safari snorkel

Area for Offroad Modification Tech

Topic author
Green&Loud

safari snorkel

Post by Green&Loud »

This isn't a mod ill get to anytime soon, but I was wondering if anyone has made a custom safari style snorkel for a fsj? You know, one that doesn't look like a ghetto rigged pvc pipe with cotton balls shoved in it for a filter ;) I'm thinking about a snorkel in a year or 2, just wanted some ideas to build off of. Thanks to all!
'76 j10- currently in project mode
"Hey y'all, watch this!" means get out the camera
FSJ related donations now being accepted

Gumby

Re: safari snorkel

Post by Gumby »

Totally useless running a carb, IMHO.
1984 GW 360/727/208.... 4"/ 31"
2004 CRD QC SRW 3500 4X4 (DD)
1983 "project Dubya" (long term)

Topic author
Green&Loud

Post by Green&Loud »

What's the best option with a carb then?

wewillsurvive

Post by wewillsurvive »

I would disagree anything that will help keep water out of carb is a benefit. It won't make it waterproof but it will make it more difficult to get water in it.

I am no help as to what to use though and with the fender hood setup it maybe rather difficult.
1972 Dodge Demon with a 451" stroker Big Block
1986 Jeep Grand Wagoneer AMC 360" AKA Golddigger- SOLD
2003 Dodge Crewcab 2500 Cummins longbed 4x4
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee V-6 full time 4x4

Alternators, winches, 4x4, guns all have the same issue if you don't have any knowledge of them usually bad things will happen. Serehill

HowardT64

Post by HowardT64 »

One day I will get one...for now the suspension is the main issue :)
2016 Jeep Patriot
"Faith"

Fleg

Post by Fleg »

wewillsurvive wrote:I would disagree anything that will help keep water out of carb is a benefit. It won't make it waterproof but it will make it more difficult to get water in it.

I am no help as to what to use though and with the fender hood setup it maybe rather difficult.
If your in water so deep that water could get in your carb with the stock setup then you have bigger problems.

Atla

Post by Atla »

Fleg wrote:If your in water so deep that water could get in your carb with the stock setup then you have bigger problems.
Truth.

Are you actually going to be crossing rivers? Or is it just for the coolness factor? (Nothing wrong with that btw)

But if your going to need it, than you'll need to do some more work on waterproofing.
~Atla. (I'm just here for the pictures)
1983 J-10
2001 TJ

My Build Thread - http://fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2722

Blazer3664

Post by Blazer3664 »

Everybody is right about the water, lot more problems to worry about before the carb.

One thing about a snorkel that a lot of folks overlook though. If you run dusty dirt/gravel roads much, it will help get clean(er) air to your filter.

To me a snorkel for water is more for those instances where its " OH POO.... that is deeper than it was last time!!!!" Then you get the heck OUT of the water (hopefully) and CHECK EVERYTHING for contamination.
There are a lot of ways for water to get in things that are supposed to have oil in them. Milkshake oil doesn't lube things very well.

If you plan to go swimming any deeper than the bottom of you axles, save yourself some suffering, get out of your FSJ first. ;)

Jim
1978 Cherokee chief AKA = Butt Ugly
Current status = BACK under construction
modified body w/TJ flares
AMC 360, junkyard TBI, 4L80e
NWF doubler w/ upside down 203
SOA D60/14B-FF
custom shackle flip w/F150 springs
H1 wheels + (for now) tires
-----Coming Soon-----
snorkels, home brew OBA+OBW

Topic author
Green&Loud

Post by Green&Loud »

:funnypost:

As mentioned above, I'm more interested in it for the clean air factor. I don't plan on crossing any deep water, but if I do, id much rather have a litttle water in the oil than a completely water logged and non running engine. While I realize that a snorkel wont completely model the water out of the carb, its just one more barrier between myself and my doom.

And yes, it looks cool too :D

Fleg

Post by Fleg »

That clean air thing is a myth as well. Next time your driving down a dirt road behind a car stick your head out the window and enjoy that clean air!

Topic author
Green&Loud

Post by Green&Loud »

Ill be sure to do that. I was watching a documentary on the new American Expedition Vehicle jeep truck and they were talking about how they put snorkels on their trucks not only for water crossing purposes, but also to help keep dirt and dust out of the air filter. You are definately right about getting crop dusted behind a car on a dirt road, but it would help to have the intake higher when you're not behind someone. I end up with dust all in my engine compartment after a drive down a dirt road from the front tires stirring up dust. My roof, on the other hand, is usually pretty clean. And when you follow behind a car its not going to matter whether its under the hood or on the roof, you're in a cloud either way.

So thats what ill choose to believe, but thanks for your input! After all, if nobody questioned theories the world would still be flat :D

Jesse baker

Post by Jesse baker »

what jerry did to his Cherokee is the best and economical idea. he3 routed his air filter through the cab. I agree with the whole dust theory, have you seen heavy equipment? next time you do look for there air intake.

Fleg

Post by Fleg »

Jesse baker wrote:what jerry did to his Cherokee is the best and economical idea. he3 routed his air filter through the cab. I agree with the whole dust theory, have you seen heavy equipment? next time you do look for there air intake.
It's mounted where it is on heavy equipment due to the huge size of the filter. Where else are you going to mount it?

Southern Gorilla

Post by Southern Gorilla »

Getting water in the carb isn't only an issue with deep water. Splashing in shallow water can get water all over the engine compartment. Especially with the fan slinging it around. And the "cool" factor can't be denied.

Speaking of cool, a snorkel is also a fantastic cold air intake system.

What would be really cool would be if somebody made these in a scale more suitable to FSJs;
Having seller's regret.

serehill
Vendor

Post by serehill »

Lots of snorkels systems have been made. There are several universal kits you can install that are perfect. When starting to consider this you must also consider the entire electrical system. ECM, distributor, coil, Firewall plug & alternator will all be affected. Also if the water gets high enough that the snorkel is needed there will be about 18" of water in the interior. Before the rig gets that Kind of water in it will float for about 30 seconds unless you drill a bunch of holes in it.

But to reduce splatter at lower water level the snorkel will help. You should also consider you need to convert to an electric fan with a Bypass switch.

You might want to consider just for the simplicity of it connecting your air cleaner into the vent cowl simplest and functional clean & cheap.
Once you google the snorkel kit you'll see. This will become an option when you see the cost of the snorkels. It's been done a lot.
1980 Honcho 258 4 speed mostly stock with 4 " lift.

WIP

You know the rude dude from IFSJA

1980 Cherokee wrangled & mangled
MSD complete system
Eddy intake
Holley 650
Comp cam 270H
4" Rusty's
Ramsey 12K winch
Built to drive not sit in the garage.

No longer strangled. I didn't build it for anyone else.
If you can't improve it why waste your time?

Southern Gorilla

Kidding aside, I found what I think would be the most practical style snorkel for a regular FSJ;
That gives you a cold air intake and decent splash protection. The shrouded intake should even help a bit with dust. Best of all, I can easily see using PVC bits for a DIY version. It also looks more subdued. And it isn't hanging out in the way of everything.
Having seller's regret.

jaber
Vendor

Post by jaber »

The part that stands in my mind is that when I have certain passengers even a small, shallow puddle will soak the hood, windshield, and passy side, in all of my Jeeps. Using that style, or even the cowl is not much improvement to me.
Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 Cummins service truck
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/

Fleg

Post by Fleg »

Not to mention every single snorkel I've seen installed havr used feet of PVC pipe and multiple elbows to install it adding a lot of restrictions.

haminawag

Post by haminawag »

serehill wrote:Also if the water gets high enough that the snorkel is needed there will be about 18" of water in the interior. Before the rig gets that Kind of water in it will float for about 30 seconds unless you drill a bunch of holes in it.
That's funny, if the water gets too deep you'll drown but your Jeep will make it through to the other side, I can see it on the news now, "...film at 11:00". But he's right, if this is a deep water issue then you have a LOT of other things to think about before worrying whether the carb. will ingest water. If the alternator swamps it could kill your ignition system. then you'd need a good battery and a winch, (and maybe a life jacket). If the distributor swamps...well...back to the winch and life jacket.

If it's a clean air issue then just be sure you have a good air filter. But if you REALLY just want a snorkle, then nothing looks cooler than about 4 feet of round ducting sticking straight up through your hood, like a velocity stack on steroids. :lol:
Let us not forget what our fathers taught us.

Ham-in-a-Wag
1967 Plymouth Fury
1979 Wagoneer
2000 RAV4

Southern Gorilla

jaber wrote:The part that stands in my mind is that when I have certain passengers even a small, shallow puddle will soak the hood, windshield, and passy side, in all of my Jeeps. Using that style, or even the cowl is not much improvement to me.
Interesting. It is possible to install that style with a longer tube. That would solve that problem. But then it becomes a visibility issue. I like that style because it doesn't look like the normal snorkel. The usual style seems a bit like the 4x4 equivalent of "rice" to me.
Having seller's regret.