Help Identifying Current Lift

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Laredo Matt

Help Identifying Current Lift

Post by Laredo Matt »

I know little about suspension so will say that up front. I"m starting to learn more as I research but hopefully I'm not creating confusion if I use terms incorrectly etc.

I'm looking for help identifying how much of a current lift I have on my project over stock height. A PO added the lift. I believe it was skyjacker but not certain.

I'm guessing it has a 3-4" based on reading various suspension threads here during research. I'm also running 285/70R17 tires and have plenty of room in the wheel wells.

I don't have much difference on the front end between full droop (22") and at ride height (20"). I've been told by Fox, and several other shops I need at least 4". I've also been told it's likely due to the leaf springs (stiffness, length etc.) or shackles or combination thereof. The rear iss 22" at full droop and 18 3/4" at ride height so appear to be as expected.

Front springs are a 4 leaf pack, rear are 6 leaf. Driving will be 90+ % on road, light fire road for camping etc. no hard off road.

Does anyone have an '83 in stock trim that can measure the distance between shock mounts, center to center of eyelet?

That will give me a good idea on how much lift over stock.

Crown Automotive stock replacement shocks measure "Front Left or Right Shock Absorber; Lengths: 20″ Extended, 12-1/2″ Collapsed; One Eyelet Has a Steel Sleeve through It, Other Eyelet Does Not." I'm guessing that might = a 4" lift but not sure that is how it works.

My current plan is to keep the same lift height but replace the front springs.

Also, If I wanted to go a bit lower on the lift, say 2", if current lift is 3-4" would that have an impact on driveline at all? I'd like the angle on the rear shaft to be a bit less. Would a minimal reduction in lift or even return to stock (not planned would have to replace tires) require a new rear drive shaft.

A few pictures of wheel wells and front springs if useful.

Front full leaf view

Wheel well fitment with 32.7" tires

Matt
83 Cherokee Laredo WT
L8T 6.6L, 6L90
GEN III LS Swap (LM7 block)
4L60E

will e

Re: Help Identifying Current Lift

Post by will e »

Looks like 4". What size tires?
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Topic author
Laredo Matt

Post by Laredo Matt »

Tires are 285/70R17 = ~32.7"
Matt
83 Cherokee Laredo WT
L8T 6.6L, 6L90
4L60E

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Yeah, I say it looks like a 3-4" lift. Unsure of who made the springs. The non-tapered leaves make me think its a rough country 3". But thats kind of just a guess based on these photos.

I like the look of the MR701's on this. I have those in black on my JK, they are my favorite wheel design.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Yeller

Post by Yeller »

Love the wheels. I wouldn’t worry about having to change tires lowering the ride height. Those will fit stock height.
The bus I ride is so short it is a yellow Smart Car full of squirrels, monkeys and clowns.

1970 J2500 Resto Mod
https://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewt ... 12&t=21395

1974 Bronco “Broncno”
https://classicbroncos.com/forums/threa ... st-3411909

Topic author
Laredo Matt

Post by Laredo Matt »

Yeller wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 3:38 pm Love the wheels. I wouldn’t worry about having to change tires lowering the ride height. Those will fit stock height.
Thanks guys.

Big fan of the wheels as well. The design nod to the original steel wheels sealed the deal.

I'm thinking about going with a set of the BJs 2.5" springs all around. I've had folks recommend Deavers to me in the past and have heard really good things about their ride. Glad to see BJs using them.

BJs says the 2.5" lift will accommodate up to 32" tires. I'm close enough and if folks here have run similar size on stock, should be fine for my intended driving purpose.
Matt
83 Cherokee Laredo WT
L8T 6.6L, 6L90
4L60E

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

Could be a 2.5" Rancho lift. The lift is advertised as 2.5 but runs closer to 3-3.5" because it will settle a little over time. Reason I say Rancho is because it has the double wrap main, 3 small leaf's and it has slider bushings. The Cheaper springs dont invest in the extras.