JT Rubi Axles swap into a 1966 J2500

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
omegaswitch

JT Rubi Axles swap into a 1966 J2500

Post by omegaswitch »

Hi All, I'm a long time forum lurker, FSJs noob, and am just staring a project on a 1966 J2500.
She's in rough shape, had some serious modification back around 1980 and has been sitting since then. She still has the original Dana 44 closed knuckle axles. They roll, but everything attached to them needs attention. I've not worked out the full build plan yet, but disc brakes and power steering are pretty high on the list. Looking over options for disc brakes, an axle swap sure sounds like the best way to go. I've been looking for late 70's early 80's dodge w150 44s, but I saw a deal today for some JT 44s. The closed knuckle dana is 67 1/2 inches wide and the JT Rubi axles are 68, so they should be in the same width range. Ok, the suspension is completely different, but that all needs to be replaced either way. And it's a driver side drop instead of a passenger side. I'm not sure how to deal with that. But it's a great axle with high parts availability. Is there a swappable option there, or is this just a pipe dream.
1966 J2500, SBC 350/SM465/RangerTorqueSplitter/Dana 20, Dana 44 small knuckle front/rear.
All the rust in the world, except where it's rotten holes :(