to pick up a penny, you may find other things wrong, i do know there are a lot of bud lite cans out there made from power windowed quad cases (chain blowout)and they are getting hard to come by, i am lucky i have a 208 setup jmo

Dusty

Post by Dusty »

I personally would pull the whole thing down, and go through it.
Seal kits are cheep enough, and a good practice to replace them at the same time.

There could be land mines waiting? Only way to know is to pull it and look.
I would hate to spend the money on a chain only to have the tc go bad because you did not inspect the whole thing prior to new installing a new chain.
Everything you could possibly want to know about the TC is on Flints old site (jubilee Jeeps).

I don't know where you are located at, but if in the AZ or SOCAL area there are a few of us that actually have the factory service tool kits. Most of those that have them would be happy to help you if you are local I am sure?
If God is your co-pilot, you need to switch seats!

Topic author
Alleycat

Post by Alleycat »

Thanks for all of the feedback and thanks for the offer of factory tools Dusty. Unfortunatly I'm about as far away from you as you can get and still be on the continent. Sullivans Island, SC. Looking at the Atlantic Ocean as I write this. I'm going to dive in get er' done.
1976 J20 w/ 360

Dusty

Post by Dusty »

Well keep us updated on your progress.
I know years ago Flint (Mr Quadratrac), tore into a whole bunch of TCs only to find almost everyone had some sort of problem.
Not sure the thread on here?
If you do run into bad parts, always try to go with new.
But if you can't find them, then post up here and we'll see if I might have some in my QT stash.
If God is your co-pilot, you need to switch seats!

Topic author
Alleycat

Post by Alleycat »

Will Do - thanks
1976 J20 w/ 360