86 Grand Wagoneer SRT8 6.4L Hemi Build

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Topic author
steelponycowboy

86 Grand Wagoneer SRT8 6.4L Hemi Build

Post by steelponycowboy »

Well might as well get this party started.

Bought an rust free AZ 86 GW from the 2nd owner, a retired ASE Master Mechanic who had it for the last 30+ years.

Now it isn't pretty, he used it for desert exploring and hunting mostly and the wood grain is almost faded to the point it matches the paint in some areas, there is an ugly steel roof rack on top, the drivers leather is not the best as most, the passenger seat is so so as is the rear seat. The dash however is perfect as it has been protected by one of those carpet dash mats for years. The carpet from the rear seats forward is surprising in very nice shape and was protected by HD floor mats for as long as he owned it. The headliner is shot but the cardboard is perfect. The door panels and rear panels are all firm and just need a good cleaning. The price, just $5000 on Craigslist. I was the first to call within an hour of posting it, drove 2 hours to Tucson from Phoenix and bought it after the test drive.

It's a shame that I'm going to ditch the drivetrain as the motor I was told had a complete rebuild about 5 years ago and has about 20K miles on it as well as tranmission and transfer case updates. The AMC360 has a Holly 4bbl manifold and carb. MSI Ignition. The axles both have TrueTrack lockers in them with the front axle haveing lock out hubs. But, this is my 8th FSJ and I know how weak the engines are, lack of HP and poor MPG. Yeah, lots are going to LS swaps because they are cheap to do but for me, I want to keep it MOPAR so the only choice was Hemi, 8speed auto and a modern Xfer case.

My original thought was Hell Cat. Yeah, I'm a crazy old fart but I used to race TransAms in the 80s and still from time to time have the need for speed. But my son (S and M Performance Parts, York, PA) who races a 900+ HP Challenger with twin turbos and specializes in MOPAR performance and Hemi swaps convinced me the work to install the plumbing for the intercooler and such was going to add a bit of expense PLUS there goes my MPG. So a 6.4L SRT Hemi was the final decision. Nearly 500HP with some minor adds and still will work with the VVT/MDS system for superior MPG with the 8HP75 tranny over the AMC360.

So while I'm getting things ready here in AZ, he's been sourcing me a low mileage Hemi and found one with just 800 miles on it out of a 2023 SRT Dakota. How lucky can one get. Before I put it on a truck and send it to him, I'm doing a few things myself.

Removed the funky roof rack. It gets a brownish/bronze Rhino Linings coating on the roof, rocker panels and the radiator support (I hate cleaning the paint with the amount of dead bugs that brick of a front end seems to attract. The 80s grill will be out in favor of either a Razor Grill or a Rhino Grill (I have the 63 Rhino Grill hanging in my garage). I'd like to send it to PA with round headlights and the grill already done.

The faux wood trim that edges the 3M wood grain panels has been removed, that wasn't hard at all. The wood grain is another story and is going to take sometime with probably 20 or more rubber wheels. I've replaced all the window wipes inner and outer including the tailgate. As with many FSJs, the windows are a little slow and while some of that may be the "felt" guides, they are also old and tired. I'm seriously considering replacing all the motors and mechanisims on the door windows with modern parts which are much more reliable than the original plastc tracks. The door locks also all work but are slow. Needless to say, a trip to Amazon and I found exact replacements for little money, just have to pull the panels and replace this coming weekend. Have the new window guide for the tailgate window that mounts in the roof and hopefully that will keep it from trying to go up at an angle and sticking (the current felt guide is mostly missing due to heat and UV damage). I've never had much luck with the rear glass in my past FSJs and might have to take to an "expert".

Interior wise, the door panels have cleaned up nicely and I replaced the door straps with new ones from Team Grand Wagoneer. The armrests are going to be sprayed with SEM vinyl spray to look new as there just aren't too many options out there. I did order a Dakota Digital dash that looks like the factory but has modern touches. In addition to the Dakota dash I ordered a number of options like the dimmer, OBD port & harness and few other modules. I'm going to have TPMS, GPS and Compass and Temp options like my Gladiator (not the FSJ Glad).

I've ordered a set of Rockslide Engineering Step Sliders that I've seen used on a couple of SEMA builds and have to figure out how to install them on the GW. I've had these on my last three Wranglers and my Gladiator and love how easy it is to get into a lifted Jeep. Speaking of lifted, I'm looking at either a 4 or 6 inch lift. Thinking 4" with 33" Falkens or 6" with 35" Falken Hybrids.

The roof is going to get a Rhino Rack Pioneer Rack with a bunch of options and across the roof will get a Diode Dynamics SS5 PRO Crosslink 8 Pod light bar thowing out 97000 lumens/170,000 Candela. I have not made a final decision on wheels yet but I have time to decided that.

Electronics wise at Garmin Tread XL Overland GPS, Midland MXT575 GMRS and a Yaesu FTM400 dual band ham radio.

Besides the modern Hemi set up, I think I'll convert to hydro-boost brakes and convert the AC and Heat to a Restomod Air Haymaker S system. New custom alumimum radiator and SteerSmarts HD steering components. An Optima Battery Yellow Top dual battery set up will provide power to everything as will a new wiring harness to get rid of all the 80s and 90s wiring nightmare. Upgraded brakes with a disc conversion in the rear but I first have to change out the AMC 20 axle with either a D44 or a D60 6 bolt set up.

When the mechanical stuff out of the way I'll again turn to the interior and by then have it figured out. The estimate to rebuild the original seats was $2800 which is crazy. Katzkin never has made replacement leather (BJs says they have Katzkin covers but I was told that they seem to be using their name and logo as many do but they are not real Katzkin options for FSJs and never have been. So it's either use another custom seat cover company or perhaps convert to modern 12 way power seats and fab up new brackets for front and rear Grand Cherokee seats. I'll probably go with a new carpet kit and have the headliner recovered.

The outside will get new wood grain and faux wood trim with a custom vinyl mural over the wood grain and new paint everywhere in the same color.

I have an AI produced picture that somewhat shows what my end vision will be.

After all is done then what is the future? Well the plan is to have it on display in the overland experience area at this years SEMA show. After that it the build will be a feature article in the #1 outdoor/overland lifestyle magazine and will for the next two years spend time at major off road shows and Jeep Invasions around the country including Overland Expos and Dayton Beach Jeep Week. In 2025 it will be the lead vehicle in the 3rd Arctic Jeep Expedition, at 12,000 mile plus, 60 day overland adventure crossing the Arctic Circle at least 4 times.

Pictures and such will be posted during the build showing progress.

wimsurf

Re: 86 Grand Wagoneer SRT8 6.4L Hemi Build

Post by wimsurf »

The estimate to rebuild the original seats was $2800 which is crazy. Katzkin never has made replacement leather (BJs says they have Katzkin covers but I was told that they seem to be using their name and logo as many do but they are not real Katzkin options for FSJs and never have been.
The ones BJ sells are real katzkin. however they do not have the raised underleg end upper back cusion part so they really flatten out the seat.

if you don't want to recushion your original seats, and do want a solid position, my advice would be to get some (grand cherokee, 2012 or later) seats, fab everything onto the original mounting points and perhaps upholster it with original corduroy fabric inserts to match the look. (i have my interior rebuild with new leather on dashpad, seats, doorcards, etc and was way above 2800, upholstery is way expensive everywhere) remember that the original seats lack adjustable backs which in the end becomes a pain. i will most likely save my original seats, source some seats from a wk2 grand cherokee, or perhaps a range rover sport and amke them fit one day. they are a bit mroe narrow, which i like, and a lot firmer and comfortable, and they have heating and ventilation to boot!
1984 grand wagoneer
  • topaz gold | deep night blue,
  • AMC 360 v8 | 2019 5.7 hemi,
  • TF727 auto 3 speed | 8hp70 8 speed
  • nutmeg interior | sand or almond interior to be decided
it's a project now:
https://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewto ... 35#p197535

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

steelponycowboy wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:41 pm Besides the modern Hemi set up, I think I'll convert to hydro-boost brakes and convert the AC and Heat to a Restomod Air Haymaker S system. New custom alumimum radiator and SteerSmarts HD steering components. An Optima Battery Yellow Top dual battery set up will provide power to everything as will a new wiring harness to get rid of all the 80s and 90s wiring nightmare. Upgraded brakes with a disc conversion in the rear but I first have to change out the AMC 20 axle with either a D44 or a D60 6 bolt set up.
Putting a D44 in place of the M23 would be a downgrade. I know in AMC cars and CJ's the AMC 20 has a bad reputation due to small, thin tubes and 2-piece axle shafts. But the M23 (Or AMC 20 HD as it was sometimes called) does not have these issue. And its R&P is quite a bit stronger than the D44s.

However, putting a D60 in back would be a nice upgrade considering the power level you will be at. Though it will either need to be custom, or swap out the front axle to match the D60 width. And really, with 474hp, and a lift, I would suggest going with wider axles anyway. A 6" lift with narrow trac axles is really kind of sketchy. You could find WT Cherokee or J-Truck axles if you want to stick with FSJ stuff, or you could go with like a D44/9" from a Bronco if you want to stick with semi-float axles. They will push the tires out of the fenders a bit (The reason WT Cherokee and J-Trucks have fender flares). But are more stable, and would be a good time to put a stronger rear axle in.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Yeller

Post by Yeller »

Going to be a nice build

I second do not put a D44 in the rear. It needs a Dana 60, just for the bearings let alone the ring and pinion.
The bus I ride is so short it is a yellow Smart Car full of squirrels, monkeys and clowns.

1970 J2500 Resto Mod
https://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewt ... 12&t=21395

1974 Bronco “Broncno”
https://classicbroncos.com/forums/threa ... st-3411909