New to forum

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
broughj

New to forum

Post by broughj »

Hello! A few months ago, I reacquired a 1982 J10 short bed. I bought this truck new and drove it until the mid 1990's. By that time, it had become pretty rusty as they all seem to do, but still drove fine. My youngest son started driving it to college and when he graduated and began to make some money, he wanted the truck to restore. So, I gave him the truck and helped him with the restoration that completed 20 years ago. Over the past several years, he has not had the time or space to keep the truck so, I bought it back from him in October.

When it was restored, the axles were changed to J20 axles with 4-wheel disc brakes, a remanufactured 360 (I still have the original 360 in the corner of my shop) was installed, the 727 was rebuilt, add-a-leafs were installed front and rear, and a 2" body lift was installed. It is on 35" swamper radials that are now also more than 20 years old. We with the help of some friends fixed the rust and got the truck ready for a repaint. The truck was originally slate blue. The factory paint job did not hold up well, so in the mid 1980's I had it repainted with Imron that was similar to the original slate blue. When it came time to repaint it again, my son chose House of Color True Blue Pearl. He and another friend with a machine shop made custom front and rear bumpers that he designed. The restoration was completed in the 2004-time frame.

When I got the truck in October, it was not running, had been sitting outside for several years, and generally needed some TLC. Since then, I've been working on getting it revived. The truck now drives pretty well. It has some paint issues that I plan to get addressed soon. The good friend that painted the truck 20 years ago is going to try to fix some areas where the paint is delaminating, and some surface rust has formed. There is still no significant rust in the truck. I'm in the process of getting the original factory air working again and cleaning up some wiring issues. I bought a tonneau cover for it from Craftec that fits nice and will make it easier to put a car cover on the truck, since for now it will be kept on a carport since I am out of garage space.

Still trying to figure out the future plans for this truck. The old tires and the stock springs with the add-a-leafs makes for a rough ride. Plus, shocks are now more than 20 years old. My wife wants me to lower it some so she can get in it. I need new tires for sure, maybe 33" rather than 35's. Thinking about new wheels, although I'm not certain why other than the ones that are on it are 16" and might want a larger diameter and a different style. The engine starts easily and runs pretty good now for what it is. When my son installed it he put an edelbrock intake, camshaft (I think) and headers on it. It also has a nearly new edelbrock carb. That said, 35" tires with 3.73 gears the 360 is a bit underpowered. Maybe an engine swap at some point? Always thought a big block Mopar would be nice in there and make plenty of power for a Sunday cruiser. Anyway, for right now just getting it reliable and as comfortable as possible for summer cruising.

Thanks for allowing me to be part of this forum,

John
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

akguy09

Re: New to forum

Post by akguy09 »

Is that bed cover custom?
1979 Jeep J-10 304/T-18
2017 Jeep JK 2DR
2021 PowerWagon

Yeller

Post by Yeller »

Gorgeous truck! Welcome aboard.

Second the bed cover question.
The bus I ride is so short it is a yellow Smart Car full of squirrels, monkeys and clowns.

1970 J2500 Resto Mod
https://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewt ... 12&t=21395

1974 Bronco “Broncno”
https://classicbroncos.com/forums/threa ... st-3411909

Kowpie

Post by Kowpie »

Welcome John. The truck is beautiful but the backstory is what is amazing. What a blessing to have the truck back that you bought new and to know the complete lineage. Especially since it has only been you and your son owning it. Third the cover question.
'65 Wagoneer, 230 OHC, IFS, Column Shift T90/D20
'73 J4000, 6000#, 258, T18/D20, 33", full disc.
'79 CJ7, 304, T18/D20, 35", 4.56, SOA, shackle reversal.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Welcome to the forum!

Amazing truck! Love the color.

I think you should consider regearing for 35’s if you keep them. A more powerful engine will offset the gearing issue, but will also put more load on the transmission.

33’s will drive better, but may look a bit small with your lift.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

letank

Post by letank »

Cheers to your dedication, what a color, can be seen and not mistaken for a tesla.... or by a tesla...
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

devildog80

Post by devildog80 »

Nice truck.....tell/show us more!
'81 CJ5 Base, 258 I6, MC2100, T176 4 spd, 300 TC, D30 Front NT, 3.31, 2-Piece AMC 20 rear NT, 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift
'84 Grand Wagoneer, 401 V8 (.030 over), Edelbrock clone 1406, 727 auto, Selec-trac NP229, AMC 20 REAR - D44 FRONT - WT 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift
Rather be driving, than waiting to be modified

Topic author
broughj

Post by broughj »

Thanks everyone.

The cover was made by Craftec covers. https://www.crafteccovers.com/ I found them searching for a cover that was close enough in size to the Jeep that I might be able to modify it to fit. I sent them some pictures and measurements and they said they could make me one to fit, but it would take a bit longer to make since they did not have a pattern for the Jeep. The cost for this cover was the same as the covers that they normally sold, $345 IIRC. After I placed the order, I expected to wait, but surprisingly within less than 2 weeks it showed up. It went together pretty easy and installed as they said, with two exceptions. The forward rail is to clamp to the bed side rails and adhere with double sided tape to the front bulkhead of the bed. The clamps would not work for the Jeep, so I screwed it to the bed bulkhead with a few sheet metal screws. The clamp style brackets they provided for the gas lift cylinders to attach to the bed rail didn't fit properly on the Jeep. I made some modifications to them and they now seem to be fine. After the pictures were taken, I removed the cover and painted all the bare aluminum pieces satin black. Craftec was great to deal with and the product seems to be of good quality. How well it holds up over time remains to be seen.

I've added a few pictures of the interior. It is black from the factory. I ordered the truck and selected the slate blue exterior and black interior. After a couple of weeks, the salesman called me and said that blue was the standard interior color with the slate blue exterior. If I still wanted black, they would charge me for a non-standard color combo. I think the charge was around $30. I have the window sticker and all the sales paperwork that show the non-standard color. When the truck showed up with a tan headliner, I complained that it was wrong. Jeep said that it was not and they would not change it, so I begrudgingly accepted it. I've always wondered if they told me the truth since the tan seems so out of place with the black. During the restoration we left it tan since that is how it was from new. I also optioned the truck with 3.31 gears and 10R15 tires on the white wagon wheels. The axles were sold during the restoration when my son decided to go with the 8 lug J20 axles, and no idea what happened to the wheels and caps. I also ordered it without a radio and installed a Pioneer AM/FM cassette player within days of getting the truck. I did not realize that when I ordered the Jeep without a radio that it would come with no provision to mount the antenna. So, I had to drill a big hole in the cowl of my brand-new truck. I was not sure exactly where the hole for the antenna was to be, I guessed and took a chance. I suspect it isn't absolutely in the correct place, but it is close enough to have worked for the past 40+ years.

R/ John
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Yeller

Post by Yeller »

I second Stuka on the regear, even a more powerful engine will be happier.

Still marveling at the truck and the lineage!
The bus I ride is so short it is a yellow Smart Car full of squirrels, monkeys and clowns.

1970 J2500 Resto Mod
https://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewt ... 12&t=21395

1974 Bronco “Broncno”
https://classicbroncos.com/forums/threa ... st-3411909

will e

Post by will e »

Welcome. Sexy beast you built there.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

sonic4014

Post by sonic4014 »

Nice!!! I'm jealous!
2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo
2024 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT