New (to me) woodworking tools

Area for General NON-Jeep related chat. Topics are typically not moderated, but must fall within the Use Guidelines.

Topic author
Blazer3664

New (to me) woodworking tools

Post by Blazer3664 »

I know we have a few woodworkers here.
I just ran across some planes for half of new price, from an estate sale.
Looking at the blades they have never been honed, just factory edges.
Since I bought them I went ahead and picked up a set of Sweetheart chisels as well. I would have liked to have the matching Lie Nielsen version, but these work, for the price.

Preview, with my supervisor telling me that one is his....

and fully exposed.........
These are my first Lie-Nielsen planes, but I do have a pair of Veritas already.
So my stable now consists of....
#7 jointer
bevel up jack (Veritas - not shown)
#4 smoother
Bevel up smoother (Veritas - not shown)
2) 60 1/2 block planes - the Lie-Nielsen shown, and a Stanley(not shown)
Large shoulder plane
Curved bottom spokeshave

Not a bad start, now I just need ....(counting fingers........then toes......) well, a few more.
They are like FSJs, you never have enough of them.

Jim
AMC 360, junkyard TBI, 4L80e
NWF doubler w/ upside down 203
SOA D60/14B-FF
custom shackle flip w/F150 springs
H1 wheels + (for now) tires
-----Coming Soon-----
snorkels, home brew OBA+OBW

4x4Dad

Re: New (to me) woodworking tools

Post by 4x4Dad »

Great find.

What do you like to build? I've done a bit of furniture building, but I enjoy building guitars, mostly electric, more.
Tucker

88 Grand Wagoneer, recently rebuilt AMC 360, Howell TBI, Mallory HEI distributor, Doug Thorley headers, Magnaflow exhaust, NP242 with SYE, TF727, NO LEAKS!, 5-6" total lift (BJ's 4" inch spring lift + 2" blocks out back and 1" shackle lift out front), 1" body lift, 3.31 gears with factory tow package, 32" BFG's.

My Jeep has tricked me into thinking I know what I'm doing.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Oh, real tools!

Nice score :)
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
Blazer3664

Post by Blazer3664 »

What do you like to build?
I am working on teaching myself to build furniture. Nothing too fancy, yet, a couple book cases, an end table, and a computer desk so far.

I enjoy the simplicity of working with hand tools. No jigs, or fancy (complicated) set-up, no throwing sawdust everywhere, and quiet enough I can work whenever I want without bothering anyone.

I do have a good table saw, and a router table, but only use them when I have to.

Jim
1978 Cherokee chief AKA = Butt Ugly
Current status = BACK under construction
modified body w/TJ flares
AMC 360, junkyard TBI, 4L80e
NWF doubler w/ upside down 203
SOA D60/14B-FF
custom shackle flip w/F150 springs
H1 wheels + (for now) tires
-----Coming Soon-----
snorkels, home brew OBA+OBW

ScottsMojo

Post by ScottsMojo »

Blazer3664 wrote:
What do you like to build?
I am working on teaching myself to build furniture. Nothing too fancy, yet, a couple book cases, an end table, and a computer desk so far.

I enjoy the simplicity of working with hand tools. No jigs, or fancy (complicated) set-up, no throwing sawdust everywhere, and quiet enough I can work whenever I want without bothering anyone.

I do have a good table saw, and a router table, but only use them when I have to.

Jim
Nice find! Woodworking is one of those arts that soothes the beast. I was fortunate to be raised by a Master Craftsman and as a result of that exposure I too love the feeling that taking a piece of raw stock and turning it into a useful or beautiful item brings. :-bd

bigun

Post by bigun »

Nice score! I have some wooden planes mom bought me years ago, she didn't realize the wood working genes skipped me. My grandpa not only built their house he did the cabinets that are still be used today. I can lay out a square cut and and still cut some odd ball angle unless I use a fence and even then it is iffy. It is so bad one framing crew I used to work with (I'm an electrician) would go into panic mode any time they saw me looking through scrap to make braces for ceiling fans or blocking to move a box over, one of them would stop what he was doing and come over and ask what I needed and where, then put it in for me! The last few jobs I worked with them they had added braces in the center of each room just in case it had a ceiling fan in it

Brizio

Post by Brizio »

Nice! I will be interested to see what you create with them.:)

GentleRF

Post by GentleRF »

I, too do woodworking, when I have the money for the wood to work with, that is. Bookcases I do without glue or dadoing. In the past few years, I've repurposed and rebuilt my bookcases several times over do to moving, getting married, little things like that. I think I'll be looking at projects for good long time. I even scored a six-inch jointer plane (electric) from a neighbor.

Now to get rid of a couple of boxes of two-hp upright Briggs and Stratton engines...

Rick in East Bremerton
Rick in East Bremerton

A little Asperger's goes a long ways.

Make beer, not war.